A friend of mine surfed in Lake Supperior today with a -35 wind chill

epic friend man, I watched a doc about some guys surfing in norway during winter

Insane , I hate the cold so that kid is a tough indeed

Sounds like an idiot.

flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

Normally I value mental toughness, but there comes a point where you're sort of being willfully foolish. It's like, "Hypothermia and frostbite aren't just in your head, dude. These aren't things that you can make go away by just biting down and 'mentally overcoming'."

They do wear wetsuits, but their face is still exposed.

I went to Michigan Tech so I know why your friend did it. There was nothing else to do.

A friend of mine injured his back, picking up his car keys.

That's nothing, I see them Russian's swim in that type of weather. Brazy.

I suspect I will never succeed, but I so much want to swim, sail, or just piss in the Great Lakes.

Normally I value mental toughness, but there comes a point where you're sort of being willfully foolish. It's like, "Hypothermia and frostbite aren't just in your head, dude. These aren't things that you can make go away by just biting down and 'mentally overcoming'."

David Blaine laughs at your mental shortcomings.

20001129c.jpg

I live right by Lake Superior -- by Duluth, MN. It was -18F last night and we have a new puppy, and I absentmindedly went outside with the little guy so he could pee at 4AM barefoot. I tell ya, that cold burns the feet. I wouldn't be doing much surfing in it.

I'm in chicago this week and it's been hovering around 0 degrees since I got here. This is a whole new level of cold for me.

Your friend is a little crazy. Fair enough though.

Back