A Hole in Cruz's Game (Anyone Else Notice?)

Hes usually in a T position when he throws.same position bisping knocked out rockhold in.

Not always though, when he gets tired he'll wing those same punches from straight on
I think that's part of the reason Bang was obsessed with TJ knocking Cruz out with a right headkick, and TJ caught him with it a couple times too - Cruz just has great awareness and a solid chin

I'm certainly not saying I could kick his ass and I made it pretty clear that I think Dom is an incredibly talented fighter. I'm just pointing out something I noticed and being critical.
I feel like anybody who has ever seen him fight can point it out, but nobody can actually put it into practice.

Frankie vs Dom is such an awesome match up. I think Frankie's chances are better at 145 but I still think Dom would edge out a W on him. Hopefully we get to find out one day.

"Anyways, about Dom vs. Cody, I think Dom TKO's Cody in round 3 or 4."

{<redford}

I think Dom RD1 (T)KO or RD4 Sub or (T)KO.

<36>

Check out my non bias thread on how Cody could win

Wow, I can't believe people are actually discussing tactics and skills in MMA on here. I didn't think we did this anymore on Sherdog and didn't think I'd get so many replies. Very nice to see lol. Thanks to everyone participating.

He also drops his head when he throws a punch. He keeps his hands low.
His style isn't textbook but it hasn't failed him so far

When he loses his speed advantage, then and only then, will that catch up with him.

Honestly, the safest bet would be to be a 135lbs version of khabib. Fuck trying to figure cruz out on the feet—just be a better grappler than him. Luckily for cruz, he's a great grappler and there is no one like khabib in his division.

Actually we just need a 135lbs version of Lando Vannata, he just flows & fights with no pattern which will make it nearly impossible for Cruz to get a read on him to do anything.

Wow, I can't believe people are actually discussing tactics and skills in MMA on here. I didn't think we did this anymore on Sherdog and didn't think I'd get so many replies. Very nice to see lol. Thanks to everyone participating.

Triggered. Platinum bless :D

Actually we just need a 135lbs version of Lando Vannata, he just flows & fights with no pattern which will make it nearly impossible for Cruz to get a read on him to do anything.

Cruz would take someone like that down with ease.

Dom comes forward whenever his opponent isn't. But comparing to Aldo...he never comes at you like Aldo foolishly did in that fight.
Taking the time to properly read the thread, I have to agree with you. I just always remember him circling out and being out of reach. That must be what fooled me.

Aldo's foolish jump forward might be the biggest brain fart from a fighter since Paul Harris jumped on the fence to celebrate... Nothing.

he gets away with it cause he fights midgets with terrible boxing

I know exactly what you're talking about, but remember, he knows he's always in position, where even if he does get hit, he's so far away, either his entire body, or his head is so far off to the side, he's not gonna get the full impact of the shot. For example, he knows if he throws a certain shot, from a certain side, he knows the only option his opponent has is to throw a jab, or left hook from that position, so he'll take that chance. Besides, he's so spacially aware, he's always in distance to slide right out.

Also, remember, when he's throwing his shots, he knows his opponent has to keep his hands up, and block, or defend, so once he sees his opponent ready to throw back at him, he can be out, or position his head to not get hit, or get hit clean.

That, plus keep in mind that Cruz's winging hooks are a bit like Fedor's casting style, except that Cruz is much faster in moving defensively.

People have been trying to make the argument that Cruz is easy to hit, but people struggle to land on him with any consistency, let alone head kick him.

Cruz is always in movement and he never set up is punches. Normally a fighter stops its feet to use is legs and hips in is strikes but Cruz doesn't want to punch hard, he wants to hit a lot and not get hit plus is grappling is high standard.

If you look at most fighters even in defense they stop moving their feet when the other guy is punching, they slip, weave, backup or block just after planting their feet at the same time the other guy stops moving to throw a punch.

Cruz just slip while he's moving and he moves sideways a lot, that is also pretty irregular.

It must be some puzzle to train a guy to fight Cruz. This guy is taller, top grappler and he does nothing like the other guys you fought or train with. Cruz as barely ever been punched hard or knocked down.

I kind of hate is style and I won't watch is fights if I have to pay for them but I'll never bet against him at 135

I always thought it would be a little easier to try to work the body then go for head shots. Seems like most of his opponents just head hunt. Cody will do the same and lose.

Yeah, Cruz's boxing technique is pretty horrible

I'm always trying to learn but I will keep posting and if I'm wrong, then I am. There are certainly worst posts and posters on here and you probably know that. It's been awhile since I've seen the fight but I can recall Aldo leading with his face in that moment the exchanged punches.

Fair enough.

Is it my imagination or did Dillashaw try to head kick him no less than 100 times? Have not seen the fight since original air date.

Yeah I think I went at least 2 for 20 to 25 on the high kicks. I don't know why he started kicking the leg so late in the fight.

Back