A Look Back at 2012 - The Definitive Fighter of the Year Thread (Long Read)

Anderson. The fashion in which he obliterated a man a weight class above him who was on steroids was incredible. That paired with finishing the only man to test him in the UFC puts him above Cain IMO. Cain was tied with Bendo for second. Anderson is always amazing but dont compare this year's Anderson to other year's he has had, compare to other fighters this year. He is #1

1. Ronda Rousey
The face of MMA this year as the sport's most talked about and promoted fighter. Defeated Miesha Tate in an amazing fight to win the women's bantamweight title and followed that up by making quick work of former champion Sarah Kaufman. With the demise of Strikeforce became the first female UFC champion and first to headline a PPV in 2013.

Ronda is making history with what she is accomplishing for WMMA and her 2012 and 2013 will be looked back upon as a significant period. Any woman who is or wants to be a fighter owes her a debt of gratitude because she has brought WMMA to the next level and that means bigger fights, more respect and more money for all. Like her or not, Ronda was everywhere as the year's most entertaining personality with the most historically significant campaign.

2. Cain Velasquez
Completely brutalized Antonio Silva in horror movie fashion and then gave Junior dos Santos one of the worst beatings a champion ever suffered in taking back the UFC heavyweight championship. The Cain of 2012 looked absolutely unstoppable, a true monster.

3. Benson Henderson
Won the UFC lightweight title in a match of the year candidate from Frankie Edgar, but he was lucky in getting the nod in the rematch since many thought he lost. Removed all doubt he was a worthy champion by dominating Nate Diaz on national television in a spectacular, star-making performance.

Last edited:
I have to give the nod to Bendo. It is hard to go against someone with two victories over a top 10 P4P fighter and a complete beatdown of a top 10 lightweight. Though I must say there is no clear-cut winner this year, as there was with Bones last year.

Not too surprised with the results so far, except for Anderson. I didn't expect him to get that many votes, but then again, he does have a pretty large fan base.

Bumping this for the late night/early morning crew.

Happy New Year's Eve to all.

Last edited:
I went for Bendo I'm not his biggest fan but he was been super sick this year and dominated everyone also been pretty active

I'd pick Bendo. Those two outings against Frankie were something else. It was the total dismantling of Nate Diaz though that nets Bendo the title of definitive fighter of the year. We've never EVER seen a Diaz brother get absolutely wrecked like that for 5 rounds.

Bendo got stuff done this year.

Happy for Cain though.

I'm not sure how it could be anybody but Cain Velasquez.

Coming back from losing for the first time in his career, knee surgery, and a long layoff. To completely annihilating Antonia Silva in the first round that earned him another title shot, in which many thought he wasn't even worthy of. Goes on to beat Junior Dos Santos, whom many believed was going to be undisputed champ for years to come. And the way he owned him for all five rounds to win the belt back. Talk about a successful year!

anderson and rousey, also awesome performance by cain against jds

Cain was the only guy who dominated his opponents through-and-through.

Bendo? Psh. Split decision / robbery gives you fighter of the year? cmonnnnnnn

I voted Cain. He made a huge comeback after his loss and reclaimed the title in brutal fashion. I really like JDS, but Cain is right behind him. Kind of like Machida and Shogun.

If the Fitch fight had been two days later I'd go with Hendricks. Anderson beat Chael and absolutely obliterated a roided up LHW. Gotta give it to him.

why is benson winning fighter of the year when he lost to edgar?

Because he fought with a toothpick in his mouth.

Most of the choices shouldn't even be in the conversation. Bendo? For 2 really controversial decisions? Nobody really had a barn burner year but I'll give it slightly to Cain over Jones. If Hendricks had beat Fitch this year I might have given it to him but he missed it by 2 days.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are looking at Benson cause he's the only one to win three title fights this year

but the problem is two were against the same guy, and even worse, were both very close decisions.

I agree, Cain is probably the right choice because not only did he destroy Bigfoot who was and still is a very good, top 10 fighter, but then he took his belt back from the only man to defeat him, Junior Dos Santos

However, I voted for Anderson Silva because to me Silva/Sonnen 2 was the biggest fight of the year, and Silva is the UFC GOAT, so watching him get what could easily be his best win (all factors considered) and then destroying a veteran LHW with ease.

Game on.

why is benson winning fighter of the year when he lost to edgar?

yeah i had bendo winning the 1st and edgar winning the rematch. if it was the other way around i could see bendo being in the mix but as is he shouldnt be considered

one thing is for sure, nobody came close to what jones did in 2011

It's hard to look past Bendo. He is the man.

Benson is unacceptable to me because he should be at the very least 2-1 this year, he lost the second fight to Frankie, and I thought he lost the first as well.
Jones and Anderson weren't active enough against contenders to warrant it. Anderson starched Bonnar, but he's a mid-tier LHW, and Silva's win over Sonnen was marred with a bit of controversy. Jones had a dominant, but lukewarm win over Rashad and then almost got submitted by Vitor Belfort, a mid-tier (imo) MW.
Rousey's competition is not good enough to be considered for this, same goes for Cung Le.
Weidman is without a doubt, the breakout fighter of the year, but not the overall fighter of the year. This year he shed his prospect label, and got two dominant wins over top 10 opponents, one of whom is now top 10 in another division.
Hendricks has had a great run this year, but his win over Koscheck was questionable in a lot of people's eyes, so I don't think it warrants Fighter of the Year.
Cain is a definite candidate, with two dominant wins, including avenging his title loss and getting his belt back.

So in my opinion, it's between Cain and Mighty Mouse, and I give it to Mighty Mouse. He goes from being a top 10 BW last year, to beating the former number 1 Flyweight TWICE (yes, twice, he won the first match IMO), and then beat uncrowned king of the Flyweight division, Joseph Benavidez, from pillar to post to take the belt and win the UFC's first tournament in years.

I was going to go with Benson but his rematch with Edgar wasn't convincing enough. I voted for Matt Brown because this is the most consistent and impressive that he has looked.

Back