A DQ should not strip a champ and made a new champ

They should just go to the score cards at that point. If the challenger is winning, he gets the belt. If the champion is winning, they retain the belt. If it's a draw, the belt is up for grabs in a possible rematch.

They should just go to the score cards at that point. If the challenger is winning, he gets the belt. If the champion is winning, they retain the belt. If it's a draw, the belt is up for grabs in a possible rematch.
Then any champ would be free to cheat to end the fight as long as he was ahead on the scorecards at that moment. That doesn't work.

A DQ in a title fight should let the belt where she is, in the waist of the champ

For me a DQ should result -at best- to a No contest/draw or -at worst- to a defeat for the fighter who make the foul, not much.

Make no sense to give a belt and a champ statut in that way.

Your thought?

Suppose the defending Superbowl champions loses the next Superbowl because of a penalty (say they score the winning touchdown on the last play of the game but its called back because of an offside). Should they still be the Superbowl champs because losing on a penalty shouldn't transfer titles?

How about if the defending Olympic 100 meter sprint champion is DQ'd for too many false starts. Should he retain his Olympic championship because you shouldn't lose a title for a DQ.

How about a UFC champion who is losing a title fight but then in the last minute DQ's himself. Should he retain his title because you shouldn't lose a title for a DQ?

Depends on the situation. If its something extremely blatant and unsportmanlike i think it would be fair to strip the champion, but winning the belt by dq leaves a bad feeling all around and should not be an option imo.

A DQ in a title fight should let the belt where she is, in the waist of the champ

For me a DQ should result -at best- to a No contest/draw or -at worst- to a defeat for the fighter who make the foul, not much.

Your thought?

Do you understand how stupid that is? Someone losing a championship could just DQ to keep the belt.

You could ask for rule changes regarding downed opponents

An accidental foul and a blatant break of the rules are very different

this DQ was not the result of an accident, Yan's punishment was loss of the fight

That's what I just said. The cheater should be disqualified, but Sterling getting the belt? Not sure on that one

So if the champ personally dislikes his opponent, and knows he's losing the fight, he can make sure his a guy he doesn't like doesn't get the title by getting himself DQ'd? It'd be interesting, it'd make sure that challengers tried to stay on very good terms with the title holders.

That would create perverse incentives for the losing fighter to commit a foul.

This isn't pro rasslin

So if the champ is ahead on the card but is gassing fast, their best bet is to get themselves DQ'd to retain the belt? In fact, they could do a DQ type foul (like biting) instead of tapping to get out of a losing situation.

Nah, a DQ is a legitimate, albeit unfortunate way to lose. Thus, the fouled fighter is the legitimate winner and should get whatever comes along with that. This is a very unfortunate way for things to play out, but it is the best way in that situation.

Your thought?
"shit. I can't beat this guy/girl. Fuck it low blow it is". See the issue?

Stupid idea.

Imagine the champ getting beat up and do something crazy to get dq in the 5th round.
I could see colin doing that especially if he the champ and not the challenger against khalabeeb.

DQ should still be a win but the belt should be vacated rather than awarded to the "winner". That way it still would penalize Yan but not reward Sterling. UFC should work with the commission if necessary in the future so that belts can't be won by DQ.

I agree but let's be real... it's never happened before because no champion was stupid enough before to blatantly throw a clearly illegal strike like that and put himself in a spot where he could then give his opponent an easy out and lose his belt. Well actually Jones but whatever....Was incredibly stupid of Yan and he shouldn't get a pass on his stupidity. How does a champion not know the rules in his own sport? Beyond stupid.

Also this is going to sound stupid but that was a damn solid knee. Aljo was already losing lol why should he then have to compete after taking a knee flush to the face. Only way to make that shit fair would be give aljo 1 free shot to the face of Yan lol eye for an eye. Knee for knee then continue. JUST BLEEEEED.

Last edited:
Give Aljo the win, as his opponent lost by DQ. But then essentially strip Aljo and let the belt be vacant until their rematch

I'm impressed by how many people in here had a sane reasonable take on this. Of course you strip champ when he cheats. Of course the winner of a title fight gets the belt.

Your thought?
The problem with that is anytime a champ starts losing a fight all they have to do is foul and they retain their belt.

Your thought?
SO... champ is losing and isn't going to win a decision. So just start kicking your opponent in the balls blatantly every chance you get. That way you can't lose your belt

Back