A Modest Proposal

jefferson said:
Why don't they make a rule that the only people that can START a thread is someone who has done one of these things:
1) been here for more than three months
2) achieved an orange belt
3) been approved/sponsered by a mod.(to be approved you would have to not troll, cuss say "ttt" or "agreed" or "rickson by armbar" or fighter bash)
this wouldn't stop the newbies from posting dumb stuff within a thread,(which is of course their right) it would just de-populate the front page of flat -out trolling, stupid, offensive threads.
also....video threads belong in the media section....that's why there is a media section.
and make an updated FAQ required reading ( I say updated because nobody has used "romo" in more than a year) if they have to read the FAQ they have no excuse for asking questions that have been answered a thousand times.
whitebelts, we are not against you, we are against the retards who wish to shit on what can be a cool place to post.

kinda weird that a whitebelt started this thread...weird- but in a way encouraging...

I agree.

I'm a "whitebelt" but I have been following MMA since the first UFC. But there are those that dont know squat about the sport who post nothing but garbage.

If being a "whitebelt" prevented me from starting a thread, I'd be fine with that. As long as it keeps the real noobs from wasting everbodys time.

"The only thing a belt is good for is keeping your pants up."

you're goddamn right his thread wouldn't have been started...i created this character yesterday...i should have NO right to begin this thread...of course this is a chicken/ egg thing, no? if we HAD these rules i would never have had to begin this thread.....oh! you see what i did there?!!
i'm going to quote you....
"I've actually noticed that a lot of the best posts I have seen come from white belts, and I am assuming that this is because they only post when they have something worthwhile to offer."
ok you're either being "funny " or you are really stupid or just sadly mistaken....

Jersey said:
#2 should be wiped off because some people have achieved that in less than a week...
Also there are plenty of guys that read a lot and never post... I post mainly Brazilian interviews that I translated and occasionaly get into discussions...
It took me two years to get a pissed belt...

Doherty45 said:
In my opinion, belt rank should be based on a valadation system. For example, on other boards people have the opportunity to give you a positive valadation for your post or a negative valadation, and this is a much more accurate way of assessing someone's status on a board than simply how many times they have posted.

that should have been number 4 on my list good call...rep points...
(sorry i was making dinner for my kid...this thread came between starting the sauce and boiling the pasta)

teamvovchanchyn said:
I agree with this one #2 may also promote postwhoring.
believe me i would do away with belts...but we can't ask them to completely scrap the system...
don't discount the post count...just enforce postwhoring.

jefferson said:
"I've actually noticed that a lot of the best posts I have seen come from white belts, and I am assuming that this is because they only post when they have something worthwhile to offer."
ok you're either being "funny " or you are really stupid or just sadly mistaken....

It's called reading comprehension. If you go and reread what I posted, you will see that I did not say "all of the best posts", or "most of the best posts", I said "a lot of the best posts". Actually, I would have thrown your post, the thread starter in with "one of the best posts", because it is an intelligent premise. And by my pointing out that you are not an orange belt I was illustrating my own point, because in your first post you were able to start an intelligent thread without having to post 300 or whatever times before doing so.

You also did not respond to the points that I made about how many people go about earning their various belts in the ways that I mentioned in the earlier part of the post you quoted.

dude you have 47 posts in one day.......only about 20 are quality posts so you are not helping your cause

SuperSuperRambo said:
#3 would be extremely hard on the mods. Sherdog has a LOT of members. I won't argue with the other ones.
Yeah, I agree with this post. If a whitebelt has a terrific thread idea then just pm some senior member and they'll be glad to post it for you, giving you credit for it in the post. The pros far outweigh the cons imo.

