A Collection of Mexican Food Basic Recipes

Thunderflash500

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been figuring out Mexican food and have put together a collection of videos that go over some of the more common foods. The basics. These video's are all pretty legit, it's not just a collection recipes from allrecipes.com that are generic. My favorite videos are of the Avocado and Salsa and homemade tortilla's. Very quality. I didn't add this to Pics and Multi. because it's not about the video's really. It's about Mexican Food. The video's aren't interesting to watch for entertainment and don't belong in the P&M. This thread is mainly to show people who don't live in the Southwest how to make some decent Mexican Food. If you live in Cali, Arizona, or Texas, this isn't really for you. It's for people like me who live in the midwest or anywhere real Mexican food is non-existent, I never knew some of this stuff even existed until I went to California. Most of the ingredients can be easily bought at Walmart. Best to make your own Pork fat though.

Homemade Pork fat seems to be the secret of re-fried beans and Tortillas.

Recipes Shown
Avocado Verde Sauce
Re-fried Beans
Salsa
Mexican Rice
Homemade Tortilla/Quesadilla
Carne asada

Avocado Verde Sauce

Salsa Roja de Tomates (Edit-Forgot this is in Spanish, but you can figure most of it out. I don't know what type of oil he uses because I don't speak Spanish, I'm guessing vegetable oil. English salsa video on bottom)

How to make Great Flower Tortillas (PORK FAT!)

How to render that pork fat (Don't worry to much about using back fat, which you can get pretty at any meat market/butcher if you ask for it. And Btw homemade pork fat is actually much healthier than most oils like vegetable or corn oil. Animal fats are much healthier than people believe)

Mexican Rice (Instead of Peas regular onions and peppers such as Jalapeno's or Serrano's could be added, whatever you want, I personally would not add Peas)

Beans (It's in Spanish but you can figure it out. Basically wash and take out rocks, let soak overnight or for around 4 hours. I'd use pork fat instead of whatever oil he used. Cook until beans are soft. Around 1-2 hours)

Refried Beans. Use beans from the above video to fry. This video is in English

Carne Asada (And how a pretty decent Taco actually looks.) Often taco's are served topped only with onion and cilantro, not the lettuce tomato and cheddar cheese we are all used to. I haven't actually tried this recipe, it's just an example. There are a MILLION Carne Asada recipes, find one you like.

English Salsa Video-

Anyone got any great Mexican recipes, like Carnita recipe's or such?

Last edited:
always gotta squeeze lime juice onto the carne asada ....i just ate some last night...so bueno

Nice, I got a haircut today and was talking to the chick about cooking and before I left she said "Always add lemon, it makes everything better." And if you watch the salsa video's he uses a ton of lime. Funny how much I've noticed lime lately.

salt too...and if it gets a little too salty, throw sugar on it to balance it

good lord, my toilet will never be the same.

i made chilli the other day, it was pretty good, i might make it again tomorrow

Making huevos rancheros for breakfast tomorrow.

huevos-rancheros.jpg

Props for featuring Rick Bayless, PhD, undoubtedly the greatest source of Mexican culinary knowledge and technique in the world. Yes, IN THE WORLD. Including Mexico. Not bad for a white guy from Oklahoma.

You guys are mentally ill to even be discussing this on an MMA forum.

good thing this is the Mayberry section....

salt too...and if it gets a little too salty, throw sugar on it to balance it
This really doesnt do anything. Sugar and salt dont act to counter balance each other at all. They are two distinct zones on a single tongue, you will pick up the sugar and salt. Its a common misconception and heaven forbid you do this in baking, youll be in a heap of mess.

This really doesnt do anything. Sugar and salt dont act to counter balance each other at all. They are two distinct zones on a single tongue, you will pick up the sugar and salt. Its a common misconception and heaven forbid you do this in baking, youll be in a heap of mess.

wait...ive confused myself...haha...this is for beef curry stew....i digress...i cooked two many things last night lol

If anyone has any questions about Mexican cuisine please ask Ill help out. I cook like a mugg. So Mexican rice, and that video thats posted are two completely different things. Also your arroz Mexicano shouldnt be mushy at all so here goes a great recipes.

