A case for making lightweight 160lbs.

standupsprawl

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
i think the weightclasses in MMA are perfect and I agree with Dana too many weightclasses makes things too much like boxing it looks its mystique a bit... but with that said I’ve noticed a lot of guys are in the middle and have big trouble making 155. Cowboy, dos anjos, Diego Sanchez, Nate Diaz... even Connor has said the weight cut is really tough to 155.. and I mean Khabib basically has to kill himself to get down to it. It also seems the guys that have gone up to 170 from 155 are too under sized. Take a moment and think about this case. 160 could make for better weight cuts to lightweight. Pride was 160.

How about making 165 and moving WW to 175.

If you just move LW to 160 you add the same issue you are describing except instead of between LW and WW it'll be between FW and LW.

Think the weight of the class is irrelevant, no matter what weight you make it most fighters will cut the max they can. If it was 160 instead of 155 some smaller 170 guys would try to kill themselves to try and make 160, and the smaller 155s would be forced to do the same to make 45.

I don't think the Association Of Boxing Commissions will make anymore changes
in regards to weight classes since they have 13 official weight classes and promote
1 unofficial weight class for the Women (Atomweight-105 lbs).

Back