A new beginning. Guilineseguys new log...no more screwing around.

guilineseguy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
A little bit about me
Age 31
weight 88kgs (193lbs)
height 1.72m (5'7)
One lazy ass ginger, but hoping to change this drastically.

Lifts
squat 150kg (330lbs)
deadlift 170kg (374lbs)
bench 87.5kg (192lbs)
strict overhead press 55kg (121lbs)

I have been fucking around with weight training for a few years now. I have not always taken my training seriously though. Hence my numbers suck. So this is a new log for a new year. And new purpose. Training like it means something again. And I am not only talking lifting, this includes eating, sleeping, recovery, and just plain old not being a sack of shit who sits on his couch and reads comics, and watches cartoons all day. I also need to gain strength mentally, I have let myself become way too lazy here in China. And it has carried over to everyday life, if it is hard just don't do it. That also has to change.

Lately I have been program hopping too much, and need to choose one and stick with it. Thats a real problem with me, This also needs to change. And this is what this log will help me in keeping on the right track. Lets all grow bigger and stronger this year.

I also hope to find and compete in some powerlifting meets here in china at some point, and maybe next time I am state side I will compete there as well. But if I can't buckle down and just train, then that will never happen. So Now is the time.

Didn't log my bench workout from yesterday. Which I am glad I didn't good to start of the new log right. I am doing an 8 sets of 3 increasing the weight by whatever I can every week until I stall out, and then will cycle back to 70-75% one week, 80-85 the next, and then 90 the last week and reset. I also took thought to doing a 5/3/1 type set up with slightly higher volume. I used to do 5x5, and the Texas Method, so I like the high volume more than the lower volume in 531. So 8 sets of 3 works nice for me. And maybe adding in the percentages will make it work even better, who knows.

Anyway here's the numbers from last night
Bench barx? 40kgx? 60kgx5, 70kgx3, 72.5x3 77.5x3 (8 sets)

I have definitely found it much easier if I take more warmups, and it showed last night. 77.5kg was pretty rough for the last two sets but I ground through them and got them. Also noticed the nasty sticking point off of the chest. So I am going to incorporate paused benches to hopefully combat that problem. I also think this is where my mental midgetness comes into play, and tells me "77.5 is heavy" But it was an increase of 2.5kg from last week. So I am happy.

bench 60kgx10 3 sets
incline bench 40kgx10, 45kgx10, 2 sets
curls?x10 3 sets
forearm curls ?x10 3 sets.

Forgot what the weight was for the curls. But it wasn't that heavy.

I am also going to limit any assistance to 2-3 lifts after the drop sets of whatever lift I worked that day. Some times I go too crazy on assistance and it wears me out, and makes it harder to perform the main lifts. Which are the most important. I will also probably bump it up to 5x10, like BBB.

So next week the goal is 80kg for 8 sets of 3, maybe 82.5kg if I can get it. We will see for sure next wednesday. I am also going to write my goals for the upcoming week on the weekends, when I sit and figure out what I am going to do, and how much work it is. Hopefully this will also help me in improving each week, instead of having a good week or two, and then a WTF week. I haven't been doing this lately, and when I was doing Texas Method, I was and it helped immensely. So I ave to do this again.

Friday deadlift day
I had some side pains last week after testing my max for the comp. And I didn't pay too much attention to it, although it did start to hurt if i was standing too long. But it went away after a few days. But I definitely felt that again tonight. So I think I may have a slight tear in my oblique muscle on the right side. So I will just have to be careful of that. Maybe back on the squat and deadlift weights if it is a problem next week. It will get a week break during spring festival. (Everything closes down for at least a week here. But I will be walking around stuffed out of my mind for a week)

Deadlift (70% of 1rpm....which I totally spaced on, you'll see)
80kgx5, 100x3, 130x3, 150x3. When I got to 150 I realized I had went higher than I was supposed to, and went down to where I was supposed to be.
120kgx3 5 sets.
I was gonna do 5's this week.But figured threes where good enough once i noticed that pain had come back.

bent over row 40kgx10, 50x10,60x10.
I am getting back into working my back. Texas Method had less deadlifting than I like, and my numbers reflect it. but 60 was pretty good, and still nice and bent over, straight backed.

shrugs 60kgx? 70x? 2 sets
Again just trying to work with a moderate weight, and focusing on form.

I also did both of these strapless this time. I usually strap up for the assistance. But not anymore...my grip will appreciate it.

back extensions 3x10.

assisted pullups. 3x10
I SUCK at pull ups, so I want to get better, this and dips...but my shoulder really hurts when I do dips. It feels like something is being pulled apart in there. But I did 3 or 4 of them wednesday and it wasn't too bad.

And that was it for today. It sucks training here in winter. Especially this winter, its been cold here (It will snow tonight) And the gym isn't heated, in fact my brick and concrete apartment is also freezing. So getting up and going SUCKS. But once I warm up and start getting warm it is all good. Makes the workout go slightly faster as well. I don't want to cool down and start feeling cold. Over the next few days I'll go back over this and last weeks workouts and figure out what I am going to do for next week. And make sure I am improving on what I did last week. Gonna cycle percentages for a while and see how it goes. This time I am sticking to it as well. As long as it works.

Yeah I'm glad everyone liked it. A deadlift comp needs a tribute to the man who died while performing the lift.

Hey, we'll hold you accountable. Kick your ass during your next workout. Peer pressure!

Yeah I don't see it as a big problem. It doesn't hurt that much. I just don't want it to become serious. And like I said i am a month away from a week off. My gym will be closed, and I will be off to my wifes grandmas house for chinese new year

Monday- Squat day. No squats last week (gym was closed AND I had to do some make up classes) But came back nice and strong today
40kgx5, 70kgx5,100kgx5, 120kgx3, 130x3 (7 sets) x6(1 set, last set)

Was really surprised I was able to blast out 6 after 7 sets. But it was actually not so bad, and I probably had two more at least in me. Squats felt good, Next week 135kg for 8 triples.

No assistance work today because I had to run. My wifes friend invited us to the brazilian bbq buffet place. I literally ate until I can't even think of food. Its hard to sit up to type this. It was well worth it. Just an all around awesome day.

Mother in law brings over new oil cooker, dumplings, cooks breakfast, and then proceeds to make us over 100 wontons for wonton soup.

Squat day, and kicks ass even after 7 sets @130kg

Eats tons of meat and seafood and other deliciousness and comes home to veg, and watch FF cartoon.

Been a good day tater.

Been eating regularly, and like a freaking ginger pig again. Up to 90kgs today at the gym. Who knows after I destroyed Mt meat, and seafood.

Also may have another training partner, my buddy taught in another city for the semester, and is coming back. He has supposed to have been doing SS while he was there. Maybe another one to add to the group.

Wednesday Bench workout.
40kgx?, 60kgx5, 70x3, 75x3, 80kgx3 (4 sets) x2(2 sets) 77.5kgx3(2 sets)

I was doing really good on 80kg, but the 5th and 6th set I couldn't get the bar to go up. I pushed and pushed and pushed, but it was not going up. So I backed off 2.5kgs and tripled with that for my last two sets. I'll go at it again next Wednesday (80kg) and hope to hit all my sets and reps. My first few sets were good. Not sure what happened, but like I said I'll hit them all next week for sure.

long pause bench
50kgx10 (3sets)

I brought the bar down until it was touching my chest, counted one mississippi, two mississippi and then tried to press it as explosively and fast, while under control, as I could. These really fatigued my shoulders, something I obviously need to work on.

floor presses
40x10,60x6,60x10

First time ever trying these. And the first set felt super awkward. But then got into the groove of it. Last set I came down a little faster/harder than I wanted and it really caused some pain in my wrist. Its fine and there's no pain now, but forr a few minutes there it wasn't feeling so good.

Then I left, was time to get home shower and go to the new Jackie Chan movie. It was pretty good actually. Can't wait til the 21st when Skyfall finally comes out.

Friday deadlift

Today was a wonderful day for some deadlifts. I seriously kicked some ass. Alot of volume but felt good and strong today so went for it.

