A new beginning. Guilineseguys new log...no more screwing around.

Definitely enjoying having a gym that opens before 3:30pm. And that doesn't close at 9pm. The commercial gym is nice but gets crowded. And its crowded with the worst gym idiots ever. Never seen so much 3-4 man bench press in the smith machine in my life. Assisted curling is something you can probably see everyday. Its sick,and gross. But not so bad because that means the squat rack and regular bench is almost always free. (these guys fight over the smith machine.) I usually have to clear a spot for pressing and deadlifting, but there is always space. I have a video of a three man,half rep bench in the smith machine. It was pretty epic. I'll try to post it on youtube, but chances are it will have to be put on a chinese site.

That other gym i was going to,I think the weights and everything were not quite what they were marked as. Things seem slightly heavier at the commercial gym. Not sure if it is because one had the shorter,solid bars marked as 10kg, and the other gym has regular oly bars. Maybe the length plays a role? Or maybe the weights were slightly off. Not so much it is effecting my training maxes, but seems a bit heavier.

So this has effected my goals for the week. Instead of basing it off of previous reps bests,I will establish new ones, bust my ass for them. And then go on. I will keep the old ones in mind, and will do my best to beat them, but as mentioned earlier not sure if the old gym I was lifting what I thought I was lifting. (THIS DO NOT EFFECT THE COMP. BOTH OF THOSE MAXES WERE DONE AT THE COMMERCIAL GYM)

Glad to be feeling better. Had a nasty flu last week,fever,sore throat. Now I feel great, also just loaded up on some nachos. Usually not huge news.. But as some of you know I live in China, so it is HUGE. Nachos are super rare here, and they were wonderful.

5/3/1 cycle 2 week 2 day1 press (for now on my training week will start on sunday with the press, or maybe end with it not quite sure)

5's 65%,75%,85% of 57.5kg training max.

warm up barx?, 30kgx5, 35kgx5

worksets 40kgx5,45kgx5,50kgx7
50x7x.0333=11.655+50= 61.655kg not my best but will improve it. These were alsostrict no leg drive at all.

assistance (I am no longer doing 5x10 on assistance. seeing if it helps on the main lifts,) Might switch every few cycles. switch BBB for 3 sets of 10. After all I don't care what I look like, I just care about what I put up.

press 30kgx10, 32.5kgx10, 35kgx10
behind the neck press 30kgx a rough 10. 25kgx10 2 sets

delt raises side, front, back 15kg 3 x10

Have to press more, and be consistent. The commercial gym is nice, can clean the weight up to press it. And then behind the neck can adjust the rack to do them again. Just have to go at noon to avoid the...well you know. So have to get on my sleep schedule and eating. Hopefully the transition is quick and painless.

5/3/1 cycle 2 week2 day 2 squats 65%,75%,85% of 145kg training max 5's

warm ups barx? 50kgx5, 70kgx5

work sets 95kgx5, 110kgx5, 125kgx5 2 sets

I have no clue what the problem was today, but 125kg was crushingly heavy and was only able to do 5 reps of it. I wasn't going to accept it, so I went and did it again. I have no clue why though. Either the other gym, the weights are off, or it's the fact I use 25kg plates now instead of 15's, or the bar, or the foam rubber matting they have on the floor (the jigsaw looking stuff you put in a kids play room, the fact I worked out yesterday and am used to training every other day, or just me today. Whatever it was it was not fucking cool and has to stop. Its bullshit 125kg should have been easy and it felt like it was 140kg on there. Not cool. It almost ruined my workout,but i pushed on

assistance 80kgx10 3 sets
front squats 50kgx10 3 sets (meant to do 55kg, but didn't)
leg curls 80lbsx10 3 sets

Not happy with this workout. But not too pissed, after all I got back under the bar to do another set, but I do not like the fact that either I am regressing, or something is going on. It can't always be christmas in the gym, I know,but fuck. It should not have been like that.

Any ideas? Anyone?

5/3/1 cycle 2 week2 day3 Bench press 5's 65%,75%,85% based off 82.5kg training max.

warm ups barx? 40kgx?

worksets 55kgx5, 65kgx5, 70kgx10

Not a rep PR but great when last week only managed 7, and after having a shitty few days at this gym. Last two reps were grinders. But they came up.

assistance 50kg 3x10
close grip 42.5kg 3x10
curls/ tricep pushdowns. curls 50lbs, 60lbs 50lbs x10 (on a curling barbell)
pushdowns 80lbs, 100lbs, 120lbs x10

Again felt good after having such a shitty few days at this gym. Hoping it carries over to next week where I will work up to a max.

