A few of my matches from yesterday (black gi)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by sandmann, Aug 8, 2010.

1. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

Comments/Critique welcome

2. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I watched your second match from across the mats.

Fucking music gave me a headache. You did well. Better than me. Lost a ref's decision.

3. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

Thanks man, I felt a lot more ready to go by my 2nd match. Tough luck on the ref's decision. I didn't mind the music playing but techno (Or whatever it was) really isn't my thing.

P.S What club are you from?

4. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Kombat Arts/Nova Uniao.

The music was annoying, I was there all day. Made my head want to explode.

It was my first time competing.

5. MasonTJJ

MasonTJJ Yellow Belt

Congrats on your wins. A few things I saw, but I'd hope for one of the Grappling Forum's heavyweights to give a real critique of your performance:

Match 1, your standing posture was ugly. You were broken at the waist, but almost ramrod straight in the legs. Keep your torso more upright, knees bent, hips lower. Gives you a better shot, heavier/faster sprawl, easier guard pulls, essentially a "better everything."
    Focus more on your posture in his guard than on him taking a single cross collar grab. While it's definitely something to be cognizant of, you don't need to take double wrist control to break that grip. He should have swept you; you probably wouldn't have been able to base fast enough with either hand.
    When you took the back, you were really high and almost fell off him to one side. At 2:48, you can see you have one hook super deep, one leg out, and your hips are in his shoulder/neck area.

All that aside, good job going out and competing, coming back with the W. And kudos for posting your competition for the world to see/judge.

6. psyquanta

psyquanta White Belt

congrats on the W's...I like your approach to the game, looks like you focus more on technique than brute strength and/or aggression, I prefer to train with guys like you...keep up the good work

7. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

Thanks for those tips. Especially about the standing posture which is deffinitly the worst part of my game. I as well saw opportunity for him to just sit right through for a hip bump sweep. I was probably jumped the gun a little to get my first hook in which is why I think I ended up so high on his back.

Just so everyone knows I won the second match with a RNC( hard to tell) which was a surprise for me because I never go for them. I always go for a bow and arrow from the back but he was just letting me sink my arm under the chin so i figured why not go for it since if it doesnt work i maintain my position.

Man thanks a lot. In both of these matches I felt really relaxed and I could tell my oponents were real tense and gasing quick. The guy in the white gi cursed a few times during the match because he was getting so tired. That being said I really wish I finished him. I had a cross collar choke in on him from half gaurd and into side control that I am surprised he didnt tap to. Again thanks a lot for the compliment it means a lot that you could notice that.

8. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

i think a standing closed guard pass would have served you well at the beginning of the first match. work on clearing that foot out of half guard, good points and more leverage for subs. you did a great job in those matches, thanks for sharing.

9. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

I watched the second match. Congrats on the win. The guy had a pretty good guard for a white belt. You had good patience in not rushing into anything.

-At 1:59 you had the guard passed if you would have kept the pressure on, but you just backed off and let him regain guard.

-At 2:10 you try to pass open guard from standing. Put your elbows on the inside of his legs, not the outside.

-Nice arabian sun goggles at 2:30

-Nice finish from the back

10. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

Ya passing half guard is deffinitly something I need to work on more.

I remember thinking during the match, "Why did I let that happen?" I have a hard time passing inverted guard. Again something to work on.

On another note, when I was passing the guard of the guy in the blue gi I remember looking at his foot and thinking, " I wish I could go for a toe hold right now" knowing that if I did I would be DQ'd. Has this ever happened to anyone else before?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  11. Graciebarra 847

Graciebarra 847 Blue Belt

You did an awesome job! How long have your been training?

In the second match if that was no-gi or if you were a higher belt in bjj you had the toehold all day!

12. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

1 year and 2 months. Pretty consistantly. I try to get atleast 4-5 classes in per week.

13. psyquanta

psyquanta White Belt

At 4:30 in the second match, I was thinking "D'arce choke!":D Was that what you were going for there?

14. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

Ya I should of went for it earlier when I was going for the cross collar choke from the same position. It was kind of a half assed attempt as I knew my arm wasn't deep enough.

15. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

A little bit of a posture issue here and there but nothing major. Good rolling.

16. kpuz

kpuz White Belt

haha,
    I am actually in the first video as a bystander.

17. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

One thing I think worked well for me in this tournament is when I sprawled and moved towards the back I stayed up on my toes instead of being on my knees and allowing the opponent to grab my leg for a single. I have done seminars with Andre Galvao and the Mendes bro's and they are both really big on being on your toes from the sprawl and from side control.

18. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

I like heel hooks and knee bars myself, but whatever is there hehe.

19. adoniscomplex

adoniscomplex Orange Belt

did you win your division ?

20. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

use your hips more when in someones guard u r relying on your arms too much to keep posture