Deadlift 70kgx5, 90kgx3, 100x3, 110kgx3,120kgx3,130x3,140x3,150x1 (just showing someone how to deadlift...then Daniel showed up so i let him warm up.) 130x3 (re warm up) 150x3, 155kgx3 160x3, 170x1

160kg for a triple is a personal best for me. 170kg also came up quite easy, so I am sure in two weeks I will pull 172.5, maybe even higher, we will see how it goes. Next week kick it back on percentage for some sets and reps, and then kick it back up. Really enjoying getting back into pulling. Missed it in the Texas Method.

deadlifts
100kgx5 x10 x10 The first set was just slow and steady, then the last two were fast and just nice. These felt great I should have done it with the first set, but you know me.

bent over row
45kgx10, 55x10, 65x10
Again just trying to climb back up, while keeping bent over, back straight back, and an explosive pull from the floor.

shrug
65kg,70kg,75kg,80kgx??
Same as before just trying to keep good form and making sure it is a shrug and not some kind of spasm looking thing.

face pulls ?x10 3 sets

hyper extensions
3x10

Such an awesome workout. Felt great, no soreness, no tired as shit feeling. Just feeling of awesomeness and kick assed ness.

Monday Squat workout
This workout fucking rocked, and you will see why.
warm ups 70kgx3, 90kgx3, 100kgx3,110kgx3,120x3,130x3,135x3 (8 sets) (set/rep PR)

I was able to get it up for two sets before, and then the second rep of the third set left me buried at the bottom. But today it just went fantastic. But I also tore the shit out of another pair of pants. But fuck it I wanted this squat for so long now. I am sure it was part mental with me. But tonight I wanted this thing so bad, and i was not going to be denied.

squats. 70kgx10, 90kgx10 3 sets
I think I am were i should be with these, not too easy but not really hard either.. Just trying to do a picture perfect squat

leg curl ?(heavy)x10 4 sets

hyper extensions 3x10

Nice squat day for me. Felt good and strong. Been on my eating lately. weekends I'm usually not so on it. But I was these last few weeks and it really seemed to help. Next week hoping to hit 137.5kg (minimum, if it goes up good, then maybe 140kg) One of these days I will be squatting which once was my 1rpm. Crazy But apparently when you stick to your plan and make it the days you are supposed to be there, you actually progress. Who' da thunk it eh?

Wednesday bench
40kgx5, 60x5, 70x3, 80x3 7 setsx2 1 set.
I am counting it as 8 sets of three though. I didn't setup right on the failed set, and still managed two and almost hit the third one. But got stuck. And I thought I was going to back off a bit today and work back up. But once I had a few sets in, I felt like I could do it, so i did. But today my shoulder really flared up, and started to get sore really easy. Might take that as a sign to do some more mobility work for my shoulders, and possibly go light next week. But we will see how it feels next week.

Bench
50kg 3x10 paused

incline bench
30x10, 45x7, 40x10

curls, pulldowns, abs 3x?

And called it right there. Left shoulder is just sore and weak as shit right now. Might need to get in more actual shoulder work, or just take it easy on the pressing for the time being and let it rest. But we will have to see how it goes next week. I also have been feeling a slight pain in my left forearm from typing and playing video games on my laptop. So maybe that had something to do with it. Or the fact I stayed up last night really late watching football. Oh well hit what I wanted to, so i am happy!

Friday deadlift moderate day.
Since I don't really have a program for my deadlift, I am just doing heavyish, and volume one weeks, and moderate weights for lower sets. I may switch this up, as like I said I don't really know what to do with it. The Benedikt Maggnusson template looks ridiculous and might give it a try, but might also just stick to this, or something. Have to figure this all out this weekend so I know what I am doing from now on.

Deadlift
70kgx5,90x5,100x5,110x5,120x5x5x5x3
And that was it. Tried 5's and it felt good. Last set just did a triple with it. Definitely nice and easy and just giving the back a rest from last week.

deads 70kg 3x10

assisted pullups

rows
30x10, 40x10, 45x10 40kg for 3 sets.

hyper extensions
3x10

That was it for today not overly complicated or long, just in and out. Will figure out what to do with the deadlift this weekend.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week1 squat day

I always come back here to 5/3/1. But we are pretty much agreement it was the better program (me and my training partner) and 8 sets of 3 only does so much before you stall out. Gonna stick to this one and watch the progress. I also re read (and paid attention) to both the 2nd edition and the one for powerlifting. We are going to do the powerlifting version for the heavy single option.

I am using a 140kg 1 rep max for the squat. This is triples week, and I opted to go balls to the wall as opposed to taking a single.

warm ups 40kgx? 70kgx5, 90x3.

