A blackbelt came to our class today

VTJas81

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some brazilian guy which I forgot his name. I'll find out soon tho and look him up. Anyways I don't know if he was going easy or was tired or just had surgery but he wasn't very good at all. I rolled with him, as well as several others and he looked more like a high blue/purple level. When I rolled with him he said he was tired but so was I. Im kind of skeptical of him, he should effortlessly toss us around so I thought. He was about 160 pounds, Im about 156. I was all excited to see how a blackbelt roll but now Im kind of disillusioned with BJJ. I'll try to look him up and confirm if he is a blackbelt or not. I don't want to say his name tho when I do find out.

Give us a name otherwise he could just be some dude that got a belt off a website and has studied some instructionals, like Gene Simco or something... :wink:

spend vacation in NYC, and train with our crew at Renzo's there are an avewrage of 5 black belts teaching or attending each class at Renzo's per day and they are amazing. I run two-fiddy and out weigh some of them by nearly 100lbs (don't know if they use kilos in VA) and they throw me around like a rag doll. (I am a blue belt)

Ok i just found out his name. I am reluctant to say his first name but his last name is Garcez. I couldn't find him at all on bjj.org or the web. But my instructor says he is a blackbelt. my instructor wanted him to teach at this school while he teaches at another. Now Im reaaaaal skeptical.

if he was a real black belt then he is injured or taking it easy.

first black belt i rolled i thought the same thing..... the purples beat me up more than him..... so i thought he wasnt that much better than the purples..... then i saw him tool the purples in under a minute.... so i realized he was taking it easy becuae at that time i was only a two stripe white.

recoil said:
if he was a real black belt then he is injured or taking it easy.

first black belt i rolled i thought the same thing..... the purples beat me up more than him..... so i thought he wasnt that much better than the purples..... then i saw him tool the purples in under a minute.... so i realized he was taking it easy becuae at that time i was only a two stripe white.

true but I can see his face when he grapples. Its not one of a relaxed person just playing around. When he tried to sweep me I kept my base. When he tried to sidemount me I rolled him into his guard. When he tried to submit me I easily pulled out. A true blackbelt should easily sweep me like it felt effortlessly to him. Who knows he might tool us next time but the fact is I can't find his name anywhere.

I think you can really feel the difference between solid black belts and even some really good brown belts. When I'm rolling with a lot of higher belts, I feel <i>thrown</i> around. But whenever I roll with our instructor (a black belt under Mamazinho/Carlos Jr.) it's more like pure weightlessness, like the laws of gravity are constantly working against me.

wOg said:
I think you can really feel the difference between solid black belts and even some really good brown belts. When I'm rolling with a lot of higher belts, I feel <i>thrown</i> around. But whenever I roll with our instructor (a black belt under Mamazinho/Carlos Jr.) it's more like pure weightlessness, like the laws of gravity are constantly working against me.

I'm sure this feeling is amplified by training with a gi, because there are more options for sweeps and what not. I've never trained with a gi, about to this weekend though.

But even so, one of my grappling instructors, Mark Raposo, his jiu-jitsu is absolutely sick. I don't know what level he's at, but his guard game is so good. When I rolled with him, if you had asked me how much he weighed, I would have guessed at least 230. Come to find out, he fights at about 180, and in Massachusetts, you weigh in the day of the fight. So the weight cutting isn't as severe as other MMA events.

For real, I can hang in there with purple-belt level guys, but when I roll with Mark, I start off in his guard, and in no more than 15 seconds I am on my back and mounted. I wrestle, so I'm usually pretty difficult to sweep. I post one way when he tries to sweep, only to find myself being carried by his legs, and flipped over to another side. It's like I'm floating; I can't even get myself on the ground.

It's moments like that that make me realize why I'm so obsessed with this sport and making myself better.

VTJas81 said:
Some brazilian guy which I forgot his name. I'll find out soon tho and look him up. Anyways I don't know if he was going easy or was tired or just had surgery but he wasn't very good at all. I rolled with him, as well as several others and he looked more like a high blue/purple level. When I rolled with him he said he was tired but so was I. Im kind of skeptical of him, he should effortlessly toss us around so I thought. He was about 160 pounds, Im about 156. I was all excited to see how a blackbelt roll but now Im kind of disillusioned with BJJ. I'll try to look him up and confirm if he is a blackbelt or not. I don't want to say his name tho when I do find out.

