A Collection of Mexican Food Basic Recipes

Here is a great salsa video in English. Really explains and shows some key points on how to make great salsa.

Carnitas on top of scrambled eggs with chorizo is the shit.

That's god's truth.

Making huevos rancheros for breakfast tomorrow.

Props for featuring Rick Bayless, PhD, undoubtedly the greatest source of Mexican culinary knowledge and technique in the world. Yes, IN THE WORLD. Including Mexico. Not bad for a white guy from Oklahoma.

Yea I've learned a lot from Rick Bayless's cook book. His tortilla recipe seems to match all the authentic Mexican recipes I can find on how to cook a flower tortilla. Pork fat always pops up in the recipe whenever I find website that has authentic Mexican food.

I made some of his Chorizo and it turned out very good. A little sweet for me, but very good.

Excellent thread.

Thanks, I think these recipes are all pretty good. It took a long time to weed out the recipes that have been watered down. The rice video on here is the only one that isn't perfect.

I made the Tomato Salsa in the English version today and it turned out great. The only thing I changed was I didn't add an avacado, and I chopped the cilantro and then added it to the blended sauce because I wanted the sauce to stay red.

I've been figuring out Mexican food and have put together a collection of videos that go over some of the more common foods. The basics. These video's are all pretty legit, it's not just a collection recipes from allrecipes.com that are generic. My favorite videos are of the Avocado and Salsa and homemade tortilla's. Very quality. I didn't add this to Pics and Multi. because it's not about the video's really. It's about Mexican Food. The video's aren't interesting to watch for entertainment and don't belong in the P&M. This thread is mainly to show people who don't live in the Southwest how to make some decent Mexican Food. If you live in Cali, Arizona, or Texas, this isn't really for you. It's for people like me who live in the midwest or anywhere real Mexican food is non-existent, I never knew some of this stuff even existed until I went to California. Most of the ingredients can be easily bought at Walmart. Best to make your own Pork fat though.

Homemade Pork fat seems to be the secret of re-fried beans and Tortillas.

Recipes Shown
Avocado Verde Sauce
Re-fried Beans
Salsa
Mexican Rice
Homemade Tortilla/Quesadilla
Carne asada

Avocado Verde Sauce

Salsa Roja de Tomates (Edit-Forgot this is in Spanish, but you can figure most of it out. I don't know what type of oil he uses because I don't speak Spanish, I'm guessing vegetable oil. English salsa video on bottom)

How to make Great Flower Tortillas (PORK FAT!)

How to render that pork fat (Don't worry to much about using back fat, which you can get pretty at any meat market/butcher if you ask for it. And Btw homemade pork fat is actually much healthier than most oils like vegetable or corn oil. Animal fats are much healthier than people believe)

Mexican Rice (Instead of Peas regular onions and peppers such as Jalapeno's or Serrano's could be added, whatever you want, I personally would not add Peas)

Beans (It's in Spanish but you can figure it out. Basically wash and take out rocks, let soak overnight or for around 4 hours. I'd use pork fat instead of whatever oil he used. Cook until beans are soft. Around 1-2 hours)

Refried Beans. Use beans from the above video to fry. This video is in English

Carne Asada (And how a pretty decent Taco actually looks.) Often taco's are served topped only with onion and cilantro, not the lettuce tomato and cheddar cheese we are all used to. I haven't actually tried this recipe, it's just an example. There are a MILLION Carne Asada recipes, find one you like.

English Salsa Video-

Anyone got any great Mexican recipes, like Carnita recipe's or such?

This looks great thank you for posting a normal mayberry thread. I miss the old mayberry

Cint i like your style, anymore recipes?

fondo.php

I would toss her salad too. :p

Anyone from California/Arizona/Texas know how to make the red sauce that is served at many of the fast food Restaurants? Usually you get a red sauce and a green sauce. The red sauce I've made tastes to sweet and doesn't have the same consistency. Anybody know how to make it? Verde sauce I've pretty much mastered, but the red sauce I have not quite figured out.

Here is an example at 9:30

I'd recommend watching a bit before that, because what they make in video looks pretty amazing.

