A few quick questions when the search failed me.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Arson Of Ages***, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Arson Of Ages***

Arson Of Ages*** Purple Belt

Sherdog search function blows, so if these questions have been answered elsewhere, please link me, or answer the questions instead of flaming;

Are canned vegetables a waste of time?:
    I'm trying to lose weight, and I'm think a lean protein/veggie diet might work best for me. Basically, cut the carbs.

What is the best way to cook frozen chicken/turkey when grilling isn't an option?:
    Stove top/oven, what say you?

Also, something of note: I'm not worried about taste, as I lost my sense of taste a few years back. So, I don't particularly need any delicious tasting tips, though they're welcome for anyone else reading the thread.

Basically, I've gained some weight, and trying to lose it, but I'm on a budget. It's cheap to buy bags of frozen chicken/turkey breasts, and canned vegetables.

Also, bonus inquiry: Any other ideas for simple foods to eat, while avoiding carbs? Simple and cheap are the route I'm taking.

2. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

There's nothing really "wrong" with canned vegetables, but I think you'll enjoy your vegetables much more if you buy fresh. I'd look for other ways to save money before I cut fresh veggies from my diet--it's not like they're that expensive anyway.

The meat thing is just personal preference...for me, stove works fine.

Also, you sound like you're scared of fat. Don't be.

3. Arson Of Ages***

I have to be a little more scared of fat than most. My weight loss will be purely dietary, as I won't be able to exercise soon, due to a knee surgery I'll be getting. I still want to be able to get results, and dieting is the best option.

And hell, since I can't taste anything, if there is no downside to canned other than a less-than-fresh taste and texture, I'll do alright with them.

Thanks for the answers, guys!

4. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

No sense of taste, eh? Head trauma, or a mouth full of boiling oil?

You'll be "low carb" only eating lean meat and vegetables, and that is fine. Bake your bird meats whole, or slice them up and stir fry with your vegetables. Frozen vegetables are your best bet, they're the "freshest" usually.

Mix it up, use different vegetables.

If you're going to stir fry, use coconut oil or ghee (probably too expensive if you're on your budget). If you can't get these oils, just bake your meats. Poaching is fucking gross and will leech things out that you want in your body.

Don't shy away from fish, you should be able to get frozen cod fillets pretty cheap.

You can also get chicken legs and thighs cheap as fuck, you'll want these, the fat is ok, and you want to consume it from these sources. Ground dark meat turkey is fucking awesome. Fry some up in a pan, toss in some salsa, presto instant awesomeness.

6. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are Platinum Member

This comes one every so often, and it baffles me.

Some of the best foods are the cheapest.

Protein: Eggs can be found often for 99 cents a dozen. 99 cents for 72 grams of protein. Canned tuna is also very affordable.

Good Carbs: Canned beans are cheap as shit and are good sources of protein as well. Lentils are also buttons and another good carb protein mix. Brown rice is sometimes a little more expensive than white, but it is still cheap as hell. Raw Oats are cheap as shit also. Potatoes are also cheap, but I don't eat a lot of them.

Canned veggies are OK I guess, but I prefer frozen, which are generally pretty cheap also.

Using the above things as staples, you can invest in some honey, raisins or other cheap dried fruit, natural yogurt, and fresh onions and peppers, and you can eat off the chart healthy for VERY LITTLE money.

7. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

i take my chicken out of the freezer and boil it....pretty fast and gets the job done a lot faster than waiting for it to defrost then having to grill it

8. August West

August West Brown Belt

You can bake a boneless frozen chicken breast in 40 minutes, good stuff!

9. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I but both fresh and canned veggies only because i go grocery shopping every week and a half or so and and veggies tend to lose their freshness fairly quick. I live in an apartment so grilling is out for me. I usually buy chicken breast in bulk and cook a few at a time in a pan with light canola oil and then store them in the fridge until I need them. I've also started cooking chicken quarters in the oven. very juicey and delicious

10. Arson Of Ages***

Head trauma. I got in a pretty nasty car accident a while back, lost my sight temporarily, and hearing is still pretty weak as well. Those two have made a comeback, though, so maybe my taste will as well.

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys!