A Look Back at 2012 - The Definitive Fighter of the Year Thread (Long Read)

Its pretty obvious the only logical answer is Chael.

I chose Rousey due to her actually convincing the UFC to have female fighters.

My second choice has to be Benderson.

The tale of bendo/Edgar is really fascinating to me. The first fight was much more definative for one side, but it actually get more back and forth, and controversy than the second.

The big problem is that the two front runners, bendo and mm, have some big controversies in their records on the year. I think bendo kinda edges it out.
Cain is certainly also acceptable.

Getting the belt back from the guy who KO'd you the previous year, and is a talented specimen like Junior Dos Santos is no easy task... Cain was more focused and motivated than anyone in the UFC... He made a statement with the Big-Foot Blood-Bath and topped the year off with a 5-round destruction of the Champion Junior Dos Santos.

Fighter of the Year is Cain Velasquez.

Frank Mir is the fighter of the year with his voodoo shizzle. He changed the outcome of the most anticipated fight of the year.

Tell you the truth I wonder why demetrious Johnson isn't getting more love. He did beaT both the number 1 flyweight and a top 3 bantamweight in one year, plus grabbed a belt. I think this has less to do with his first mccall fight and more with either his fight style or his size.

I voted Johnny Hendricks. Was never a fan, thought he was overated. Wasn't sold after the Mike Pierce or Fitch fights, however in the Kos fight he was dominant despite the decision. Still didn't think he was number one contender tho. The Kampmann fight sold me.

Now, I know that the people who are champs, Bendo, Cain, GSP and MM all deserve it, but I thought I'd vote for a fighter who impressed me (if you count the Dec 30th Fitch fight as well) quite a bit over a year period.

If you could vote for a 2nd/3rd place fighter I'd have put Big Rig there.

Of the Champs, I think Bendo beating the unbeatable Edgar twice and dismantling Diaz was pretty impressive. But what Cain, GSP and MM did was also pretty amazing too. Been a good year for fighting all round. Even JBJ was impressive

Benson is unacceptable to me because he should be at the very least 2-1 this year, he lost the second fight to Frankie, and I thought he lost the first as well.
Jones and Anderson weren't active enough against contenders to warrant it. Anderson starched Bonnar, but he's a mid-tier LHW, and Silva's win over Sonnen was marred with a bit of controversy. Jones had a dominant, but lukewarm win over Rashad and then almost got submitted by Vitor Belfort, a mid-tier (imo) MW.
Rousey's competition is not good enough to be considered for this, same goes for Cung Le.
Weidman is without a doubt, the breakout fighter of the year, but not the overall fighter of the year. This year he shed his prospect label, and got two dominant wins over top 10 opponents, one of whom is now top 10 in another division.
Hendricks has had a great run this year, but his win over Koscheck was questionable in a lot of people's eyes, so I don't think it warrants Fighter of the Year.
Cain is a definite candidate, with two dominant wins, including avenging his title loss and getting his belt back.

So in my opinion, it's between Cain and Mighty Mouse, and I give it to Mighty Mouse. He goes from being a top 10 BW last year, to beating the former number 1 Flyweight TWICE (yes, twice, he won the first match IMO), and then beat uncrowned king of the Flyweight division, Joseph Benavidez, from pillar to post to take the belt and win the UFC's first tournament in years.

Good breakdown and argument for your fighter. I personally thought McCall won the first fight, but even so, MM had a great year. Beating McCall and Joseph B is no joke.

I was going to go with Benson but his rematch with Edgar wasn't convincing enough. I voted for Matt Brown because this is the most consistent and impressive that he has looked.

Matt Brown for me. What a comeback year for him and 4 good wins

Just to let you guys know, there is a category for "comeback fighter of the year." :cool:

Had to say Bendeaux. Getting the nod twice against Edgar, and just outclassing Nate Diaz.

I drifted towards Cung Le for a second lol

But JOHNY! Johny Hendricks!! BIG.RIG!!!

He looked real good this year, was very impressed. Koscheck is always a tough test for WW's and, he passes! Johny won, knocks out ANOTHER top contender in Kampmann. Seems to KO/TKO guys every other fight...

Before I go on I understand that Cain just left a big exclamation point on 2012, bendo looking great, Jones and Anderson doing their thang, but Johny is the one I am really going to follow going into 2013.

Cool beard, sweet nickname. I'm voting for Hendricks.

Voted Benson but was torn with Cain.

lol'd at the pic in the op for Cruz. Looks so sad.

I voted Cain because I don't like Bendo. But it should probably be Bendo...

I like both Cain and Bendo, but I thought Bendo beat Frankie twice and decimated Diaz.

So, give it to Bendo.

i feel that bendo lost the second edgar fight clearly, so i went with velasquez - if bendo clearly won the second fight, id have voted for him

My top 3:

1)Cain Velasquez......beat a top 10 fighter and the champ decisively in the HW division. It was brutal.
2) Ben Henderson........3-0 in the most competitive division. Could be #1.
3) Anderson Silva..........Solidified himself as the G.O.A.T. beat down his only real challenger and .....well..... Bonner.

pretty much, my friend - looks like its clearly between bendo and velasquez, with bendo in the lead

It's not really true though. Plenty of guys win fights or go on win streaks and nobody thinks they are invincible. There are very few guys who anyone makes that claim about. One of them was recently exposed.

Cain came back in 2012 with a huge statement. I think he derserves the title.

Back