A look at Ronda Rousey's superstar status

I don't think Ronda Rousey is as much of a "superstar" as she is being promoted as. First, I have never once seen a concrete number conclusively associated with her popularity. However, I do know that a common promotional tactic is to present the item as if it's already popular. Logically it wouldn't make sense that a relatively unknown competitor in an unpopular sport (WMMA) suddenly has numbers that rival Brock Lesnar's (a man who had worldwide exposure to a UFC target audience in WWE). I just don't believe these claims without some kind of proof, which has never been offered.

Second, she's not that good. She almost got neck cranked in her last fight. She always wins the same way, similar to Palhares. That's not a recipe for a long lasting champion. If anything, it's a symptom of a very shallow pool of competitors. Either way, she's no superstar.

I don't think Ronda Rousey is as much of a "superstar" as she is being promoted as. First, I have never once seen a concrete number conclusively associated with her popularity.

This, just after reading an article citing concrete numbers associated with her popularity. Ok - how's this for another concrete number - twitter followers. That's a measure of personal popularity right?

Cain Velasquez - UFC Heavyweight Champion, veteran of 12 UFC fights including numerous PPV headliners and nationally televised fights - 300,522 followers

Ronda Rousey - 1 UFC fight - 360,354 followers.

Second, she's not that good. She almost got neck cranked in her last fight. She always wins the same way, similar to Palhares. That's not a recipe for a long lasting champion. If anything, it's a symptom of a very shallow pool of competitors. Either way, she's no superstar.

Rousey is a great heel.

I don't know why anybody would be surprised about her rise in celebrity status. She was Stikeforce Champ, now she's UFC Champ. She's undefeated so far. She's marketable. She's been in ESPN The Magazine, Maxim, is in two commercials that I know of, has been on different television shows, is on TUF, and is featured or talked about often on other UFC programming. She is also set to be on the big screen in the Expendables 3 and Fast and Furious 7.

When you are in two movies, have commercials, and are on your way to being a millionaire by age 27, you have accomplished more than many reality TV celebrities. You are officially a celebrity.

I don't think Ronda Rousey is as much of a "superstar" as she is being promoted as. First, I have never once seen a concrete number conclusively associated with her popularity. However, I do know that a common promotional tactic is to present the item as if it's already popular. Logically it wouldn't make sense that a relatively unknown competitor in an unpopular sport (WMMA) suddenly has numbers that rival Brock Lesnar's (a man who had worldwide exposure to a UFC target audience in WWE). I just don't believe these claims without some kind of proof, which has never been offered.

Hey can you deny her popularity?

First people said the 472K viewers Rousey/Tate pulled was a fluke, then Rousey/Kaufman pulled 529k, peaking at 676 during their fight. The two Rousey fights that she headlined are in strikeforces top 7 highest rated events on showtime.

Then when the UFC decided the create a division based off her popularity people said she would fail on PPV, she pulled 450k PPV buys, only GSP/Diaz & Silva/Weidman have beaten that this year.

During the 157 (Rousey/Carmouche) weekend; mmajunkie done their record website traffic, yes, beating Sonnen/Silva 2.

I really could keep going.

Some people are clueless.

Back