70%,80%,90% 100kgx3, 110x3, 125x3x6

125x6x.0333=24.975+125=149.975. Which I round up to 150kg. I will also try to beat this number the whole cycle.Even if just by 1kg. Progress is progress.I have to accept it, and just move forward.

Now I am trying something with my assistance. I am starting low, I mean low low. But each set increasing the weight by 2.5kg. Gonna see how this experiment goes. Pretty sure it won't be the biggest problem in the world.

BBB assistance
squats
70kgx10, 72.5x10,75x10,77.5x10,80x10.

The experiment is this. Next week I will start at 72.5 and end up at 82.5kg, and so on and so forth.So nothing too crazy, and nothing new, just fooling around with the numbers with these.

leg ext. supersetted with leg curls
17.5kgx10x10, 20kgx10x10, 22.5kgx10x10, 25x10x10 27.5x10x10

after rewatching the ed coan series I decided to go light, slow and controlled. this worked out nice.

calf raises 40x10, 60x10,62.5x10,65x10 80x10

I didn't notice Wade didn't take off the weights on his set, and did it with 80kg.. May start at 65kg next week. Again everything slow and controlled.

ab wheel 5x10

assisted pull ups x10 x10 x10 x10

non assisted x3 full extension. Slowly making some progress with these. But have to do them more often.

Also pretty much at 90kg now. Although its not the leanest 90kg. But definitely not too fat either. Thinking I might clean p the diet some more, and try to knock a bit more of the fat off. But honestly at this point it is not a great big deal. But I also don't want it to get worse. So we will see in the coming weeks and months what happens.

Guess I might have to wait til next monday to start. The Chinese Spring Festival is coming up really soon. So the students are on break. But because I work at a training school, I have extra classes during the week. Which is good money wise, and I normally would have time to go to the gym. But I have to go and do some classes for students and parents to come and watch a class for free and try to get them to sign up. And also will have to go and pass out adverts. Given my gyms kind of crappy hours (in this situation) It makes it pretty much impossible to go.

So it is looking like it is going to have to wait for next week, which sucks. I like the extra money, and the possibilities of getting new students, but I hate when things run into my gym time. IF I don't have to do either tomorrow (if no one shows up, I do not have to do the example classes) I can hit the commercial gym I was going to for a while. But I have no clue if it will happen or not, usually these example classes are pretty big, and I have to bring my A game. So we will see.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week1 day 1 (reset, due to a busy work week)

Monday squat day 3's 70%, 80%, 90%
warm up 70kgx?
worksets 100kgx4, 110kgx3, 125kgx9 (Pretty sure this is a BIG PR)

125x9x.0333=37.4625+125=162.4625 Whooped last weeks all out set.
The squats felt so awesome today. Felt good under the bar. Only one warm up set probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. But it was alright. 125kg felt pretty light on my back.

assistance squats
72.5kgx10, 75kgx10, 77.5kgx10, 80kgx10, 82.5kgx10

leg extensions supersetted with leg curls
22.5kgx10, 25kgx10, 27.5xkgx10, 30kgx10, 32.5kgx10

calf raises
62.5kgx10, 65kgx10, 67.5kgx10, 70kgx10, 72.5kgx10

pull ups x3 unassisted. x10x10x10x10 assisted

ab wheel rollouts 5x? (hard to keep track of these, but sure they were all up and around 20 reps)

Got to say the last week was busy, but I definitely felt so refreshed today going back today. 9 reps at 125kg was not too difficult, just tiring, by 7 I had to stop and catch my breath. Was so happy to smash last weeks rep max. And looking forward to re smashing it next week.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week1 day2
Bench day triples 70%, 80%, 90%g
warmups barx?, 40kgx?
Really focused on keeping nice and tight, and benching with my lats. Really seemed to help not only with the shoulder fatigue but just the power off of my chest.

worksets 70% 80% 90%
55kgx3, 65kgx3, 70kgx10

70kg for 10 is a huge PR for me. Shit not even a year ago I had trouble doing reps with that weight. And I just smashed that one big time. Felt great.

assistance
paused bench press 40kgx10, 42.5x10, 45kgx10, 47.5x10, 50kgx10

close grip 40kgx10 42.5x10, 45x10, 47.5x10, 50x10

db rows 15kg or such. 3x10

curlz supersetted with tricep pushdowns 5x10

sit ups 5x ?.

