A headache is weakness leaving the brain

6 mile hike this morning. Heart rate was higher than I'd like (up to 140 or so for most of the hike). I suspect that is due to the IPA's I was drinking last night making me slightly dehydrated.

I usually find my log by using the google search at the top of the page once I'm in the Logs forum. However, because of my log title, it makes all my google ads relate to headache medications.

My ankle felt a bit sore this morning. Might have overdone the hike yesterday.

Squats:
5x45 5x135 5x185 5x225 5x285 5x285 5x285
Didn't feel great, and I took an extra long break between second and third sets.

Press:
5x45 5x85 5x85 5x85
Still feels ridiculously light, but at 15 pounds per week we'll be in reasonable numbers in a couple months.

Deadlift:
5x135 5x315

Deads felt great. Probably should have done another warmup between the two of these, but we had already been lifting for more than an hour, and it's a pretty sticky day today. I'll need to think about how I want to increase this, but I feel like I could easily have done 365 today if not more. Deads have always been my strongest lift.

Woke up this morning extremely unmotivated and didn't have a great feeling about how today's workout was going to go. I was pleasantly surprised.

Squat:
5x45 5x135 5x185 5x225 2x255
5x295 5x295 5x295

The 2 rep warmup at the end was designed to bridge me to the work sets without tiring me out too much.

Press:
5x45
5x95 5x95 5x95

Still feels pretty easy, and my shoulder is feeling better each workout.

Power Cleans
3x145 3x145 3x145 3x145 3x145

The cleans were done with not a lot of rest between them. Since one of my lifting partners and I are lifting the same weight, we just alternated our sets and then set up the bar for our other two lifting partners who are really just learning the exercise.

5 mile walk. Heart rate remained at reasonable levels. My legs still feel tired from Monday. Glad to have an extra day of rest here. Scheduled for next lifts tomorrow, Sat, Mon. May beg training partners for an extra day of left after tomorrow to do a Thurs - Sun - Tue lift.

I have a headache right now, and it doesn't feel like weakness leaving the brain.

Had a good lift session today.

Squat:
5x45 5x135 5x185 3x225 2x265 5x305 5x305 5x305

I'm actually pretty excited about my squat progression, especially since I've been out of lifting for so long. According to my records, I'm pretty close to on par with where I was in Sep 2010, which was just 3 months shy of peak strength. I've been paying much more attention to form on these squats, and I'm fairly sure that the quality of the reps is much higher than it was 2 years ago when I was at this weight.

Press:
5x45 5x100 5x100 5x100

These didn't feel heavy, but there was some shake to my arms. We may start being more serious about adding some bench into our workouts, which may help with arm strength especially if we can keep the bench press sets a little narrow. I've got some pain when I lift my right arm straight up in the air, and there may be a visit to a sports doctor for this in the not too distant future.

Deadlift:
5x135 1x225 1x315 5x365

Last rep at 365 was pretty crappy. I could feel my form break down mid way, but decided to push through and was able to lock it out. This was a 50 pound jump from last week, which was probably just stupid. However, deadlift was my best lift before, and I wanted to get a better sense for what my actual strength levels are. I'll probably back this off by 30 pounds and work upwards.

We've agreed to take 2 days off between lifting (since we are now a collection of four relatively older men who are lifting together). I think this is going to benefit us from a recovery perspective, and will still have us lifting 3 times per week every 3 weeks. I was concerned that we were next scheduled to lift on Saturday, and had we done so it would have been a morning lift, which would really only give us a day and a half of rest.

Tomorrow: eat a ton of food and try to walk six miles.

pain is only fear leaving the body.

sorry if already posted, not looking at any of the previous replies.

A headache is strength leaving the body.

No training today, other than heavy sampling of India Pale Ales (one must curl occasionally?). Walking tomorrow will not be pleasant.

Pretty deep re-set. I will be following your progress, and hoping to see you squatting ovet 400 for reps some time before too long.

Pulled out the mountain bike, inflated the tires, and threw some oil on the moving parts. Rode one of the local park trails for an hour, maintaining a HR of about 150 for most of the ride. This was pretty painful to my lower back (and historically, biking has always been painful for my back).

It's squaturday, but then again, on SS, every lifting day is. I was pretty happy with today's squats, since I hit the psychologically significant 315 level.

Squats
Warmups:
5x45 5x135 5x185 5x225 2x275
Work Sets
5x315 5x315 5x315

Press:
5x45
5x105 5x105 5x105

Still feels really light

Power Cleans:
0x150

Set up for this, and as I transitioned to the second pull felt a sharp pain in my elbow at the base of my bicep. Aborted on this exercise for the day. I think that as the weight has gone up that my power clean turned into a power-bent-over-row-clean monstrosity. I think I need to get some coaching, and may need to track down someone in Austin who can work on these with me. I've definitely got some arm involvement that I need to eliminate. Left elbow is wrapped with an ice pack as I type this.