I've rolled with quite a few brown and black belts after getting my blue belt and I will tell you my experience was that of fighting for my life. Normally the really good guys will setup the submissions and see if you understand basic escapes for them.

If not I'm tapping shortly after. The black belts that I have rolled with have gotten with very subtle techniques(not your standard Armbar, Triangle or Omoplata) and their sweep and attacks never stop.. My instructor will roll with like 25 guys in a row and submit them all..no joke!! As a white belt he actually let me sink a clock choke and somehow he got out and submitted me with some weird ass shoulder lock.

It's very strange you never really get your base against advanced guys with good technique. One brown belt I have rolled against named Marcos which I must outweight by like 25 kilos but everything he does destroys my base or hurts like an MFer.

I am not sure what was going on with the black belt you rolled with but from my experience the brown and black belts I have seen deserved their belts.

My .02,
TMG

I roll with a blackbelt at my gym once in a while. I love it because he has something in mind that he wants me to work on when he comes to roll with me. I'm going to wrestle with him tommorow night as a matter of fact. He always checks out some students and sees what to help improve their game with.

There are 2 blackbelts and a brown at my gym. They are incredible grapplers.

VTJas81 said:
Ok i just found out his name. I am reluctant to say his first name but his last name is Garcez. I couldn't find him at all on bjj.org or the web. But my instructor says he is a blackbelt. my instructor wanted him to teach at this school while he teaches at another. Now Im reaaaaal skeptical.

OUT THIS IMPOSTOR IMMEDIATELY!
Seriously, though, in his defense, he may have just been sick or injured or whatever. If he's Brazilian, he may very well be legit. I suppose eventually you'll find out who he trained under, for how many years, and who ultimately gave him his black. There have to be a bunch of black belts in Brazil as we speak who are legit but just aren't as public as some of the more well-known guys (i.e. people on BJJ.org).

If his skills really aren't there, it will become more and more apparent as he rolls more and more with you guys.

I rolled with a brown belt for a free class (plan on starting soon, have to get my arm fixed first...) He was easier to roll with than most of the other people in the class, thing was, I *knew* he was being easy on me. When I was trying to pass his guard, he'd let his hips get pushed down, and when I forgot to put my arm on his leg to avoid the triangle, he'd move up to go for it, but didn't just slap me into the sub. He'd give me time to react and think and to actually realize the things I was doing wrong.

Give him a chance IMO. I find that most BBs don't open up a can of whoops ass on every one they see. They tend to just see where you're at, slap on the sub if it's wide open but are usually content to give out positions like candy jsut to see what you know and are made of. As the weeks go by and they see you more and more, suddenly something will click and they WILL give you the hiding of your life (it could be them thinking "it's your time to see what higher levels can do" or they could jsut be ina bad mood that day).

But in the end, what the hell do you have to lose? You train with him and get someone of a reasonable level to learn off or you piss and moan and say "He ain't a black, I don't wnana learn" but he turns out to be legit then you lose out. They way I see it, you can't lose.

kick him in the back hard and see if he brings his A game. u never know he might be very skilled and is going easy on the lower belts but he may just not be so legit u donnt know.

I live in Norway.....Norway still doesn't have a single native black-belt. One day a black belt entered the room, walking around shaking peoples hands and stuff, I was like:

"who's this guy??"
"Thats Saulo Ribeiro.."

that was pretty cool considering it was in little Norway way up north :p didn't roll with him though, I'm a newb.

Oh and he kept saying how tired he was as an excuse for his poor performance. I saw him roll with two other blue belts slightly smaller then him so they weren't huge or anything. And he also said he hasn't trained in a month making him sound rusty. :rolleyes:

I just rolled with my black belt instructor on Tuesday and he was just toying with me. He let me pass his open guard to side control, and he even let me take his back at one point, all to see how I

I doubt he was a real BJJ blackbelt. Even rusty BJJ BB can play guard with most blue belts without using energy or strength. I'm real curious as to this person's credentials. We have about four at my school and they toy with competition level brown belts. Bottom line, the guy that came to your school is suspect. Was it your first chance to roll with a BJJ BB? Roll with another and see if you get the same results.

hey maybe the guy was ill or injured?
was it a seminar?
did you pay dough for this?
maybe the guy was just fucking hurt but did the seminar because he needed the cash.
everyones allowed to have a bad day.

Back