A Collection of Mexican Food Basic Recipes

Man now im hungry all over again, just had some frijoles con chile verde burritas with boiled honey water and limon about an hour ago too.

got my daughter some cactus y jicama to have with honey and pico de gallo powder before bed. might have to jack some of that and serve it with some fresh squeezed oranges and chili powder.

We eat almost entirely southern dishes in our home.
with the occasional pizza ;)

great thread btw.
Say what you want about our brothers to the south but man they certainly knew how to cook.
Whats crazy is in america only a few southern dishes are really popular, but every region has its own variation of the same dish that is night and day.

My wife and I ate at Topolobampo (Bayless' flagship) several years ago and went all out with the multi-course tasting menu with wine and everything. Cost about $300 for two of us.

Having done that, I'd rather just go to Frontera Grill which is next door in the same building in Chicago. As stated before, kind of odd that the man widely regarded as the finest chef in the world specializing in Mexican food is a white dude from the Midwest, but whatever. His cookbooks and TV programs are an amazing educational resource.

Anyone from California/Arizona/Texas know how to make the red sauce that is served at many of the fast food Restaurants? Usually you get a red sauce and a green sauce. The red sauce I've made tastes to sweet and doesn't have the same consistency. Anybody know how to make it? Verde sauce I've pretty much mastered, but the red sauce I have not quite figured out.

Bump, looking for an answer to this question. I want to make some tonight... :)

Rick Bayless is boss, no doubt. My favourite type of food... ufff

If anyone has any questions about Mexican cuisine please ask Ill help out. I cook like a mugg. So Mexican rice, and that video thats posted are two completely different things. Also your arroz Mexicano shouldnt be mushy at all so here goes a great recipes.

What you need:
Iron Skillet
rice
one can of tomato sauce (not paste, not pasta sauce, they are little chubby cans, small little guys. I use cheap stuff for Mexican food dont go bouechy it never works)
Corn oil
Knorr powdered chicken stock, not the cubes the powder. It comes in a brown jar
Garlic if prefered
Onion if prefered
Corn if prefered

Recipe: (Keep in mind I eye ball everything, Ive cooked for a long time)
1.Heat your iron skillet on stove
2.Add about 2tbs of oil
3.add two-five of the chubby kool-aid scoops of rice. I think this is about a cup. Okay so really I eyeball and when it looks like I have enough, I stop. usually about 1/4" off the bottom of the skillet.
4.Stir, stir some more stir some more stir some more cook until your your rice is white
5.add onion and garlic stir cook for a minute
6.add can of tomato sauce, it will splatter your stove will get messy you got no choice
7.Add water until it covers the rice by about 1/2 inch and 1-2 tbs of knorr and add about 1/2c corn.
8.Taste if it is slightly salty your good if not add a little at a time until the H2O is slightly salty
9.Bring this to a roiling simmer
10.When the water is all but gone just a little bit covering the rice turn down heat to between 2-4 and cover the rice leaving just a slight opening for evaporation.
11.When it looks like all the water is gone (there should be little pits in the rice) cover and turn heat to one.
12.Let it just sit the rice will cook itself
13.About 15 minutes later done.

I know this is detailed but this is a great recipe. Mine comes out every time. Use this and tell me what you think.

I make mine a little different. I make a blender full of salsa. Half goes in a bowl to eat with chips and the other half is used to cook the rice (instead of just tomato sauce).

Awesome vids, TS. Thanks for putting these together.

I'm going to send the refried beans one to my wife and I guarantee she'll want to go out for mexican tonight.

I get to eat this stuff everyday. mum makes it best, all I have to do is find a hot latin mami that can cook.

already posted this in the food and recipe discussion, but it belongs here as well.

when i get a chance later tonight ill add my recipes for carnitas, barbacoa, enchiladas and menudo. any other requests ill tackle as time permits.

just as a little background i grew up in southern colorado, so southwestern, authentic and regional mexican food is a HUGE staple in my household.

this mornings recipe: pork green chili.

ingredients:
3-4 lbs pork roast (though because youre searing and slow cooking any cut of pork will do, ive used cheap chops and they turn out just as well)
4 tablespoons olive oil
7 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (i just make my own with bulion, much cheaper)
13 cups water
1 large yellow sweet onion
1 head garlic
3 anaheim chilies
3 medium tomatillos
4 serrano chilies
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
4-6 roasted peeled and chopped new mexico green chilis (or substitute 1 16 oz bag frozen new mexico hot green chilis if fresh isnt available, roasted peeled and chopped or 6 cans 4 1/2 oz green chilis all will work, i prefer fresh when in season or bagged)
1 tablespoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup flour

cooking instructions:
sear pork in 2 tablespoons olive oil. add 4 cans chicken broth and 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, and simmer until pork falls apart (aprox 3-5 hours).

while that is simmering chop onion, garlic, and anaheims. Saute in 2 Tablespoons olive oil. Chop tomatillos, serranos, and stewed tomatoes. puree 3 (or half the 16 oz bag) chopped green chilis. set all aside.

when pork is done simmering, shred, then add back to simmering pot

add all ingredients except flour and 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least one hour.

nn a separate container mix 2 cups water and 1 cup flour, shake well (i use an old water bottle or a gatorade bottle, shake it at least 100 times vigorously).aAdd mixture to chili slowly to achieve desired thickness. let simmer another 15 minutes then let set at least 30 more.

simple easy delicious green chili, use it as gravy, to smother on burritos, eat with chips or whatever youre little heart desires. keep in mind this particular recipe will make about 4 quarts, enough to freeze, give away or what have you.

its surprisingly easy to make and make well, if anything its time consuming if you want the best results.for this i use 1 6 inch sanku knife, a blender, large stainless pot, 1 12 inch stainless pan.

Back