A lunchtime talk with a "casual" fan....well not even "casual" IMO

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
We were playing some game and before beating the other team, he said "go for the KO and Rousey him". So we got chatting. He is super intrigued and basically says that he or anyone else who doesn't really follow the UFC only knows Ronda. He asked if I thought she would ever fight a man and how'd she do. I said no AC would allow it but it's possible they could try some "grappling only for charity" or something. He said it must be crazy that there is no woman in the world who apparently can even come close to beating her.

I asked if he knew any other fighters. He said not really. He's heard of Chuck LIddell. He knew the names GSP and Anderson. And now he really only knows Ronda and he has heard or Conor but didn't know much about him as far as weight class or anything. Oh and he heard of Jon Jones (kind of through the NFL connection and b/c of his arrest)

So it was interesting to get an outside view of the UFC and see that sure enough Ronda is bringing in the casual viewer. And Conor is becoming a more known name. He had no idea who Werdum or Weidman or Robbie were. I didn't even ask about Johnson, Dillashaw, Aldo, or Dos Anjos.

My friend only knows Conor McGregor and Ken Shamrock. He still believes Ken is still the world's most dangerous man

I know a lot of people that only know Kimbo Slice

Dang...I forgot to ask about Ken or Royce or Kimbo.

Its like being in the heavies when a great fight or fighter outside of The Ufc happens.

At the gym I go to the most I have ever seen people stop working out and watch the TV was when Ronda was being interviewed for her Bethe fight.

I'm the same way but the opposite. People mention a football or basketball player and I'm like who? But I know like LeBron and Peyton Manning.

I'm the same way but the opposite. People mention a football or basketball player and I'm like who? But I know like LeBron and Peyton Manning.

So you don't know Brian Scalabrine? He's like the GOAT of basketball

My friend only knows Jon Jones, but he's a dealer so...

I don't know if you're being serious, but no.

I do know a lot of the Cowboys' players, because it's inescapable around here unless you have zero social interactions.

tumblr_mzigp8kHrc1rs5ngxo1_500.jpg

I remember chatting to a girl I'm friends with about what BJJ is.. explained a bit about MMA etc.. as soon as I said UFC, her reply was "Oh i like Ronda Rousey because of feminism".

Lets establish the average casual fan, and the Sherdog "casual" are not the same thing.

Most of what you see here does not reflect the real life viewpoints of non-internet-centric fans.

Casual fans who think chuck is still champ are my fav people in the world.

Back