- Less shit threads: About a third to a half of all wasteland threads are started by whitebelts. This happens because they're not accustomed to alot of the mannerisms of the board, whether they are quality posters or not.
- Less work for mods: Mostly a result of less monitoring requirements due to the point above.
- Less discrimination/animosity against whitebelts: May sound contradictory but this is the long term result of the first point. Whitebelt bashing is at such a high because 1. whitebelts are a bit more likely to make shit threads than older members and 2. there are tons of whitebelts. As a result the older members tend to shit on whitebelts in general although there are some quality whitebelt posters out there.
- Less fake accounts/spamming: You wouldn't get posters like arfis or whomever spamming the board with stupid shit to get banned, then register under a new username and just repeat the same thing.
- Higher quality of overall posters in the long run: A culmination of all the points above. The forum basically won't be overrun by casual fans whenever some major mma event happens (ie wwe/tuf/leehotti cross overs or whatever) and those who stay and contribute threads will more or less likely be people dedicated to mma.

rjhabeeb said:
dude you have 47 posts in one day.......only about 20 are quality posts so you are not helping your cause
look at my sig, copy, paste , read, come back here, apologize.
oh and the fact that ypu say i have a 50 percent ratio of quality posts puts me in pride while most whitebelts would be lucky to fight kimbo
(it's called an analogy..look it up ...and then come back and apologize again)

Just because somebody's a whitebelt, it doesn't mean they don't know anything about MMA and also doens't mean they're an idiot.

It just means they rarely post, or just joined. Many people who have tons of posts make stupid comments and start stupid threads too.

Tensei said:
Yeah, I agree with this post. If a whitebelt has a terrific thread idea then just pm some senior member and they'll be glad to post it for you, giving you credit for it in the post. The pros far outweigh the cons imo.

- Less shit threads: About a third to a half of all wasteland threads are started by whitebelts. This happens because they're not accustomed to alot of the mannerisms of the board, whether they are quality posters or not.
- Less work for mods: Mostly a result of less monitoring requirements due to the point above.
- Less discrimination/animosity against whitebelts: May sound contradictory but this is the long term result of the first point. Whitebelt bashing is at such a high because 1. whitebelts are a bit more likely to make shit threads than older members and 2. there are tons of whitebelts. As a result the older members tend to shit on whitebelts in general although there are some quality whitebelt posters out there.
- Less fake accounts/spamming: You wouldn't get posters like arfis or whomever spamming the board with stupid shit to get banned, then register under a new username and just repeat the same thing.
- Higher quality of overall posters in the long run: A culmination of all the points above. The forum basically won't be overrun by casual fans whenever some major mma event happens (ie wwe/tuf/leehotti cross overs or whatever) and those who stay and contribute threads will more or less likely be people dedicated to mma.

thank you.

KrazyKanadian said:
Just because somebody's a whitebelt, it doesn't mean they don't know anything about MMA and also doens't mean they're an idiot.

It just means they rarely post, or just joined. Many people who have tons of posts make stupid comments and start stupid threads too.

no,SOME people who who have tons of posts make stupid comments, start stupid threads.
HOWEVER....... MANY whitebelts lately have started the most assinine, fucking retarded threads i have seen in 4 years...

jefferson said:
look at my sig, copy, paste , read, come back here, apologize.
oh and the fact that ypu say i have a 50 percent ratio of quality posts puts me in pride while most whitebelts would be lucky to fight kimbo
(it's called an analogy..look it up ...and then come back and apologize again)

Just because you say that you have been here for 3 years does not make it so. Ex: my name is Chuck Liddell.

Second of all, if you really did create this account for the purpose that you claim (BTW, why couldn't you have just done the same thing from your other account?), you still shouldn't make every other post you make lack quality, as you yourself acknowledged.

Third of all, before you ask anyone to apologize, you should respond to the legitimate issues that people of various belt rankings have brought up with your system.

jefferson said:
no,SOME people who who have tons of posts make stupid comments, start stupid threads.
HOWEVER....... MANY whitebelts lately have started the most assinine, fucking retarded threads i have seen in 4 years...

EDit

Back