A little encouragement from a complete noob

By the time you're better prepared...you'll get promoted, and be even less prepared. "Flow with the go my friend. Be the hammer and let your competitors be your nails." If that's not motivational enough for you... "Don't be scared, homie!" Good luck next month.

But TS, good first post.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Your good in my book.

Thanks for the advice man, I feel the same way. I never competed in a tournament before or played any organized sports growing up in school, so doing a grappling tournament is really getting out of my 'comfort' zone. I plan on competing at NAGA late January. I definitely want to compete in at least one grappling tournament just for the experience and not having regrets(due to fear) or keep waiting until I'm 'better' prepared.

The only way to overcome it is to compete. You sound like you struggle out of your comfort zone, but going out of that zone every once in a while is good and you benefit from it greatly.

I would compete asap, I've talked to a few people in my gym saying they wish they competed when they were a white belt, but now won't because they feel like they are at the bottom of a food chain after being promoted. And the cycle repeats through each belt. Get it done man, kill those nerves and you will eventually make competing apart of your comfort zone.

Back