I host a Cinco De Mayo party every year and cook for about 30 people. I get good reviews, but to be honest it's probably not very authentic. I do shop at the mexican market for it, but most of what I serve is probably pretty American-ized. Goes over well with the gringo crowd, but I might have to try my hand at some more authentic, homemade type stuff this year.

Good thread, thanks.

This always gets devoured when I serve it and it's very simple and fresh. I know people make this in a variety of ways this is just how my Grandmother told me

Pico de Gallo

Pico%20De%20Gallo%204.jpg

I have never actually counted how many of each veggie needs to go in. It's a matter of taste and heat preference but you need

Tomatoes (I use a few roma tomatoes for the juice and regular tomatoes for bulk)
Onion (yellow or white)
Jalapenos (I don't clean the seeds out as I like the heat - I feel like the ones with wrinkles are hotter)
Cilantro
Lemon Juice (usually just need the juice of one lemon unless making a lot)
Salt to taste

Hand chop everything and mix in a bowl (I don't think it tastes the same if a food processor is used)

I usually use maybe 4-5 tomatoes, 1 or 1 and a half medium to large onions, 2 bunches of cilantro, 2-3 jalapenos, 1-2 lemons. Just an estimate. Let it sit and taste it until you like the balance. Tastes better after settling in fridge for a few hours. Serve with tortilla chips or tostada's.

Example of what usually turns out to be a spicier pepper based on looks

Hot-Jalapeno-Peppers-1007199.jpg

Hey great post, thanks for contributing. Fresh Pico de Gallo is amazing.

I'm going to post this question again, so people can see it-

Anyone from California/Arizona/Texas know how to make the red sauce that is served at many of the fast food Restaurants? Usually you get a red sauce and a green sauce. The red sauce I've made tastes to sweet and doesn't have the same consistency. Anybody know how to make it? Verde sauce I've pretty much mastered, but the red sauce I have not quite figured out.

This always gets devoured when I serve it and it's very simple and fresh. I know people make this in a variety of ways this is just how my Grandmother told me

Pico de Gallo

Pico%20De%20Gallo%204.jpg

I have never actually counted how many of each veggie needs to go in. It's a matter of taste and heat preference but you need

Tomatoes (I use a few roma tomatoes for the juice and regular tomatoes for bulk)
Onion (yellow or white)
Jalapenos (I don't clean the seeds out as I like the heat - I feel like the ones with wrinkles are hotter)
Cilantro
Lemon Juice (usually just need the juice of one lemon unless making a lot)
Salt to taste

Hand chop everything and mix in a bowl (I don't think it tastes the same if a food processor is used)

I usually use maybe 4-5 tomatoes, 1 or 1 and a half medium to large onions, 2 bunches of cilantro, 2-3 jalapenos, 1-2 lemons. Just an estimate. Let it sit and taste it until you like the balance. Tastes better after settling in fridge for a few hours. Serve with tortilla chips or tostada's.

Example of what usually turns out to be a spicier pepper based on looks

Hot-Jalapeno-Peppers-1007199.jpg

Just a little heads up, you can remove the seeds and still keep the heat. The membrane(white fleshy part) of the pepper is what is really hot. Next time you have a jalapeno, slice it down the middle, move the seeds out the way and scoop out some of that membrane and try some.

Hey great post, thanks for contributing. Fresh Pico de Gallo is amazing.

I'm going to post this question again, so people can see it-

I think my mom does the same thing as she would for salsa verde but uses tomatoes instead of tomatillos for a red salsa.

Put tomatoes, serrano and arbol (can be just one of those or a combination of both) peppers in water and bring to a boil until soft. Instead of boiling the tomatoes you can roast them on a pan (peppers too).

Blend with half an onion or less and salt (add some water from the first step).

Mix chopped cilantro into salsa after blending.

Last edited:
Making huevos rancheros for breakfast tomorrow.

huevos-rancheros.jpg

Props for featuring Rick Bayless, PhD, undoubtedly the greatest source of Mexican culinary knowledge and technique in the world. Yes, IN THE WORLD. Including Mexico. Not bad for a white guy from Oklahoma.

man I love eating that for breakfast

Does anyone know any good mexican dishes in a slow cooker? Preferably with beef or chicken? thanks.

Back