Pretty deep re-set. I will be following your progress, and hoping to see you squatting ovet 400 for reps some time before too long.

I think I'm just about 2 months out from that. I've probably got a few more sessions in which I can bump the squat by 10 pounds, then it's just a question of grinding through the 5 and 2.5 pound jumps. I'm working hard to keep the calories high enough to continue linear progression as long as I can.

Pulled out the mountain bike, inflated the tires, and threw some oil on the moving parts. Rode one of the local park trails for an hour, maintaining a HR of about 150 for most of the ride. This was pretty painful to my lower back (and historically, biking has always been painful for my back).

What trails do you go on in Austin? When I used to mountain bike I used to go to Walnut Creek.

What trails do you go on in Austin? When I used to mountain bike I used to go to Walnut Creek.

When I lived closer to central, I used to ride the Barton Creek Greenbelt on a regular basis. I live in Cedar Park, so now I just hit some of the Cedar Park/Leander multipurpose trails. This time we did the Brushy Creek Regional Trail, which is a mix of paved/gravel trails that runs about 7 miles out and back. By the end of the summer, they'll have connected this to another trail that runs parallel to 183A, which should give us 20+ miles of connected trails.

It was terrifying how much biking skill I've lost - lots of overcompensation on turns and braking. Will definitely need a few more hours on the bike before I'm comfortable doing any of the more technical trails.

1 hour mountain bike ride. Did the same ride that I did on Saturday. Heart rate was much lower (about 20 bpm from 150 to 130). However, it was nearly 10 degrees cooler today, and I had the foresight to bring water this time.

Am now drinking critical rehydration beers.

Am now drinking critical rehydration beers.

These are so important, I've been drinking these even during late afternoon/evenings when I haven't exercised. Just to make sure.

I'm normally religious about taking caffeine before workouts. Today, it completely slipped my mind. We skipped the deadlifts that we should have done at the end of this workout, and I think if I'd been properly caffeinated I never would have let myself rationalize those deadlifts away.

Squats:
warmup: 5x45 5x135 5x185 3x225 2x275
Work Sets: 5x325 5x325 5x325

These are still feeling pretty good, and now that we've switched to an "every 3 days" lifting schedule I feel like I'm getting adequate recovery and should be able to continue linear progression for a few more weeks. Bar speed and depth remain solid. I've looked at my training records, and this puts me back to where I was in Sept 2010, which was about 3 months before my peak strength. However, I'm fairly sure that my squat form is much better than what it was 2 years ago.

Press:
5x45 5x110 5x110 5x110

Still feeling easy, very fast bar speed. We'll continue with just these until they start to feel heavy, then start alternating with bench press.

Excessive beers yesterday definitely hurt today's lifts.

Squats:
5x45 5x135 5x185 2x225 2x275 1x315 1x365 1x385

Since I was feeling miserable, I decided to just a few heavier singles to see how they felt. The 385 went up fairly well, and I suspect that if I wasn't dehydrated and hung over that I could have hit 405 easily.

Press:
5x45 5x115 5x115 5x115

Still felt easy

Skipped deadlifts again in the interest of not hurling in my friend's garage.

Since yesterday's lifts were kind of crappy, and I had a 2 day break, decided to do a bench day. My lifting partner has some shoulder issues that are likely to keep him from bench for a while, so I snuck out to bench without him.

Bench:
5x45 5x135 5x185
5x205 5x205 3x205

Since I've benched only once since resuming lifting, I wasn't sure where the work sets should be. I felt great on the 205 for the first couple of sets, but the third was tough and I needed a spot when trying for a 4th rep. I'm going to try to get one bench day in each week, but I'll drop the weight to 185 and start a normal linear progression from there, probably at 10 pounds intervals for the first couple weeks, and 5's for a few weeks after that. I feel like I should be able to get back to 275 with linear progress. I've historically had problems (and injuries) chasing 315.

Very happy with today's lifts. Everything felt very solid.

Squats
Warmup: 5x45 5x135 5x185 3x225 2x275
Work Sets: 5x335 5x335 5x335

Speed was strong on all the work sets, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I can keep the linear progress for a while, especially on the 2-day-break-between-sessions plan.

Press:
Warmup: 5x45
Work Sets: 5x120 5x120 5x120

Continue to feel strong on those. Bar speed is good. My partner is about to stall on these, but I expect linear progression each workout for another 40 pounds.

Deadlifts:
Warmup: 5x135 1x225 1x315
Work Set: 5x365

Of my lifts today, I was probably happiest with this one. The last time I deadlifted the form on the 365 really broke down on the last rep. This time I felt strong enough that I could have pushed out some more reps with good form. Will bump to 385 for the next deadlift session.

Back