A look at Ronda Rousey's superstar status

Judging by it's name, I'd imagine the "breakthrough" category is for new celebrities...... so has nothing to do with Serena Williams who broke through over a decade ago.

Serena Williams is far more popular then Rousey in the US and worldwide.

This guys article is a farce all around.

it is also one with a lack of grip on reality - unfortunate when one of the few positive articles on MMA is also quite delusional.

Read it you fool.

The "breakthrough" category, also its not some random guy making up numbers on Bloody Elbow. Its a sports marketing research firm who got the data and "this guy" just wrote about it.

most of the people here never get past the thread title let alone read the whole link before they mouth off.

You guys are too nice.

I'd just tell those retards to Read the fucking article before you continue embarrassing yourself!

Read it you fool.

The "breakthrough" category, also its not some random guy making up numbers on Bloody Elbow. Its a sports marketing research firm who got the data and "this guy" just wrote about it.

I'm saying it and it's 100% truth.

I did read the article, and the headline says superstar, which in itself is a farce. No one gives a shit about Rousey in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Judging by it's name, I'd imagine the "breakthrough" category is for new celebrities...... so has nothing to do with Serena Williams who broke through over a decade ago.

No, that's not what it is. The article tells you what it is. Basically it's how likely are you to be interested about something about that person.

So more people know Serena Williams, but overall people are more interested in news about Ronda.

Ufc will never become bigger than the nfl

The NFL is very weak worldwide while MMA is getting a growing interest. Even if the ground game can be boring for casuals, fighting still has that universal vibe. American Football is almost unbearable to watch if you aren't used to it and don't know the rules, it has been pushed into foreign markets for years with little success. I wouldn't be surprised if more people worldwide could name one MMA fighter than tell you who won the last Superbowl.

I did read the article, and the headline says superstar, which in itself is a farce. No one gives a shit about Rousey in the grand scheme of things.

Correction: you don't give a shit about her. She brought in many female fans.

The NFL is very weak worldwide while MMA is getting a growing interest. Even if the ground game can be boring for casuals, fighting still has that universal vibe. American Football is almost unbearable to watch if you aren't used to it and don't know the rules, it has been pushed into foreign markets for years with little success. I wouldn't be surprised if more people worldwide could name one MMA fighter than tell you who won the last Superbowl.

I couldnt even tell you 1 nfl team let alone who was in the superbowl outside america no1 cares for nfl,mlb,nba etc

The ufc can be bigger then them globally for sure but they will never compete with football globally

I couldnt even tell you 1 nfl team let alone who was in the superbowl outside america no1 cares for nfl,mlb,nba etc

The ufc can be bigger then them globally for sure but they will never compete with football globally

New England Patriots and Tom Brady ... that's all you need to know.

I agree with nfl and MLB not being big outside the states but the NBA has a huge following worldwide.

No one gives a shit about Peyton Manning "in the grand scheme of things". That doesn't mean he isn't a superstar in his sport. Ronda's in the top, say, 5 mma fighters in terms of notoriety, name recognition, and social media following. At least in the US.

No one except the people that bought the +400,000 PPVs in her UFC debut, the media that payed attention to her despite usually not covering MMA, the guys filming Expendables 3, etc

It's harder to make UFC bigger in the states than it is to make it bigger than "soccer" in the rest of the world.

Every event in every arena UFC attends is sold out everywhere they go. We always see packed houses.

It's hard to sway people in the States from topping their state team for another sport.

I personally think it can do both.

People are being forced to take notice.

So many people who never watch are watching event posters, seeing it on Fox Sports 1 now, and the coverage is just everywhere.

Their marketing is also getting better and smarter, i.e. can't have an event in Mexico yet? Smartest thing to get it legal over there is to have Mexican support by having Champion Cain Velasquez headline a Houston card.

The UFC isn't selling out every event. At least not in Canada anymore - and from what I've seen about the availability of tickets for MOST events (not counting fights like Silva-Weidman II for example) it is possible to get tickets without going through a scalper for most UFC events. And that doesn't include the thousands of tickets the UFC gives away...

(I'm not saying the UFC isn't healthy, their doing great business, but they aren't selling out every show - not even close - and I would estimate PPV buys are trending flat or down overall)

Damn I always thought he meant football stateside they will never be bigger then "soccer"globally,nfl etc yes is easily possible as no one outside of the states cares about it.

Surprised how big Anderson is in brazil though thought a few more football players would of been ahead of him

The NFL is the biggest sports league in the U.S, the UFC is not nearly as big as football to Americans. I have no links to post, but anyone who lives here knows football is the most popular sport around the country.

A combat sport will never be more popular than milder family friendly sports such as soccer
especially since sports like soccer have so many levels like school vs school, regional to internationals, professionals to backyard fooling around.

MMA still has quite a bit of growing space left, but will also always carry a certain stigma among quite a big demographic that consider the violence to be to much for a recreational sport.

just wait until the FIFA World Cup to see if MMA is neck to neck with football LOL

but i love Ronda

just wait until the FIFA World Cup to see if MMA is neck to neck with football LOL

Lost_in_Translation_poster.jpg

Back