What you need:
Iron Skillet
rice
one can of tomato sauce (not paste, not pasta sauce, they are little chubby cans, small little guys. I use cheap stuff for Mexican food dont go bouechy it never works)
Corn oil
Knorr powdered chicken stock, not the cubes the powder. It comes in a brown jar
Garlic if prefered
Onion if prefered
Corn if prefered

Recipe: (Keep in mind I eye ball everything, Ive cooked for a long time)
1.Heat your iron skillet on stove
2.Add about 2tbs of oil
3.add two-five of the chubby kool-aid scoops of rice. I think this is about a cup. Okay so really I eyeball and when it looks like I have enough, I stop. usually about 1/4" off the bottom of the skillet.
4.Stir, stir some more stir some more stir some more cook until your your rice is white
5.add onion and garlic stir cook for a minute
6.add can of tomato sauce, it will splatter your stove will get messy you got no choice
7.Add water until it covers the rice by about 1/2 inch and 1-2 tbs of knorr and add about 1/2c corn.
8.Taste if it is slightly salty your good if not add a little at a time until the H2O is slightly salty
9.Bring this to a roiling simmer
10.When the water is all but gone just a little bit covering the rice turn down heat to between 2-4 and cover the rice leaving just a slight opening for evaporation.
11.When it looks like all the water is gone (there should be little pits in the rice) cover and turn heat to one.
12.Let it just sit the rice will cook itself
13.About 15 minutes later done.

I know this is detailed but this is a great recipe. Mine comes out every time. Use this and tell me what you think.

wait...ive confused myself...haha...this is for beef curry stew....i digress...i cooked two many things last night lol

No worries I cook alot, like abnormally so. Ive cooked in restaurants too and friends have asked me to help them with recipes and such. Im a huge food geek.

If anyone has any questions about Mexican cuisine please ask Ill help out. I cook like a mugg. So Mexican rice, and that video thats posted are two completely different things. Also your arroz Mexicano shouldnt be mushy at all so here goes a great recipes.

What you need:
Iron Skillet
rice
one can of tomato sauce (not paste, not pasta sauce, they are little chubby cans, small little guys. I use cheap stuff for Mexican food dont go bouechy it never works)
Corn oil
Knorr powdered chicken stock, not the cubes the powder. It comes in a brown jar
Garlic if prefered
Onion if prefered
Corn if prefered

Recipe: (Keep in mind I eye ball everything, Ive cooked for a long time)
1.Heat your iron skillet on stove
2.Add about 2tbs of oil
3.add two-five of the chubby kool-aid scoops of rice. I think this is about a cup. Okay so really I eyeball and when it looks like I have enough, I stop. usually about 1/4" off the bottom of the skillet.
4.Stir, stir some more stir some more stir some more cook until your your rice is white
5.add onion and garlic stir cook for a minute
6.add can of tomato sauce, it will splatter your stove will get messy you got no choice
7.Add water until it covers the rice by about 1/2 inch and 1-2 tbs of knorr and add about 1/2c corn.
8.Taste if it is slightly salty your good if not add a little at a time until the H2O is slightly salty
9.Bring this to a roiling simmer
10.When the water is all but gone just a little bit covering the rice turn down heat to between 2-4 and cover the rice leaving just a slight opening for evaporation.
11.When it looks like all the water is gone (there should be little pits in the rice) cover and turn heat to one.
12.Let it just sit the rice will cook itself
13.About 15 minutes later done.

I know this is detailed but this is a great recipe. Mine comes out every time. Use this and tell me what you think.

I've cooked rice extremely similar to this and it turned out great. This looks like a great recipe. I admit I got a little lazy finding a rice video. I guess I care least about rice, and it showed. Maybe I'll look for a better video later.

Last edited:
No worries I cook alot, like abnormally so. Ive cooked in restaurants too and friends have asked me to help them with recipes and such. Im a huge food geek.

im starting to love to cook ...not a huge food geek but i got some interest...any mexican dish is excellent

Back