A look at UFC Contracts & PPV Buys - Woodley's Money Fights

cmw43

Bad Boys Club
@Gold
Reaction score
I see a lot of people saying Woodleys scared and ducking the true contenders.

Woodleys 34 years old and has a very limited window to make some decent bank, as Champion his earning potential skyrockets assuming as Champion he gets a taste of the PPV share which I have a strong feeling he would given how long he sat on the sidelines for this title shot.

"It’s an eight-fight deal," Woodley told MMA Fighting on Tuesday. "I had a four-fight deal, but I thought they had to make it worth my while. I’m taking the risk here."

Previously two UFC PPV contracts have been publically released from court documents.

Randy Couture in 2006 fought Tim Sylvia for the HW title making 250k in base pay and a further 936k in PPV revenue for a total of more than $1million on a 500k selling PPV card 10 years ago.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/31/sports/sp-ufc31

Rampage Jackson made $15million in five years 1.4million per fight.

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/dana-white-15/

• Woodley in his last fight before Robbie made 74k base with 65k win bonus for 139k total.
  • In his title shot he made 270k base + 70k win bonus for 240k
  • If he fights Diaz or GSP and gets a slice of PPV he could be looking at north of $1million
  • If he fights Wonderboy he's gonna sell a heck of a lot less PPV's and probably get KO'd and take a paycut
http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/tyron-woodley-t-wood

• As a comparison Hendricks made 150k base in his title defence but now he's lost the belt and getting beat up by Gastelum no one cares about him and he's taken a paycut to 80k base.
http://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/johny-hendricks

My point is this is Woodleys only chance to be fighting for million dollar+ purses so he should make the most of it while he can because if he loses to Wonderboy everyone's gonna write him off as never being any good and he'll be fighting for 100k again.

"At the end of the day, I'm the one who's in control of my bank account," Woodley said. "I'm the one who's in control of my four kids, my wife, the house that I want to pay off this year. These things are realistic goals that are within reach with the right fight. So, I don't have to explain to them. I don't go to their house and say hey, I don't think you should get this promotion because Johnny, your coworker, deserves it more than you. I'm going to go tell your boss that I'm going to get this other guy the promotion. I don't do that."

126_Robbie_Lawler_vs_Tyron_Woodley.0.0.jpg

I can understand Woodley's reasoning
but still would like to see him fight Wonderboy
or GSP

Good thing he sat out for a year and a half and all the casual fans forgot who he is.

A+ level thread.

Sorry I can't really contribute to this already phenomenal thread. I guess I'm speechless - you don't see this shit every day.

Amazing.

People claim Conor earned like $12 million for the Aldo and Diaz fights, the PPV model must have changed drastically if that was true.

People claim Conor earned like $12 million for the Aldo and Diaz fights, the PPV model must have changed drastically if that was true.

Conor can sell fights with his mouth and skill set. He earned every cent of it.

Contracts are better then it was in Randy's and Page's hey days.

The buys are more (at least the potential for more is there) and smarter managers / contracts.

Expect a lot more then "1 mill PPV" nope even a default PPV share contract like the champs get like Tate or Nunes or etc any default champ has it can still have 3-4 or more mill from PPV share if the card does big buys.

Same for DC and the other guys holding belts.. they operate with this 500k purse + 3-5 mill or more depending on the buys of course.

And even if they don't give you a PPV share as a contender if the fight is a big card you can expect 1 mill back room bonus (Carwin got it when he didn't had no PPV shares and was on a monster card).

Great thread, brah. I've really nothing much to add but to agree 100%.
Your purse changes drastically if you don't have the belt. Calling Woodley a coward or a disgrace for taking care of his is the only pathetic thing I've seen about this situation.
Fighting is a young man's sport. Make your money and get out with your brains intact. Why the fuck would I take 80K for a fight, when I can make a $1,000,000?

Woodley was smart to wait for Robbie LOLer. But now if he fights either GSP, Diaz or Wonderboy he gets smashed.

Contracts are better then it was in Randy's and Page's hey days.

The buys are more (at least the potential for more is there) and smarter managers / contracts.

Expect a lot more then "1 mill PPV" nope even a default PPV share contract like the champs get like Tate or Nunes or etc any default champ has it can still have 3-4 or more mill from PPV share if the card does big buys.

Same for DC and the other guys holding belts.. they operate with this 500k purse + 3-5 mill or more depending on the buys of course.

And even if they don't give you a PPV share as a contender if the fight is a big card you can expect 1 mill back room bonus (Carwin got it when he didn't had no PPV shares and was on a monster card).

Yeah I imagine that's the case but I didn't want to use any figures I couldn't verify though.

The only other big one I remember being confirmed was Hughes getting a mill backstage after beating Royce and that was back in the day as well so I'm sure it is in the multi-millions for PPV drawing champs.

Back