A BJJ World Cup Style Competition

ADCC is a bit more balanced.

For ADCC, out of a total 158 medals (excluding the original ADCC Arabian side competition), 51 were won by non brazilians; out of 55 golds, 13 were won by non brazilians.

For the mundials at black belt, out of a total 579 medals, i think only 15 have been won by non brazilians; out of 150 golds, 2 have been won by non brazilians.

Interesting stats BUT how many grapplers are from Brazil versus from outside Brazil?

Then we can get true %'s and make some assumptions.

If you have 20 people per weight but 17 of 20 are Brazilian they have a 17 in 20 chance to have a titlist in that weight class assuming all grapplers in that weight have identical skill levels.

Is Roger naturalized? England would immediately shoot up to the top.

It would be similar to soccer - brazilians would start becoming naturalized and competing for other nations. Germany, Mexico, Portugal, Japan and a few other countries had brazilians playing in the team in this years world cup.

I'm brazilian. I think the first post had a pretty good team. I would like to see Cavaca competing.

Sounds like a very interesting competition. As Cachimbo said, the chance of brazilians naturalizing themselves to play for other nations would be big.

You know what, the athletes should wear gis with their national or federation colors, just like in the world cup. Although Japan, England, and a possible New Zealand team would be better in the deal, getting to wear blue, white, and black instead of having to wear a KIMONO CANARINHO...

I don't think this (hypothetical) competition is half as close as you guys do. Right now there are at best three non-brazilians who have a legitimate shot at beating the top guys in there weight class(JT Torres(who's definitely the closest), Rafael Lovato, and Bill Cooper). But none of those guys are favorites, and even if they were there are still 5 weight classes with no real non brazilian challenger.

Ok my Team USA:

Ultra Heavy:
Super Heavy:
Heavy: Rafael Lovato Jr. (Team Captain)
Medium Heavy:
Middle: Bill Cooper
Light: JT Torres
Feather: Ryan Hall
Light Feather:
Rooster:

I really don't know that much more about guys in other weight classes. I wonder if Jeff Glover could make Light Feather?

Is Roger naturalized? England would immediately shoot up to the top.

It would be similar to soccer - brazilians would start becoming naturalized and competing for other nations. Germany, Mexico, Portugal, Japan and a few other countries had brazilians playing in the team in this years world cup.

I'm brazilian. I think the first post had a pretty good team. I would like to see Cavaca competing

Mexico does not has Brazilians playing Giovanni Dos Santos is a born Mexican, his father is naturalized, Gio was born and grew up in Mexico, and his football was made in Spain where he joined at 13 years old.

From the side of Germany, Cacau its indeed Brazilian but his football is German, almost his entire professional life has been in the Bundesliga. Wouldn't know about the others.

I don't think they will naturalize, because there are already good grappling countries like Russia and central Asia, plus the far east. I can see Cuba doing great too, they have some vicious grapplers there.

There would be a massive exodus of athletes from Judo to BJJ at the olympic level.

The learning curve of a good newaza judoka to BJJ is not that big, you have for example the likes of Yoshida subbing Royce for example, and you have great ground technicians like Kashiwazaki.

In my opinion Brazil would have a hard time keeping dominance, unless the Brazilian government starts pouring some crazy billions into BJJ like Japan did to Judo to keep a certain degree of dominance.

I don't give Brazilian dominion much time, the fact is that more people in the world doing BJJ are brazilians and they also compete the most, its logical that they win the most, its just like Russia and sport Sambo, if sport Sambo became world event, then the Japanese, Koreans, Mongolians and Cubans would displace Russians a lot.

Rooster: Spencer Hewitt
Light-Feather: Marc Walder
Feather: Kevin Chan or Steve Campbell or Nick Brooks or Tom Barlow
Light: Michael Russell
Middle: Jude Samuel
Middle-Heavy: Luke Costello
Heavy: Kevin Webb
Super-Heavy: Neil Owen or Nicolai Holt
Ultra-Heavy: Simon Small

I don't think Vernon can make middle, and I'd say Luke had the better competition game. Marc can make Light Feather, so I have him down there at the moment. Don't know how good Steve is, but he has some impressive results, so I'll put those two up there, although again, in a competition setting, I'd say Tom has to have a shout. Nick also, although until we see all those guys compete in the same division, who knows. @_@

That's my adapted version.

It may seem like a conspiracy that they're all Barra, but, uh, hey. Just how things worked out. ^_^

I don't think this (hypothetical) competition is half as close as you guys do. Right now there are at best three non-brazilians who have a legitimate shot at beating the top guys in there weight class(JT Torres(who's definitely the closest), Rafael Lovato, and Bill Cooper). But none of those guys are favorites, and even if they were there are still 5 weight classes with no real non brazilian challenger.

I dunno I think countries like Japan might have some good grapplers, we have seen in some cases good judo newaza guys do well in gi comps and now they are crosstrained in BJJ too. Again, it just takes one guy in a weight to rise up in a match to eliminate the favorite.

The favorite is such for a reason but I doubt that in every case the favorite wins every weight in Judo, wrestling and even BJJ comps. Again factor in that there would be just one Brazilian and you could see how a few weight classes might be in dispute.

