A little encouragement from a complete noob

Alohacana

White Belt
Reaction score
So I have been training for about a month and I am completely addicted. Surfing was the only thing that has affected my life like this lol.
About 2-3 weeks into going to class 3-4 times a week we had a tournament between our three schools. Chief invited me so of course I showed up.
It was a round robin and I actually got bumped up a weight class since there wherent enough guys. I went in with no ego and just wanting to learn and I came out with a very positive experience and learned some things that may seem basic but it would of taken weeks of rolling in class for it to click. I lost by submission 3of 4 fights and lost by 2 points on the one I lasted.
This is just an encouragement to guys who are scared to look bad or compete. I had a blast and made some new friends and learned to guard my neck lol. I hope to do some more since I still suck but I am getting submissions in class and think I learn more when I am competing.

Sorry if this is a lame first post but I thought it might help a few out.

Well done dude, it's good you are enjoying it.

You just have to stay this motivated and you will be sweet.

May I ask where you train? I have never heard of a tournament like you said, sounds cool. Wish my academy would do it haha!

Well done dude, it's good you are enjoying it.

You just have to stay this motivated and you will be sweet.

May I ask where you train? I have never heard of a tournament like you said, sounds cool. Wish my academy would do it haha!

Maui jiu jitsu I train at the west side affiliate ADG

not being a dick but you're relatively new so everything jiujitsu is awesome to you. i wanna see you maintain that level of enthusiasm after a couple of years while trying to balance career & family life.

Maui jiu jitsu I train at the west side affiliate ADG

Awesome, dude.

I actually had a friend from my academy go over to Hawaii and train at some places, can't recall if he mentioned your school or not, however.

not being a dick but you're relatively new so everything jiujitsu is awesome to you. i wanna see you maintain that level of enthusiasm after a couple of years while trying to balance career & family life.

I hope I can also. I am 29 and married. No kids prob wont have any. I am a Captain so sometimes that gets in the way. My wife is very understanding she knows I need this and surfing to balance me out. Hopefully all will stay good if not, well thats life, it changes.

But this was just to get guys to put themselves out there for the experience. Not about me being a super enthusiastic noob ( I know I am the annoying new guy LOL)

FYI, saying "not being a dick" doesn't mean you're not being a dick.

Well done man, 1 competition gives the same results 2-3 weeks of training IMO. Lets you know where your weak areas are better than any roll at the end of class will.

Best way to deal with the family is try and get your family into it and if you can't at least you made the effort to involve them in your activity

Best way to deal with the family is try and get your family into it and if you can't at least you made the effort to involve them in your activity

Depends on your situation. I know some guys who gladly involve a wife or girlfriend or kids. I also know plenty who do jiu-jitsu because it's something they can do where they don't have to deal with the wife & kids for a few hours.

Sorry if this is a lame first post but I thought it might help a few out.

Not a bad first post at all, IMO. Certainly a lot better than the typical newbie brag post about winning a first tournament or "just had my first day and I tapped out like 6 purple belts".

I like that you point out the benefits of competing even if you don't win. It's an incredibly valuable tool to figure out what's working and what parts of your game need attention. Glad you took it as a positive.

I hope I can also. I am 29 and married. No kids prob wont have any. I am a Captain so sometimes that gets in the way. My wife is very understanding she knows I need this and surfing to balance me out. Hopefully all will stay good if not, well thats life, it changes.
Stick with and work hard.

I started at 28 as a newlywed. Here I am five years later and a purple belt (no kids either). I'm still enthusiastic and going strong. My wife supports me 100%, like you said yours does. Run with it.

Keep with it, and you won't be sorry.

With all due respect, you are being a dick. Don't get offended though, I did say, "With all due respect,".

Well done man, 1 competition gives the same results 2-3 weeks of training IMO. Lets you know where your weak areas are better than any roll at the end of class will.
He has only been doing BJJ for a few weeks. Everywhere is his weak area.
No offense, since everyone else is saying it.

No offense brah but you sound like a badass. Just sayin.

Started at 40. Almost 6 months in. It's been life changing. Competed a few weeks ago. Lost both my matches but learned a whole lot about breathing and trying to control my adrenaline. I also learned that I've never been truly tired in class.

My wife really wants nothing to do with Jiu Jitsu. She attends a kickboxing class at the gym but she doesn't stay to watch me. If I talked to her about it her eyes kind of glaze over and she says that I'm boring her. She knows I love it and doesn't get in the way but she will never be involved.

But this was just to get guys to put themselves out there for the experience. Not about me being a super enthusiastic noob ( I know I am the annoying new guy LOL)

Thanks for the advice man, I feel the same way. I never competed in a tournament before or played any organized sports growing up in school, so doing a grappling tournament is really getting out of my 'comfort' zone. I plan on competing at NAGA late January. I definitely want to compete in at least one grappling tournament just for the experience and not having regrets(due to fear) or keep waiting until I'm 'better' prepared.

until I'm 'better' prepared.

By the time you're better prepared...you'll get promoted, and be even less prepared. "Flow with the go my friend. Be the hammer and let your competitors be your nails." If that's not motivational enough for you... "Don't be scared, homie!" Good luck next month.

But TS, good first post.

Back