A Hole in Cruz's Game (Anyone Else Notice?)

Reign009

Not sure if serious.
Reaction score
I've seen him do this a lot in fights. He throws these really wide arm punches like he's throwing a baseball or something. Often times multiple (lefts and rights, one after another). He's very vulnerable whenever he does this but he's gotten away with it for so long.

We saw the same sort of situation in McGregor/Aldo in which Aldo swung wide against McGregor and McGregor caught him with a straight left. Of course McGregor is an above average boxer in MMA so instead of backing out or simply trying to block, McGregor countered him.

Cruz is a very good fighter but every time I see this I just almost cringe. He's good in a lot of areas but this is a hole in his game that could be exposed by a good counter puncher.

Do you think this could bite him in the ass? If I was Garbrandt, I'd sure be paying attention to this tendency.

He kinda ducks and hold before throwing which I think 'might' open him up to a head kick.

I know exactly what you're talking about, but remember, he knows he's always in position, where even if he does get hit, he's so far away, either his entire body, or his head is so far off to the side, he's not gonna get the full impact of the shot. For example, he knows if he throws a certain shot, from a certain side, he knows the only option his opponent has is to throw a jab, or left hook from that position, so he'll take that chance. Besides, he's so spacially aware, he's always in distance to slide right out.

Also, remember, when he's throwing his shots, he knows his opponent has to keep his hands up, and block, or defend, so once he sees his opponent ready to throw back at him, he can be out, or position his head to not get hit, or get hit clean.

He kinda ducks and hold before throwing which I think 'might' open him up to a head kick.

Is it my imagination or did Dillashaw try to head kick him no less than 100 times? Have not seen the fight since original air date.

Is it my imagination or did Dillashaw try to head kick him no less than 100 times? Have not seen the fight since original air date.

Dillashaw at one point wound up and missed 10 straight strikes in that fight. Boy when Dom frustrates you.. He really does.

I honestly dont remember man, same here I only watched it the one time, the reason I wrote that is because the cruz v faber 3rd fight was on when i turned the tv on and it was the first thing i noticed, then this thread was posted

I know exactly what you're talking about, but remember, he knows he's always in position, where even if he does get hit, he's so far away, either his entire body, or his head is so far off to the side, he's not gonna get the full impact of the shot. For example, he knows if he throws a certain shot, from a certain side, he knows the only option his opponent has is to throw a jab, or left hook from that position, so he'll take that chance. Besides, he's so spacially aware, he's always in distance to slide right out.

Also, remember, when he's throwing his shots, he knows his opponent has to keep his hands up, and block, or defend, so once he sees his opponent ready to throw back at him, he can be out, or position his head to not get hit, or get hit clean.

Good posts but I still think he's vulnerable. I've seen him practically chase guys with this sort of punch and completely miss. I just think think there hasn't been anyone with the sort of timing to catch him yet. And to the second poster I've thought about that too. Especially the way he ducks into it sometimes. The sort of kick Cowboy caught Matt Brown with. Man he ducked in so hard with one in his last fight against Faber but Faber backed away instead of countering.

Good posts but I still think he's vulnerable. I've seen him practically chase guys with this sort of punch and completely miss. I just think think there hasn't been anyone with the sort of timing to catch him yet. And to the second poster I've thought about that too. Especially the way he ducks into it sometimes. The sort of kick Cowboy caught Matt Brown with. Man he ducked in so hard with one in his last fight against Faber but Faber backed away instead of countering.

You might be right, but a guy like Faber can for sure make you pay for making mistakes. Faber is very underrated with casual fans. They think he's just some popular blonde guy, but he's a killer. We'll see, I actually want to see Cody win, because Dom is kind of annoying to me, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Yes he does throw those wide hooks. And yes it always leaves him open. His opponents know that he is going to be doing this yet they can't put a finger on him while he sneaks in and out. He normally does this repeatedly later on in rounds when he suspects that his opponents don't have a clue about how to catch him. And I believe its definitely possible for someone to land a big one while he does this. It just might be Cody because he might have the fastest hands in division. Important to note that Cruz never does the exactly the same head movement on repeat. He switches it around so his opponents are basically guessing.

You might be right, but a guy like Faber can for sure make you pay for making mistakes. Faber is very underrated with casual fans. They think he's just some popular blonde guy, but he's a killer. We'll see, I actually want to see Cody win, because Dom is kind of annoying to me, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Faber is an absolute beast. His scrambles are some of the best.

giphy.gif

I seriously cringe at some of Dom's strikes when he gets tired. And how do you even throw a punch with no leverage like the last one he did??? I mean, I know I have no room to talk, and he'd kick my ass, but just looks so retarded.

yeah this is what I was talking about when I said sloppy striking

Thanks for posting it
He's gotten sloppier, he didn't use to swing that wide
He gets away with it because he's usually taking a dominant angle, and a lot of times he gets guys to freeze with his feints which gives him the luxury of being able to swing sloppy. But his technique above his hips starts looking bad deep into fights. So pretty much past the first round.

Dom has way more holes than people want to admit, but he has such a deep toolbox that there's no easy way to exploit them.

KORMAN is correct, what Cruz does makes it really hard to hit his head clean, yet at the same time everyone goes for his head anyway and ends up missing badly. The better way to do it is to block Cruz's punches into a clinch, then throw back at him when he can't move because he's being held. This does open up the wrestling & takedowns for Cruz, but he's not a strong top position guy like GSP or Khabib so it's not terrible. Option 2 is quit head hunting and bang the body. Block or eat Cruz's punches, he's not going to knock you out unless you're Mizugaki, and just keep punching & kicking him in the body till he starts doing something about it, then chop his legs and go back to the body. Once Cruz is hurt to the body & legs, he can't dance around the ring and move his head as much, and that's when you start going for his head.

I've seen him do this a lot in fights. He throws these really wide arm punches like he's throwing a baseball or something. Often times multiple (lefts and rights, one after another). He's very vulnerable whenever he does this but he's gotten away with it for so long.

We saw the same sort of situation in McGregor/Aldo in which Aldo swung wide against McGregor and McGregor caught him with a straight left. Of course McGregor is an above average boxer in MMA so instead of backing out or simply trying to block, McGregor countered him.

Cruz is a very good fighter but every time I see this I just almost cringe. He's good in a lot of areas but this is a hole in his game that could be exposed by a good counter puncher.

Do you think this could bite him in the ass? If I was Garbrandt, I'd sure be paying attention to this tendency.
15209773.jpg

I think some of his strikes look kinda awkward because of his movement and angles. Also I think he must know a little bit more than us, he will be fine.

If only Cody was smart or with anyone other than TAM. They still have no idea what to do against Dom.

Back