5/3/1 cycle 2 week 2 day 4 deadlift. 5's 65%,75%,85%

warm ups 60kg, 90kgx?

worksets 100kgx5, 115kgx5, 130kgx10

deadlifts felt light and came up fast. 130kg is not really that heavy, but I don't think I have ever pulled it this fast and this clean. Really felt good, especially after waking up with a sore, tight lower back. So I was thinking "do my sets reps and done" But after 5 it just felt so good I busted out 5 more. Definitely had a few more in me. But left them there.

assistance 90kgx10 3 sets

rows 50kgx10, 60kgx10 2 sets

Yesterday these things were fast and explosive, and done with pretty awesome form. I usually have trouble staying in the bent over position when I pull. But not yesterday. They were fast,explosive and just all around awesome. Felt good after these.

shrugs 60kgx15, 82.5kgx15 2 sets

Just an all around good day training yesterday. All of the "its heavy" shit is out of my head, and I am now just focusing on moving the weight. First truly awesome day at the new gym. Everything felt great. Next week I will either work up to a new max,or I will just try to do my training max as many times as i can. I'll figure it out today. I have the next three days off, so I have time to think.

Well here is my plan for this next week, which is the 5/3/1 week. The last cycle I lifted for a new 1 rep max. But I am not going to do that this cycle. Instead I will try to lift my training max for as many reps as i can. And have a few ideal reps I will hit this week.

Squat 145kg. I want 3 reps with this. If I hit three I might just rack it and be happy with it. But then again if I have enough in me I may take it to 4 or maybe even 5. But 3 is the goal. 3 reps will be a new 3 rep max for me.

Bench press. 82.5kg I also want 3 reps with this. I haven't done 3 reps with this yet. But I will be doing it this week. If I hit three I'll rack it and call it. Its not going to be easy.

deadlift. 160kg (I mistook this a few times and based stuff off of 155kg) I tried to triple with it on triples week, and I missed the third rep. Right before I came down with that flu. I'm sure I can triple it this time. I know I will.

press. 57.5kg. This one is going to be interesting. I maybe able to do up to 5 reps with this one. So this is the only open one this time around. I'm going to try and hit it for as many reps as possible.

Those are the goals of the upcoming training week. I am now going to lift Monday-squat, Tuesday-bench, Thursday-deadlift, Friday-press. Since I am just switching back over to the commercial gym. I am just going to go earlier, and do all four lifts every week. I also need to get back on my goals for the week, and so on and so forth.

I am going to change most of my assistance this upcoming cycle. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. Probably will see how this next week goes, and see where I need. After working with my training maxes I think I will have a better idea of what I need to throw into the mix. But thats what I have planned to do for the week. I may not even do an actual 1 rep max until the end of july when my summer vacation starts. Hopefully when I do the three lifts total 1000lbs. Thats basically the goal for now.

Well some good and bad news. Bad first of course. Went and measured weights at the gyms today. Commercial gym loaded 120kg on the scale, and it came out to 118kg. Other gym, loaded 130kg on the scale and it came out to 123kg. BIG difference. Which is where all of my training maxes were based off of. So all of my training maxes are off when I go back to the commercial gym. 125kg weighed 118kg not 125kg. So Last week when 125 felt heavy , It was because before 125 wasn't that it was much less. The culprits were two 15kg plates that actually only weighed 12kg, bars were 9, and 7.5kgs So even my bench and press were off a bit. So I am going to re adjust them and start over. Because the weights being off and two my lower back really tightened up after my squats. So I may re adjust and start over. But being I will re adjust I may just continue on. So for the next upcoming cycle my maxes will be the following.

squat 145kg one rep max- 90% of 145= 130 kg
bench press 85kg 1 rep max 90% of 85kg = 76.5 so 75kg
deadlift 165kg 1 rep max 90% of 165 =148.5 so 150kg.
press 60kg 1 rep max, 90% of 60kg 54kg, so 55kg.

I'm not exactly happy about this one bit. But also figure it will help, and will only take a few months to actually get where I thought I was. This also throws my comp lifts off a bit. But I'm now where I need to be and can now go between gyms and have no more problems. I may just start over and go back to 3's this week. Not my idea of great, but now i can go where ever and know what I should actually be using.

Also screws my plans for a goal of 1000lbs by summer. Well maybe not. I will still try my best to get there by then. And it will be even that much sweeter if I make it. But just my fricking luck. I will set a new set of goals later. Now I have togoand eat at mymother in laws house. Sweet and sour fish! woo hoo!

