A guide to the seven most annoying types of people in BJJ

What about the 5'o Clock douchebag and bandage king? That shit is like sand paper and having someone elses bandage on you is disgusting.

Never heard of the 5oclock douche bag, but have experienced the bandage king, bleeding buddy and the happy tape guy.

This is definitely the best version of this idea that I've seen. Cat piss gi guy was hilarious.

I was expecting to fall into one of those categories. Guess I'm not that annoying.

I have to be really careful not to be Phil. If I don't go in with a plan to work on something I'm all like:

Darce Killer Sweep
Knee Cut Pass
Hip Bump
Kimura (side mount or guard)

Cat Piss dude is the worst. I went to a seminar taught by cat piss dude, one time.

Lets go light guy has two variations: the one that says he wants to go light until you expose your back, and suddenly he gets blood in his mouth / feels hope / and lunges 100%. The other one is the one who gets upset when he gets tapped and starts spazzing, jerking on your gi and shit.

The first one is a little aggravating to your ego if he gets you but isn't a big deal. The second is an asshole.

Edit: Darce killer sweep isn't really my fault though. People should stop laying on me while they are over-hooking my arm.

IMO - light rolling should be submission free. Tends to cut down on the hard core "light roller"

IMO - light rolling should be submission free. Tends to cut down on the hard core "light roller"

No.

As of the article, it was hilarious. And while I'm not an extreme example of any of those I have made those mistakes before, realised them and made amends . So hopefully not every guy you meet that falls into those categories will stay that way for longer than a training session or two.

None of those types are really bothersome except for #1.

I like Munidals guy. Especially when I'm tired. If I can't handle the intensity then that's my problem.

Whenever someone tells me, "Let's go light. Something is hurt"....etc. I say, "No, I'm going normal (which is hard). If you're that injured then you shouldn't be on the mat during sparring".

None of those types are really bothersome except for #1.

I like Munidals guy. Especially when I'm tired. If I can't handle the intensity then that's my problem.

Whenever someone tells me, "Let's go light. Something is hurt"....etc. I say, "No, I'm going normal (which is hard). If you're that injured then you shouldn't be on the mat during sparring".

I don't mind going light if someone asks. More often than not it is because they have an injury and still recovering.

One BJJ type that was not mentioned, was Your Too Big for Me Guy. This is the guy that won't role with you or is very reluctant to because you outweigh him and sometimes not by that much.

I don't mind going light if someone asks. More often than not it is because they have an injury and still recovering.

That's cool. I've been burned too many times to fall for that line, though.

i've been told many times by a lot of people in the gym and the instructor that my gi often smells like cat piss or just regular piss... granted its my only gi that i've had for about 8 years (recently one of the sleeves ripped apart so i think its time for a new one finally lol).. but its ALWAYS clean and so am I, but gis do tend to get yellowish around armpit area and smell a bit over time

well there is a combination of internet explorer and whitebelt coach. Oh well there are these guys but always always focus on your improvement. dont roll with cat piss though

One BJJ type that was not mentioned, was Your Too Big for Me Guy. This is the guy that won't role with you or is very reluctant to because you outweigh him and sometimes not by that much.

Worse is the You Beat Me With Size/Strength Guy who often hides this tendency by avoiding saying it outright but disguises it as a compliment "wow you're so strong" etc.

The cat piss dude at our gym doesn't wear underwear when he rolls...he's so fucking gross

I won't roll with cat piss guy. I week just sit out a roll if I have to. I will be vocal about it too. Tell the instructor and other students out loud. Fuck that. I've gotten staph once and ringworm once. I have some mulloskem warts that I get burned off. I don't roll with dirty stinky ass people anymore.

I'm totally the no gi warrior (not 10th planet because I don't do 10th planet). I have, many times, gone to gi open mats wearing no gi gear. However I NEVER grab the pants or clothing of my opponent, possibly because I am even more "no gi for life" than the 10th planet guy in the article. I just don't believe in clothing. It's like it doesn't exist to me.

Ned is mundials guy lol.

LMAO

Worse is the You Beat Me With Size/Strength Guy who often hides this tendency by avoiding saying it outright but disguises it as a compliment "wow you're so strong" etc.

Ha I remember this one time. I got tapped like 3 times in a round and between rounds I asked the guy how much he weighed. I could tell he took exception to it like I was blaming the size/strength difference. We were the same size but he was friggin ripped. I asked because he had the body type that I would like to achieve with a good weight regimen. Turned out he was literally my same weight, but about an inch taller and more muscle mass. He was cool about it after I explained. A month later he got his black belt. Cool guy. Irrelevant post. LOL.

Back