A look at Ronda Rousey's superstar status

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by FanLogic, Oct 16, 2013.

1. FanLogic

FanLogic White Belt

The article also investigates DW's claim that the UFC is bigger than the NFL and on-par with soccer globally

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/15/4841272/ufc-mma-bigger-mlb-ronda-rousey-superstar-anderson-silva-georges-st-pierre-jon-jones

2. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

I am not familiar with that person.

3. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

Bigger than MLB. Not too shabby.

4. L0ki

L0ki Silver Belt

Not too surprising.

Probably better that Dana keep Cyborg away from her.

All UFC has to do is keep hitting new countries.

A very big watermark would be if it became bigger than the NFL in the states.

5. ZuffaExecutive

ZuffaExecutive Red Belt

Damn I always thought he meant football stateside they will never be bigger then "soccer"globally,nfl etc yes is easily possible as no one outside of the states cares about it.

Surprised how big Anderson is in brazil though thought a few more football players would of been ahead of him

6. L0ki

L0ki Silver Belt

It's harder to make UFC bigger in the states than it is to make it bigger than "soccer" in the rest of the world.

Every event in every arena UFC attends is sold out everywhere they go. We always see packed houses.

It's hard to sway people in the States from topping their state team for another sport.

I personally think it can do both.

People are being forced to take notice.

So many people who never watch are watching event posters, seeing it on Fox Sports 1 now, and the coverage is just everywhere.

Their marketing is also getting better and smarter, i.e. can't have an event in Mexico yet? Smartest thing to get it legal over there is to have Mexican support by having Champion Cain Velasquez headline a Houston card.

7. L0ki

L0ki Silver Belt

The only people that aren't turned to UFC consist primarily of anti-LNP'ers, which they think looks gay, and that it's way too violent.

This coverage will clear that up, seeing as UFC is cutting LNP'ers, and people will also see that in the UFC, fighter A doesn't stop until Fighter B's brains are coming out of their ear, just isn't true.

8. Striderxdj

Striderxdj Brown Belt

Ufc will never become bigger than the nfl, let alone bigger than soccer. Ive been watching since the first couple (convinced my aunt to order ufc 4 ppv when I was in 8th grade, i remember being pissed because the ppv ended before the fight), but it took another few years before I even heard someone else talking about mma. its definitely grown significantly, but other professional sports are titans by comparison.

You could go to any school and most kids could probably easily name some all time great nba/nfl/mlb players long since retired or dead, or their current favorites, but id bet very few would know who dan severn, sakuraba, the shamrocks, let alone any current fighters save for maybe a handful even were.

9. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

Serena Williams is far more popular then Rousey in the US and worldwide.

This guys article is a farce all around.

10. Lovci

Lovci Green Belt

False.

11. Italian Brock

Italian Brock Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Truth

12. PaulRFC53

PaulRFC53 Purple Belt

Oh shit, its a positive article about MMA! this will not go down well on here.

13. emax

emax Black Belt

I think in an average American high school you could take any random set of 10 kids and at most half would probably be able to name a single fighter from the UFC. Maybe 6 or 7 at most would be able to name a single MMA fighter at all and at most 7 out of 10 would have any idea whatsoever what MMA is. Maybe I have underestimated its popularity increase, but who knows. I know that when I was in college from 2004 to 2008 it was maybe 5 out of 10 at most who would be able to tell you what MMA is at all. And maybe 3-4 out of 10 who could name any MMA fighter past or present, at most.

14. emax

emax Black Belt

it is also one with a lack of grip on reality - unfortunate when one of the few positive articles on MMA is also quite delusional.

15. PaulRFC53

PaulRFC53 Purple Belt

Read it you fool.

The "breakthrough" category, also its not some random guy making up numbers on Bloody Elbow. Its a sports marketing research firm who got the data and "this guy" just wrote about it.

16. Joe

Joe :l

most of the people here never get past the thread title let alone read the whole link before they mouth off.

17. PaulRFC53

PaulRFC53 Purple Belt

Its an article about the UFC as a whole and numerous athletes and TS decided to name the thread about Rousey....its going to receive a lot of hate.

18. UJustGotChaeld

UJustGotChaeld Steel Belt

Improve your reading comprehension. Read article again. Repeat until you draw a different conclusion.

Hint: The article doesnt say that, at all.

19. PaulRFC53

PaulRFC53 Purple Belt

In what way is it delusional?

Its just some sports marketing firm has gotten data about the MMA fanbase and some of the athletes and this guy has wrote about it.

20. Cooliox

Cooliox Gold Belt Platinum Member

It is in America's nature to seek new flavors. People love seeing something new.

Breaking through isn't as hard as it seems. It's sustaining that spot that's notoriously hard.

There have been more 1-hit wonders than people could ever count in their lifetime if they started today.

This applies to sports even more. A lot of guys make that All-Star team and game that 1 year of great performance, before drowning out to a forgotten status.

Ronda's FU in the face attitude gives her a big interest to the fans. You know what they say, any publicity is good publicity. Love her or hate her, you're talking about her.

I agree. Ronda's talked about a lot everywhere. But not in good light though. It's a very risky strategy. She's got people watching her, waiting for her to fail. We're going to tune in to most of Ronda's fights waiting for her to fail.

this is the same thing that Floyd Mayweather has done for YEARS. The thing is, he never lost. The media, HBO, Old guy who threatened to kick Mayweather's ass... these guys have been counting the days to throw Mayweather to the wolves because he talked shit to promote himself. He throws verbal middle-fingers at people left and right. And he's not a tv darling.

Ronda's not far from that. She' getting people to watch her and talk about her. But if she loses, there's an army of haters waiting to make sure that when her ship goes down, it stays down.

I mean if we MMA fans did it to Rampage- once the most loved guy in MMA, Ronda's going to get it hard.

We've disowned Ken Shamrock, Fedor, Big Nog, Crocop, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Rampage, GSP, even Anderson Silva.. And these guys were at one point the most loved guys in all of MMA.

We even disowned Jon Jones recently, and he was one of those up'n'comers that everyone adored.

Check the Wanderlei threads. Most of the people are like "Oh Wand is pathetic", "wwe shit". Wanderlei fucking Silva. He was a god not too long ago.

MMA fans have no sympathy for any fighter.

Ronda Rousey stands no chance.