The great reset

5/3/1 cycle 2.5 week 1 day 1 bench ( I squatted yesterday so this week bench is first day. Next week will go back to squat)

3's 70%, 80%, 90% of training max (75kg)

warm ups barx? 35kgx? 42.5kgx? 50kgx?

I am going to start taking more warmups and smaller warm up jumps. Seen this in a Brandon Lily video, a Dave Hoff video, and ed coan also says take more warm ups. So I am doing just that. Actually felt really good with it as well. All reps paused on the chest.

worksets 55kgx3, 60kgx3, 65kgx3

heavy triples 70kgx3, 75kgx3 (3 sets)

All reps were paused on the chest. Even the 75kg sets. Now the number is lower than what I had my maxes at before, but 75kg at the commercial gym is 75kg, give or take a kg. Where as the other gym a real 75kg, would have been more like 80kg or so. (damn weights saying one weight and being another) I was just surprised I was able to get all three reps paused. Not really that hard either.

assistance 40kgx10, 45kg x10 2 sets
Last set not paused on the chest, just done as fast and under control as i could.

close grip 30kgx?, 35kgx10x?
These were slow decent, paused on the chest, and then pushed back into place as explosively as possible...well all my reps today were. The second set I am pretty sure I stopped at 10. The others I am sure I went over.

curls 50kg x10 3 sets
tricep extensions 20lbs x10 3 sets

Today was all about form, slow decent, pause, and explode off the chest. Shoulders back, back squeezed tight, tight grip on the bar. I also hurt some muscles on my outer thigh/glute area so I was afraid to go for my usual arch, but found I like a smaller arch, and more back on the bench. Felt very stable, and was able to press back against the bar much better. I was really happy with the way this workout went. And happy to have my REAL numbers to work with, Just have to weight shit when I go to the old gym. Those numbers were way off. Which threw off my workout when I go to the commercial gym. So the loads will be the same at the old gym. I'll just know it's less than what it looks like, so will have to add small plates to make it up. But the commercial gym I am pretty much good to go. Figured fuck it reset. Go through a cycle with no interuptions or fuck ups and then continue accordingly.

5/3/1 cycle 2.5 week 1 day 3 deadlift 3's @ 70%,80%,90% of 150kg training max.

warm ups 60kgx5, 80kgx5, 90kgx3, 100x3

work sets 105kgx3, 120kgx3, 135kgx3

heavy triples 140kgx3, 145kgx3, 150kgx3

Lower back was tight and sore after the first few warm ups. Very uncomfortable, but I kept going. Ended up going to my goal of a triple with 150kg. After the first few worksets my back felt better. And was able to finish what I wanted to get to.

Assistance defict deadlifts
60kgx5, 90kgx5 2 sets, 110kgx5
And these were low, the bar seriously was just barely above my foot. Any lower and i couldn't get my feet under the bar. I also figured 5x5 will work good for this since the load will be slightly more than usual assistance. I only did 4 sets today.

rows 60x10, 65kgx10 2 sets

shrugs 80kgx15 3 sets

Good workout. Didn't like the lower back feeling crappy there for a bit. But ended up not being that big of a deal.

Haven't been on here for a while. Haven't really even been on Sherdog at all. Been pounding through a bunch of power project videos. And starting strength interviews.

I was at the bar last night, and a good friend of mine who is a pretty famous tattoo artist here in China was spitting out some ideas he had for a tattoo for me. (I have no tattoos, and am pretty much a pussy when it comes to needles) Basically a huge back tattoo of a bear squatting a shit ton of weight. I am pretty hairy so I get called a bear, or a monkey alot......more monkey, But I am thinking of getting it. It might be pretty cool.

Any way here is my overhead workout from sunday

5/3/1 cycle 1 (the great reset) day 3 overhead press
main exercise: strict press

warmups barx? 30kgx?, 35x?,

worksets 40kgx3, 45kgx3, 50kgx3,

heavy triple 55kgx3
I was surprised at how well 55kg went. I definitely had a few more kgs in me, but I am sticking to my plan. Now that I have it dialed in, I am just getting my goal for the day and then moving on.

assistance- behind the neck press. barx10, 30kgx10, 35kgx10
I haven't done these since I was doing 20 reppers, Might even switch this with the strict press every now and then. 35kg my bicep started to really hurt and felt weird on the last few reps.

delt flies front, side and back ? 3x10

I thought I lost my notebook,but it was at the gym. One of the trainers found it and put it in his locker. But this was late when I went and he wasn't there. So my notebook was there. Of course Monday on the way to the gym, i buy a new notebook. And low and behold I show up and the guy is like, "oh I have your notebook" so I didn't write down anything. I just know the worksets for sure. I was going to do a few more triples with 55kg. I should have, but didn't.

