A BJJ World Cup Style Competition

Galahad

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was just thinking how cool it would be if there was a world cup style competition where guys from the same nation would be on a team and compete against other teams. I'm sure as of right now only a few countries (I know Brazil, US, Japan) could field teams that would actually be competitive, and I'm sure Brazil would still dominate, but it is fun to think about it happening.

Here's my Brazil team:

Ultra Heavy: Cyborg Abreu
Super Heavy: Roger Gracie (team captain)
Heavy: Xande Ribeiro
Medium Heavy: Romulo Barral
Middle: Marcelo Garcia (vice captain)
Light: Michael Langhi
Feather: Mendes based on current performance, but I'd love to see Cobrinha as well
Light Feather: Samuel Braga
Rooster: Caio Terra

edit: also Braulio would definitely be in there, but I couldn't remember what weight class he competed in at the moment.

man oh man...pretty sure they'd be bringing home the gold every time with a team like that

Last edited:
Brazil would always win, what's the point.

Haven't only around two or three non Brazilians won Mundials ever? So with the rest of the world trying to catch up individually and Brazilians dominating like that, there is no need to create a team style. Brazilians would still win:icon_neut

Having a club-based team competitions in your local area with the other BJJ schools like wrestling meets would be interesting. There would be a set season for competition. It would provide you with more matches and keep you competitive in between the long stretches for tournaments. Also wouldnt cost as much I hope. :icon_lol: And most of all it means more when your win is also helps contribute to your team :icon_chee

Yes I just wanna recapture that high school wrestling feeling :icon_chee

Haven't only around two or three non Brazilians won Mundials ever? So with the rest of the world trying to catch up individually and Brazilians dominating like that, there is no need to create a team style. Brazilians would still win:icon_neut

Having a club-based team competitions in your local area with the other BJJ schools like wrestling meets would be interesting. There would be a set season for competition. It would provide you with more matches and keep you competitive in between the long stretches for tournaments. Also wouldnt cost as much I hope. :icon_lol: And most of all it means more when your win is also helps contribute to your team :icon_chee

Yes I just wanna recapture that high school wrestling feeling :icon_chee

Yeah and Japan USED to dominate Oly Judo. Over time other nations catch up.

Also you would INCREASE the number of winners from other nations..why?

Well instead of a dozen brazilians being in your weight class, there is just one.

Actually that would be a cool ass idea.

And for everyone taking my idea too seriously, it's more like a thought experiment where you can make your dream team, no need to take this too seriously, just having some fun.

You know what, that is a great idea Legend Killer. I wonder if anyone in NYC has considered doing something like that. That would be awesome.

Well instead of a dozen brazilians being in your weight class, there is just one.

America is catching up very fast, but it will still be a LONG time before America could beat Brazil in a nation vs nation team match.

Well instead of a dozen brazilians being in your weight class, there is just one

Ah I did not think about it like that initially

Brazil would always win, what's the point.

And Japan always won the mundials and the first Olympics, before it became Olympic.

When a sport is established with a good international governing body and accepted in the Olympic it brings the attention of the whole world and they start training and perfecting the sport to the limit.

When and if BJJ ever managed to get unified and accepted as a legit international sport, i can see brazilians losing their control over it, of course it would take a while but not much.

Okay, in an attempt to make this more constructive...whichever country you are from, pick your team, weight by weight. If you only know one guy at the weight, fine, use him, but I'd be curious to see who people come up with for US, Japan, UK, France, maybe a few of the other larger nations.

Go for it!

And...

inb4AriBoldenEddieBravoBrandonQuick. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

You know what, that is a great idea Legend Killer. I wonder if anyone in NYC has considered doing something like that. That would be awesome.

Of course someone has....me! lol :icon_chee I would seriously love to see it happen. So many schools here! Where do you train Oak?

Okay, in an attempt to make this more constructive...whichever country you are from, pick your team, weight by weight. If you only know one guy at the weight, fine, use him, but I'd be curious to see who people come up with for US, Japan, UK, France, maybe a few of the other larger nations.

Oli you forgot to list your UK team....and don't be humble, we all know you belong on that list.

Okay...let's have a stab at it:

Rooster: Spencer Hewitt
Light-Feather:
Feather: Tom Barlow
Light: Michael Russell
Middle: Jude Samuel
Middle-Heavy: Luke Costello
Heavy: Kevin Webb
Super-Heavy: Nicolai Holt
Ultra-Heavy:

I'll think on the ones I missed, and update as I get ideas.

This is actually really hard, since a lot of our top level competitors here aren't actually from the UK. @_@

Take care,

Oli

[Honorable mentions to Winston Gordon and Bobby Rich, who might well make the team normally, but since they are national-level Judoka first and foremost, that seems a little unfair.]

ADCC is a bit more balanced.

For ADCC, out of a total 158 medals (excluding the original ADCC Arabian side competition), 51 were won by non brazilians; out of 55 golds, 13 were won by non brazilians.

For the mundials at black belt, out of a total 579 medals, i think only 15 have been won by non brazilians; out of 150 golds, 2 have been won by non brazilians.

oli, some of our weights would have a reasonable amount of choice.

Rooster: Spencer Hewitt
Light-Feather: Joezinho
Feather: Kevin Chan or Marc Walder or Nick Brooks or Steve Campbell or Adam Edwards
Light: Michael Russell
Middle: Jude Samuel or Vernon Ellis
Middle-Heavy: Luke Costello or Simon Hayes
Heavy: Kevin Webb or Ray Stevens or Roger Brooking or Dave Coles or Dickie Martin or Bobby Rich or Winston Gordon
Super-Heavy: Neil Owen
Ultra-Heavy:

Yeah I could see the brasileros dominating BUT again, in an open tourney format with one competitor per country anything can happen and you know everyone will gun for the Brazilians.

Also you may have some toss ups in some weights and in others you can have upsets, I dont think it would be as big a walk in the park as you may think.

9 weights you dont see 2 maybe 3 that are toss ups or flat out have another nations grappler as a favorite?

I dont know enough about this to comment but I am sure you guys have a better idea of who might be a favorite from a country other than Brazil.

Canada has Ari Bolden so don't discount that X factor.

Great idea, maybe FILA will do it one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back