I didn't even keep count of these, just focused on keeping tight. Something I am not so good at.

Good workout, felt good. and pushed the weight I needed to without much trouble. Was a bit rushed I had to work tonight. In fact by the time I got home I had to jump right in and then right out of the shower and go. Lucky me though it was a test. Should even have the time to do a four day training week.. So I will be doing some presses this week. Thing that sucks is I have to clean the weight up, no rack at this gym. Well not yet at least.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week 1 day 3
deadlifts triples 70%, 80%, 90%

warm ups
40kgx? 70kgx?
worksets 110kgx3, 125kgx3, 140kgx10
140x10x.0333=46.60+140= 186.60
Deadlifts felt good. the last two reps with 140kg were grinders. But still left one or two in the tank. Everything felt fast as well

assistance deadlifts 70kgx10, 72.5kgx10, 75kgx10, 77.5kgx10, 80kgx10
Nce and fast with these.

t bar rows 40kgx10, 42.5kgx10, 45kgx10,47.5x10x10
I am going down a bit in weight with these. I want my assistance this cycle to be light enough to go slow, and controlled. These were just a bit heavier than I want right now. so I will back down a few kgs and go at it again. The plan is to start low enough to continue progressing by 2.5kg a week for as long as possible.

lat pulldowns, ss with lat pushdowns.
5x10

hanging leg raise 5x10

All in all a good workout. Had to re chalk once after 6 or 7 reps at 140kg. And it only made the fatigue worse. Wasn't feeling like it was going to be a good day at the gym, but it turned out to be better than I expected.

5/3/1 cycle 1 week 1 day 4
overhead press 50kg training max. 55kg 1 rep max (strict press)
triples week. 70%, 80%, 90%

warm ups barx?, 30kgx5 or 6.
worksets 35kgx3, 40kgx3, 45kgx3, 50kgx3, 55kgx3 60kgx3** 62.5kgx1

Since I haven't pressed in forever, and since have made nice progress on my bench, I decided to do some more triples to see how high I could triple. 55kg was so easy I went to 60kg, and slammed it up. And then got excited, threw on the 1.25kgs and tried to do again. I got one rep and also a second, but there was some leg drive in it so I didn't count it for my strict press. I am also having to clean the weight up to press it. This gym doesn't have an adjustable rack, but I also am thinking it probably doesn''t hurt to have to clean the weights I am pressing either. So I am actually enjoying it.

I have also decided to just leave my training max where it is right now. Yes my max has gone up a bit, but not so much that I feel I need to make the adjustment. I think it will be better this way. And will hopefully keep me progressing for longer. I am have to stick to this, and take my training more seriously. And just progress slowly like suggested because I'll be doing it for a while. And I have to say it felt good to press again.

assistance ohp (strict, paused for three sets)
30kgx10, 32.5x10, 35x10, 37.5kgx10, 40kgx10

I may go up every other week on these, I will try to start 2.5kg higher than the last set, and end up 2.5kg higher every week but I think the progression on these maybe a bit slower. But I'll figure that out when I get to that point. All of that said 40kg was not that hard.

delt raises front/side/back 5x10...I have to go back and figure out the weights of those dumbells I used for these. I am going to guess 8kg on the front and the side. And 10kg on the back. But I could be wrong.

These really upset my left shoulder for a little bit, but for some reason I went and put my elbows up on the dip station and kind of stood there with my shoulders elevated for a few minutes, and the pain went away and didn't come back the rest of the workout. I will be doing that for now on.

upright rows. 20kgx10, 22.5kgx10, 25kgx10, 27.5kgx10, 30kgx10
I had the intention of starting at 40kg, but it was impossible to do it for ten without leg drive.. And I want to start all of the assistance low enough so it can also progress. So I lowered it to twenty and just used all upper to pull it up, nice and controlled. Before I am sure I looked like an idiot having a seizure doing them before.

Just felt good to press again. 60kgx3 was nice, and wasn't so bad. But going right after 62.5 with no real rest stopped me. Got ahead of myself and just figured I would move on. And just leave it I will have next week, and then t is the new year. And my gym closes for about 5 or 6 days. Which is ok because i will be at my grandmother in laws house. I have like 3 months of comics to catch up on and some cartoons to watch. It'll be a good time.

Back