Media A DAZN Article

I too am looking for information about Bellator and DAZN.

This probably doesnt mean anything, but I noticed the Bellator event's page for 243 only says "watch on Paramount" with no mention of DAZN. source: http://www.bellator.com/events/cxosir/bellator-243-chandler-vs-henderson-2
I also notice the Bellator Twitter Page has a 243 promotional banner which does mention DAZN. source: https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA
MMAFighting reported on July 24th that Bellator and BKFC start their partnership in August. Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/7/...e-to-broadcast-partnership-starting-in-august

I was a yearly DAZN subscriber, but lost 4 months ($150 CAD / 12 * 4) = $50 of service during covid sports shutdown. I would have lost out on July too, which would have made grand total loss of $62.50 CAD, but my yearly subscription ended in June.

I do not really care to support DAZN. I do not like how they treated customers. I do understand it is a difficult situation, I just thought it could have been handled better.

The only way I re-subscribe to DAZN is if Bellator announces continued partnership with DAZN. To be honest, that would be best case scenario as both Bellator and BKFC would make that yearly DAZN subscription even more valuable to me.

If they stay with DAZN what does that mean for their alleged Showtime partnership?

If they stay with DAZN what does that mean for their alleged Showtime partnership?

Is not a partnership. CBS who owns Showtime bought Viacom, who used to own bellator. So they own a ton of tv channels now. Stephen Espinoza the head guy of sports says that Bellator is going to fulfill the Dazn contact and after the plan is to move them to another station own by CBS.

I'm not sure if anyone really knows what the details of the Bellator and Dazn deal is. When it was first sign I saw multiple reports saying 3 year for about 100 million and an option for two more years at a pay increase. Even Frankie on here who was getting deeper into the business side of MMA was saying that is what he was hearing also. Which kind of makes sense based on some other deals they have signed. That started in Sept. of 2018. So maybe mid/early 2021 we'll hear something.

I think what sparked the Heavy report earlier this year saying they could go separate ways after two years is probably related to DAZN trying to cut some contracts to save money. They probably came to Viacom and asked if they'd be willing to leave or maybe offer some form of a small buyout. I'm assuming they would also say at the end of the three years they aren't picking up the option under the current terms. But Viacom probably said no thank you we'll take are 33+million we agreed to.

Either way the writing's on the wall for Bellator to come back under the Viacom umbrella in one form or another exclusively in the US. DAZN paid good but in the end the exposure I think suffered too much to ever grow the product.

Is not a partnership. CBS who owns Showtime bought Viacom, who used to own bellator. So they own a ton of tv channels now. Stephen Espinoza the head guy of sports says that Bellator is going to fulfill the Dazn contact and after the plan is to move them to another station own by CBS.
Showtime did not buy Viacom. Viacom owns many properties including Showtime, BET, VH1, VH2, MTV, MTV2, CMT, CBS, and more. Shari Redstone, Viacom's owner said several years ago that she wants to bring CBS back under the Viacom umbrella so Viacom can do cross promotion with it shows and sports. But for now, there is no definite anything when it comes to Bellator

Showtime did not buy Viacom. Viacom owns many properties including Showtime, BET, VH1, VH2, MTV, MTV2, CMT, CBS, and more. Shari Redstone, Viacom's owner said several years ago that she wants to bring CBS back under the Viacom umbrella so Viacom can do cross promotion with it shows and sports. But for now, there is no definite anything when it comes to Bellator
I did not said that. I said Viacom and CBS merged and own a lot of different stations

I did not said that. I said Viacom and CBS merged and own a lot of different stations
You stated that CBS who owns Showtime bought Viacom in your opening statement. I was simply correcting you on that error that it is Viacom that owns all of them.

im sure the pandemic gives Dazn an out because Bellator failed to produce events for months. It seems Dazn is trying to renegotiate and get out of alot of deals in the US and some other parts of the world.

DAZN seems to have it's priorities confused they wanted to be the number 1 place for boxing. I like boxing but Dana White is correct boxing is a mess on the business side. And DAZN number one sport show watched is soccer, boxing is only LIKE #5.

I cannot see Bellator staying there MMA is now considered a real sport and CBSSN + Will need them if they want to grow their streaming service.

DAZN is losing money but it's owner has money to burn, Len Blavatnik worth over 25 billion. Why is DAZN focused on boxing and on this new English translator app? Instead of spending all this time fighting with Golden Boy Promotions the need to focus on what is working. Soccer, baseball, motor sports, and football.

Is the boxing crowd too old for online streaming services as new fans are more into MMA? Boxing isn't growing really. The MMA orgs they got to sign were impressive list: Bellator, Road FC, KSW, Combate Americas, Jungle Fight and even Golden Boy tried turning a bit MMA.

With the loss of Bellator I can not see them holding up in the states. As most do not know these other promotions. UFC Fight Pass says they are combat sports but maybe that is too limiting as would like to see sports like Spartan Runs and Tricking events come to fight pass, even Ninja Warrior events. . .

DAZN reach was high in an area that is limited. If they want a sport to have a monopoly they should pick a sport where they have a chance, as on-line is a growing area and they have the money to burn and they can either give up or switch to another sport to focus on if MMA they can still have a foothold place if they had PFL. But get more of the stuff that get views like soccer..

My opinion piece on the opinion piece.

https://www.boxingscene.com/dazn-back-enough-people-care--150465

Last edited:
Back