5/3/1 cycle 1 (the great reset) day 4 squats 3's 70%,80%,90% of 130kg training max
Main movement: Back squat

warm ups barx?, 40kgx?,45kgx?,50kgx? 60kgx? 70kgx? 80kgx?
worksets. 90kgx3, 105kgx3, 120kgx3,

heavy triples 125kgx3, 130kgx3
130kg first rep was ugly, but I had my stance a bit too wide. I need to get that back under control. My best position is just at shoulder width, and i was a bit wider than that. But the other two went really good. Again meant to do a few triples with it, but didn't.

assistance squats. 80kg 3x10
front squats 65kg 3x10
leg curls 90lbs? 3x10
seated calves 110lbs 3x10

the seated calves were ridiculous, I felt like my calves were going to explode. Its the first time doing them, I actually like it more than doing them with a barbell. Lots of warm ups, and felt good.

5/3/1 cycle 1 (the great reset) day 1 bench 5's 65%, 75%, 85% of 75kg training max
main movement: paused rep bench press

warmups barx?,30kgx?,40kgx?

worksets 50kgx5, 55kgx5, 60kgx10, 60x5

Thats is a definite paused rep record. And it was not so hard. But the goal was 10 paused reps and I got it. So I then moved on.

assistance 45kg 3x10 (paused)
close grip 35kg, 40kg, 45kg 3x10 (paused)
curls 15kg dumbells 3x10, 60lb dumb bell 3x10
tricep extensions 25lb dumb bells 3x10, tri pushdowns ? 3x10 (added weight each set)

I like the paused bench. Helps me keeps tighter, can load the weight into my lats more, and just have better control on the barbell.So I will be sticking to it for a bit, hopefully it will help clean my bench press up.

5/3/1 cycle 1 (the great reset) day 2 deadlift .....5's 65%,75%,85% of 150kg training max

warmups 60kgx5, 90kgx5

worksets 100kgx5, 115kgx5, 130kgx10

This was such an ugh day. I didn't even want to go. But I did and still managed to pull 10 @ 130kg. Same as last time. But this time I felt way shittier, and was just off.

deficit pulls off of 2 25kg plates stacked one on top of the other.
90kgx5, 120kgx5 2 sets

rows 60kgx10

shrugs 90kgx15 2 sets.

shitty day, but happy with what I got in despite the way I was feeling, just tired and sluggish. Shitty sleep, diet, and the fact I drank beer all week probably my main worry. I need more better quality sleep, and food. Need to work on it this week for sure.

5/3/1 cycle 1 (the great reset) week 3 day 1 squat. 5/3/1 based off of 130kg 1 rep max

warm up bar, 50kg,60kg,70kg, 80kg x?

work sets 95x5, 110x3, 125x1

heavy singles 130kgx1 135kgx1

another reset in the great reset. skipped the 5's on the squat just to normalize my routine, and I can be on page during the week. Met my goal of hitting next cycles training max. Felt good today, everything moved nice and fast,and didn't feel crushingly heavy.

assistance 90kgx10 3 sets

front squat 60kgx10 3 sets

leg curl 80lbsx10 3 sets

calf raises ? x10 3 sets

Nice squat workout. Felt good, moved fast, and just happy with the whole day..

5/3/1 cycle the great reset. week 3 day 2 bench press 5/3/1 75%,85%,95% of 75kg tm

warm ups barx? 30kgx5, 35kgx5, 40gx5, 45kgx5, 50kgx5, 55kgx5

worksets 60kgx5, 65kgx3, 70kgx1

heavy singles 75kgx1, 80kgx1

All reps paused and just nice. 80kg did not move as fast as I wanted, but it moved and kept moving right to lock out. With a nice pause. I actually counted to two before I pressed it, usually I count 1, and then press on two. This time I counted 1,2 and then pressed it. I realize it is 2.5kg passed what my new training max, but it felt good.

assistance 50kgx10 3 sets
close grips 40kgx10 3 sets
curlz, and tricep extensions 60lbsx10, 70lbsx10, 60lbsx10
tri's 15kgx10 3 sets

happy with how this session went, and felt good. Looking forward to eating either tacos, or some kind of meaty pasta all day tomorrow until I crap taco salad, or pasta salad.