Rooster: Spencer Hewitt
Light-Feather: Marc Walder
Feather: Kevin Chan or Steve Campbell or Nick Brooks or Tom Barlow
Light: Michael Russell
Middle: Jude Samuel
Middle-Heavy: Luke Costello
Heavy: Kevin Webb
Super-Heavy: Neil Owen or Nicolai Holt
Ultra-Heavy: Simon Small

I don't think Vernon can make middle, and I'd say Luke had the better competition game. Marc can make Light Feather, so I have him down there at the moment. Don't know how good Steve is, but he has some impressive results, so I'll put those two up there, although again, in a competition setting, I'd say Tom has to have a shout. Nick also, although until we see all those guys compete in the same division, who knows. @_@

That's my adapted version.

It may seem like a conspiracy that they're all Barra, but, uh, hey. Just how things worked out. ^_^

i'd still put winnie and or bobby in there somewhere, maybe winnie at ultra heavy.

In my opinion Brazil would have a hard time keeping dominance, unless the Brazilian government starts pouring some crazy billions into BJJ like Japan did to Judo to keep a certain degree of dominance.

PFFFFFFFF HEUAHSUAHEUHSUAHEUAHSUAHEUAHSAUEHUSHAHUAHEU
That's harsh, man! We're doomed if it comes to governmental help... I don't think even soccer gets proper help. Just look at the olympics.

Man, Brazil sucks. At least we're supposed to win the 2014 world cup, since Nike is overdue to have a winning team.

i'd still put winnie and or bobby in there somewhere, maybe winnie at ultra heavy.

I'm just not allowing them because I consider them Judoka first and foremost. Not a slight on their ability, and you could probably put them in at every weight class above Heavy and they'd do more than fine, but...just my preferences.

No disrespect to them at all, I know they'd kick my ass seven ways from Sunday. Or something.

Take care,

Oli

PFFFFFFFF HEUAHSUAHEUHSUAHEUAHSUAHEUAHSAUEHUSHAHUAHEU
That's harsh, man! We're doomed if it comes to governmental help... I don't think even soccer gets proper help. Just look at the olympics.

Man, Brazil sucks. At least we're supposed to win the 2014 world cup, since Nike is overdue to have a winning team.

Its not harsh, BJJ is still a small sport when compared to freestyle and Judo worldwide, sure its popular in Brazil and the USA (anything popular in the USA is popular everywhere).

The reason why Japan still has a semi-dominance in Judo is because the country is rich, and because they suck at most Olympic sports. They literally spend billions into keeping a Judo dominance and they still can't own the sport.

BJJ is still something that its mainly practiced by the wealthy and middle class in Brazil a country which despite big growth has still a lot of poor people who can't really afford to train and finance themselves, BJJ its still a sport where there are no scholarships, no internationall recognized organizations and not Olympic which limits the possibilites of people trying to climb the ladder. People who do BJJ do on their own purse.

Not only that but BJJ its not a "rare" sport like Judo was on its days, there are great grapplers outside BJJ, who could jump into BJJ with not much effort or who could create BJJ training programs.

It would be costly to adapt but believe me i have been around olympic trainers for a long time, they can adapt and fast.

Brazil could still be favorite and still don't win, to win you need to go through 6-8 guys which are almost as good as you, and you need to win against them all. Its hard.

Soccer is another thing, because its a sport played by pretty much the whole Brazilian community and anyone with talent is quickly taken and nurtured in Europe high performance enviroment. Again how many Brazilian players in the World Cup actually play in Brazil?

Its not harsh, BJJ is still a small sport when compared to freestyle and Judo worldwide, sure its popular in Brazil and the USA (anything popular in the USA is popular everywhere).

The reason why Japan still has a semi-dominance in Judo is because the country is rich, and because they suck at most Olympic sports. They literally spend billions into keeping a Judo dominance and they still can't own the sport.

BJJ is still something that its mainly practiced by the wealthy and middle class in Brazil a country which despite big growth has still a lot of poor people who can't really afford to train and finance themselves, BJJ its still a sport where there are no scholarships, no internationall recognized organizations and not Olympic which limits the possibilites of people trying to climb the ladder. People who do BJJ do on their own purse.

Not only that but BJJ its not a "rare" sport like Judo was on its days, there are great grapplers outside BJJ, who could jump into BJJ with not much effort or who could create BJJ training programs.

It would be costly to adapt but believe me i have been around olympic trainers for a long time, they can adapt and fast.

Brazil could still be favorite and still don't win, to win you need to go through 6-8 guys which are almost as good as you, and you need to win against them all. Its hard.

Soccer is another thing, because its a sport played by pretty much the whole Brazilian community and anyone with talent is quickly taken and nurtured in Europe high performance enviroment. Again how many Brazilian players in the World Cup actually play in Brazil?

Once again, you nailed it. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said it was harsh, because if it comes down to investment, governmental help, and interest from sponsors, Brazil is screwed big time in a possible BJJ world event. The olympics is a great example of how sport lacks the needed support, and even proper organization. Brazil could do a lot better, but it just doesn't because no one cares, and as it's the case with BJJ, people often have to train from their own purses. Which is why I don't even bother watching the olympics, since I know we never win anything, but yet we have to lose a couple of digits by blowing fireworks whenever someone gets a bronze medal, while the real countries fight for the gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back