A newbie start to training

nholmes88

White Belt
Reaction score
Right now I'm not much to look at. I stand 5'11" 1/2 inches and weigh 218 pounds. I have not done any vigorous training in a few years. I want to get down to a healthy weight like 190 but still keep my strength. So I guess I should not do any lifting until I drop that much weight? What did you do when you first got started? I live in a bad neighborhood so I really cant just jog down the block with a clear mind. I can get a gym membership I guess. All newbie advice will be taken seriously, thanks.

u got a bunch of options
1. buy a treadmill
2. locate a swimming pool
3. gym membership or mma gyp membership
4. body resistance exercises like crunches, pushups and the like, try rosstraining.com

u got a bunch of options
1. buy a treadmill
2. locate a swimming pool
3. gym membership or mma gyp membership
4. body resistance exercises like crunches, pushups and the like, try rosstraining.com

Should I not lift weights until I am down to my goal? Or should I lift light weights while dropping my weight?

Should I not lift weights until I am down to my goal? Or should I lift light weights while dropping my weight?

im not an expert at any of this, but im pretty sure u can lift weights and loose weight at the same time, but u have to be lifting differently inorder to loose weight.

Read the FAQs of the strength and power forum. If you seriously think lifting weights will be anything but a benefit to your weight loss, you need to smarten up.

im not an expert at any of this, but im pretty sure u can lift weights and loose weight at the same time, but u have to be lifting differently inorder to loose weight.

You and Lose. Jesus

now spelling "lose" as loose that was just a typo,

Twice?

Think of it this way. I don't know you. None of us on here know you. Our only way of determining what kind of a person you are is by the way you come across through text.

You're a lazy SOB is what I'm picking up. Oh, wait, and you like men.

I guess I'll do a little lifting. I mainly want to get my stamina in top shape (running without stopping) then once I am happy with my fat ratio and stamina I'll get hardcore and start training up from 190 who knows I might get back to 210 or so, that would be a pretty good weight to fight anyone at.

You've got the same goals as me. I run 3 miles every morning, then two-three times a week i do some kettlebells or pushup/situp/squat variation. Add in some sport and you're there.

Or lift some weight and do some intervals.

If you live in a bad neighbourhood then it should help you run faster, no?

You've got the same goals as me. I run 3 miles every morning, then two-three times a week i do some kettlebells or pushup/situp/squat variation. Add in some sport and you're there.

Or lift some weight and do some intervals.

If you live in a bad neighbourhood then it should help you run faster, no?

It's bad enough in a vehicle, I can't image trying to jog in peace.

But thanks for the information....I can probally do it early in the morning. Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and run as far as I can then run back.

dude lift weights for sure. by lifting weights you build lean muscle mass, the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories your burn feeding said muscle mass. you m e t a bolism is also jacked up trying to recover from a good lifting session

Start off with dynamic stretching (look that up) and then have a good warm up.

Do you're workout and finish with static stretching (look taht up).

As for the workout, do different body weight workouts to start and then some running afterwards. The next day if you're sore just focus on running. Over time trying going to the store and buying some weights for a much needed increase in resistance.

I'd recommend a bar and 2 dumb bells (the kind where you can put the plates on yourself and then screw it on) and of course a bunch of plates so you can adjust it to the weight you want. Plus a bench.

In my personal experience, I have found way more benefit from lifting weights and cardio for losing weight as opposed to cardio alone. Since your body is healing and building from the weight lifting exercises, it increases your ****bolism for HOURS after each work out, which in turn burns more calories than a single cardio routine. You may gain a little weight at first as you start to build some muscle, but your 'shape' and athleticism will be improving regardless of what a scale tells you. Concentrate on what your body looks and feels like as opposed to what 'number' your weight is at. Especially for the first few weeks. Eventually, your weight will take care of itself as you continue your work-out program.

I would suggest doing a workout that covers your whole body and uses weights that restrict you to 3 sets of 10. As your strength improves, increase the weights and keep pushing yourself to more weight at the same reps. Superset your workout movements too to keep your heart-rate up. A good example of such a work out is called "Get ripped like Brad Pitt from Fight Club in 12 weeks" or something like that. I don't want to post any links or anything cause I not sure if that is an offense ?? Work out 3-4 times a week for about 45-60 minutes each and run on your days off for a minimum of 20 minutes. If you don't see results that you are happy with after doing this for 2 months....I would be really surprised.

Good luck man.

You don't really want to look like Brad Pitt in fight club. Well maybe you do but then I'd say you're misguided. In Fight Club his shoulders and arms were overdeveloped and he had very low body fat %. If you look at him, his chest, back and legs were under-developed. Take a look at this article:

Brad Pitt article on StrongLifts

The routine that he did (from what I've read online, who knows if it's true) was a typical bodybuilder routine that focused entirely on upper body. I believe the TS mentioned something about fighting so if he is interested he would be better served with a more full-body routine. Of course it should be mentioned that the biggest part of losing weight is diet.

I guess I have to be more specific about the "Fight Club" work out. Scroll down on this page:

SIX PACK ABS WORKOUT PROGRAM

It is pretty well rounded for a beginner. I know guys from the strength forum are all over squats and deadlifts and that is fine, but for a total newbie....this is a good start to get the whole body going.

Twice?

Think of it this way. I don't know you. None of us on here know you. Our only way of determining what kind of a person you are is by the way you come across through text.

You're a lazy SOB is what I'm picking up. Oh, wait, and you like men.

yes im lazy when it comes to punctuation and spelling when im posting on sherdogs forums... boo hoo... i think i should be scorned and stoned by society for committing such an atrocious act. As for liking men.... its best not repeat insults your "friends" say to u

I guess I have to be more specific about the "Fight Club" work out. ....

Yeah that is better than the workout that I've seen reported as the one that Brad Pitt did for Fight Club. I guess the one that you linked is designed to make you look ripped but isn't actually the one that Brad Pitt did, which is probably for the better. Personally I think it's a bit complicated for a beginner (too many different exercises and fancy equipment, stick to the basic to get started IMHO) but it appears to be fairly well-rounded at least.

Back