5/3/1 cycle the great reset week 3 day 3 deadlifts 5/3/1 75%,85%,95% of 150kg tm

warm ups 60kgx5, 90kgx5, 110x5

worksets 115kgx5, 130kgx3,145kgx1

heavy single 150kgx1, 155kgx1

Pretty good training day. Had a few things come up earlier so I was gonna do a tomorrow and saturday thing. I have the weekend off. But figured fuck it and went anyway.. And kicked butt

assistance deficit pulls 90kgx5, 120kgx5 2 sets

rows 60kgx10 3 sets

shrugs 80kgx15 3 sets

again good training day. rows are feeling good now. Also 80kg on the shrugs allowed me to really control them and work the traps pretty good. The great reset did alot of good for my training. And am glad i did it. its only up from here

5/3/1 cycle the great reset week 3 day 4 press. 75%,85%,95% of 55kg training max a 5/3/1
main movement strict press

warm ups barx? 25kg, 30, 35kg x?

work sets 40kgx5, 45kgx3, 50kgx1

heavy singles 55kgx1, 60kgx1 2 sets

Funny but 60kg went up way easier than 50 did. But the first time I did it I took a few steps backwards. So I did it again and this time stayed in the same spot, and really kicked its ass. Felt good, and no shoulder gnomes to worry about.

assistance behind the neck press. 40kgx8, 35x10 2 sets
delt raises front, side, and back ? 3x10

end of this cycle, well I have deload next week. But the end of the great reset is here, and now it is time to go and go and go. Looking forward to it, I'll figure out whether I am going to keep assistance the same and all that good stuff in the next few days.

Didn't log my deload week. Pointless. So I just skip logging it. Its literally main lift, a few light assistance and go home. Literally 20 minutes in and out. Due to the fact I don't really takes rests in between.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week 1 day 1 squats 3's @ 70%,80%,90% of 135kg training max + heavy triples

main movement: High bar back squat
warm ups barx? 40kgx?, 50kgx3, 60kgx3, 70kgx3, 80kgx3

worksets 95kgx3, 110kgx3, 120kgx3

heavy singles 125kgx3, 130kgx3, 135kgx3

Killed these squats. Really focused on staying tight, (something I don't always do...the great reset I learned being tight is a good thing and I feel less "banged up" afterwards) and also focused on taking a big breath, and keeping as upright as I can through out the movement, and it really seemed to help. I went down and up like a fricking machine. Sucked to go "back" in weight, but when that weight wasn't what you thought it was, and now it is where it needs to be it feels good. Might just skip the next few deloads because the weight isn't so bad. But that is a decision to be made after week 3, not right now.

assistance pause squats 50kgx5, 55kgx5, 60kgx5
I have never done these before so I wanted to play around and see where i was on these. I also screwed up and did only 3 sets instead of the 5x5 I had planned. And I also need to up the weight in these a little even 60kg was pretty easy.

front squats 60kgx10 3sets
After the heavy triples and pause squats these SUCKED, but I powered through them, and at a good speed as well. up, down up down up down, felt good

leg curls 60lbsx10 3 sets.
These I pointed the toes out, and very slow and controlled. Not just trying to throw the weight up as fast as i can.

calf raises 70kgx? 3 sets
they got rid of the seated calf machine and have the stand up one now, but it was not put together yet, so we just used the squat rack.

All in all an awesome training session. What was even better was the all you can eat brasilian bbq we hit up afterwards. I ate so much sushi and oysters last night I thought I was going to explode. It was a rough 4 hours after that. Even coming home and taking a huge dump, and smoking hash until I was cross eyed barely helped.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week1 day 2 bench 3's @ 70%,80%,90% of 77.5kg training max.
main movement: bench press (didn't pause yesterday...i'll explain why in a minute)

warm ups barx?, 25kgx? 30x3, 35kgx3, 40kgx3, 45kgx3, 50kgx3

worksets 55kgx3, 60kgx3, 70kgx3

heavy triples 72.5kgx3, 75kgx3, 77.5kgx3

What happened is I noticed on my 60kg set I was able to stay nice and tight, stay in the groove,and control the weights better on touch and go rather than looking like a weeble wooble, touching different spots, and just all around not good. Yesterday was awesome because even though it was touch and go, it was much better. I will continue to pause, but yesterdays touch and go was nice. Sets were nice and controlled and exploded off the chest nicely.

assistance: Paused bench, 50kgx10 3 sets
This time I am taking some notes from Mark Bell and the power project, I took the bar down as close as i could without touching, paused it and came right back up. So basically bar is either barely touching my t shirt, or just a hair above it, and send it back up. By the third set I was about fried. But it feels like something that will help for sure..we shall see

close grip 40kgx10 3 sets
...again as close as you can get without actually touching and going back up, this was kind of torturous but I managed.

curls barbell 3 sets of 15 reps
tricep pushdown 110lbs 3sets of 10

Made all of my goals once again. Had a good session, and totally felt awesome. I think it may have been the copious amounts of sushi and oysters the night before.

Back