A Look Back at 2012 - The Definitive Fighter of the Year Thread (Long Read)

Tough call between Rousey and Jones, but in the end, I decided to go with Rousey. I don't think any fighter really revolutionized WMMA and brought it to light like she did, possibly save for Gina. But its the way that Ronda won that really stood out: all finishes by armbar, all in the first.

I didn't want to pick Benson because of the fact that many (including I) thought he lost one or both of the Frankie fights.

Matt Brown for me. What a comeback year for him and 4 good wins

Surprised Bendo is winning. He lost to Edgar then beat Diaz.

He did get the nod but either way it was hardly fighter of the year worthy IMO.

Ronda did the most significant thing of all by getting the UFC to create a women's division. Sure it was already part of SF, but White didn't have to bring it over to the UFC and probably wouldn't have dones so without the excitement and interest that she is generating.

I think if you only fought once you are eliminated from the convo (GSP)
had a draw (Johnson) a split dec (Benson, Hendricks) also should not win, plus womens MMA is garbage no depth, basically like #1 man fighting a non 200 ranked fighter. Why is everyone voting for Benson who had 3 decisions???

I would go Jones, Cain, Anderson

Benson. Three title fights in a year, two he definitively won. He left no doubt in our heads who sits atop the UFC's lightweight division after his defense against Diaz.

I think if you only fought once you are eliminated from the convo (GSP)
had a draw (Johnson) a split dec (Benson, Hendricks) also should not win, plus womens MMA is garbage no depth, basically like #1 man fighting a non 200 ranked fighter. Why is everyone voting for Benson who had 3 decisions???

I would go Jones, Cain, Anderson

Because Benson is the champ of the UFC's most competitive division.

I am voting for Demetrious Johnson to be Fighter of The Year. He started the year with a controversial draw( I thought he wont it 29-28 but many felt he lost.) then dominated McCall in the rematch. He showed how much heart he had against Joseph Benavidez when he got rocked and escaped the mounted choke then pulled ahead the rest of the fight.

This was a hard decision. It's between Bendo and CV. I voted for Cain b/c of how he got his belt back, and mostly b/c it happened recently. I didn't vote for Bendo, although I wouldn't be opposed to him getting it, b/c I thought he lost the 2nd Edgar fight.

Anderson jumping out of his weightclass pushing 40 and making it look easy. Makes my choice easy too

I voted for Bendo. 3 title fights in a year, very impressive. To win all of them is even more impressive. Only person that could have matched it is Jones.

Bendo for me.

Beats Edgar for the belt, defends it in a fight most people thought he lost but still did enough to convince the judges otherwise, which says alot within itself. The mauls Diaz for 5 round live on Fox, dominating him in every aspect of the game.

This exactly.

How can it not be Bendo?

Won the title & defended it twice this year

Because of horseshit like this:

why is benson winning fighter of the year when he lost to edgar?

He arguably went 1-1 with Edgar and arguably lost to him in a rematch that should never have happened. He's still 3-0 this year with two dominant victories.

Bendo 3-0 in title shots.

Ben Henderson is the clear victor of the award for me. Frank Edgar was clear #1 LW and I believe won their second fight on all but paper. A second fight that shouldn't have happened because the first fight was a clear victory for Ben in my opinion.

That controversy aside, he absolutely and fully embarrassed Diaz in that fight. A fight that he was always the favourite in and always had the skill set to win but because he was fighting a fighter with the surname Diaz, was actually the underdog for many. Insanity. A fighter with Diaz's skills but a different surname and brother would not have had an eighth of the hype going into that fight and the same is true for his brother going into the GSP fight.

If Kampmann had beaten Hendricks I would have gone with him.

Choosing between Cain, Bendo, and Rousey is tough, but I'm going with Ronda.

I voted Bendo but cases could be made for both Jones and Anderson of course.

Back