A BJJ Fraud in North Carolina gets challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to jitz somebody to fuck them up. Someone might go to mess with his car or his home for laughs and get shot, and that's really no one's fault but their own.

Yeah, I believe all the guys that have either visited paredes dojo, or attempted to meet him there are all really good guys. None of them are mean spirited and really just wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery, or perhaps have a brush with an internet celebrity while they could. I really doubt anyone would do anything like that to begin with.

Stand your ground doesn't mean that you can shoot or assault someone because they speak to you. In North Carolina it also applies to your place of business, so technically visiting him at the dojo would fall under stand your ground.

The burden of proof is on the victim to prove that they were threatened and afraid of serious bodily injury (or sexual assualt in NC). The only difference with stand your ground is that you are not required to flee from a situation before using deadly force.

I agree approaching someone outside of the dojo is a bad idea, but I don't think if someone runs in to him somewhere outside of the dojo it gives paredes some carte blanche access to attack.

Approaching someone at their car or home in an attempt to confront or humiliate him has a pretty good chance of turning ugly. As soon as it turns physical, all bets are off. The folks pursuing him are trained martial artists...and would you really put it past James Paredes to make up a story about feeling threatened with serious bodily harm if it came down to it??

all i know is that if paredas killed someone this situation would make a great movie

it'd be like ip man, except factual

Yeah, I believe all the guys that have either visited paredes dojo, or attempted to meet him there are all really good guys. None of them are mean spirited and really just wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery, or perhaps have a brush with an internet celebrity while they could. I really doubt anyone would do anything like that to begin with.

Bullshit. There are posts in this very thread from folks repeatedly expressing a desire to humiliate him (and keep doing so), including from folks willing to invade his personal privacy to do so.

And as far as him being an "internet celebrity", this isn't like just random YouTube viewers trying to meet Jenna Marbles when they happen to see her at a convention...it's more Cubs fans like trying to track down and meet Steve Bartman. Paredes isn't famous, he's infamous. There's a lot of animosity toward him. According to the gym, he's no longer teaching there, and he's making an effort to keep a low profile. He's not embracing his notoriety, he's actively trying to escape from it.

Approaching someone at their car or home in an attempt to confront or humiliate him has a pretty good chance of turning ugly. As soon as it turns physical, all bets are off. The folks pursuing him are trained martial artists...and would you really put it past James Paredes to make up a story about feeling threatened with serious bodily harm if it came down to it??

Whatever. He's a multiple time back belt in noob-jutsu. It's not as if he could justify shooting a whitebelt because they asked to roll with him.

You're blowing this shit way out of proportion. The people here have exposed him as a fraud, and some people have tried to contact him for a friendly roll. Nobody is saying anything about killing him or anything stupid like that.

Whatever. He's a multiple time back belt in noob-jutsu. It's not as if he could justify shooting a whitebelt because they asked to roll with him.

You're blowing this shit way out of proportion. The people here have exposed him as a fraud, and some people have tried to contact him for a friendly roll. Nobody is saying anything about killing him or anything stupid like that.

This issue is bigger than 1-2 people in this thread. I'm aware of at least 4 different BJJ forums where people are still not letting this go. People have posted his home address and phone number. People have posted pictures of his car. People have made threats to beat the shit out of him. People are calling his old gym looking for him. Paredes wants no part of any of this attention and has legit reason to feel threatened. If he wasn't rolling with people who came in to take his classes when he was teaching, what makes you think he's going to want a "friendly" roll with you now?

So let me put it as nicely as I can: GROW THE FUCK UP. If he starts teaching again, you have my blessing to dojo storm his gym and challenge him to roll in front of his students. That's legitimately trying to protect them from being ripped off by a fraud. All this other nonsense is just immature douchebags getting their jollies by picking on a guy that nobody will stick up for.

The guy is a scumbag, but even scumbags don't deserve to feel like they have to watch their back going to their car or leaving their home. I honestly believed the BJJ community was better than this garbage.

I'm with KGB on this. The policing has done its job, and it should stop unless and until any evidence of his continued fraudulent activity is proven. He knows now that he can't get away with it. He doesn't deserve to feel like people are going to surprise him and attempt to humiliate him, and he definitely doesn't deserve to have his personal information posted online where literally anybody can get a hold of it.

I'm with KGB on this. The policing has done its job, and it should stop unless and until any evidence of his continued fraudulent activity is proven. He knows now that he can't get away with it. He doesn't deserve to feel like people are going to surprise him and attempt to humiliate him, and he definitely doesn't deserve to have his personal information posted online where literally anybody can get a hold of it.

Now someone just need to get kenpeters8 to stop reviving this thread.

Bullshit. There are posts in this very thread from folks repeatedly expressing a desire to humiliate him (and keep doing so), including from folks willing to invade his personal privacy to do so.

Agreed, but I was speaking only of the people who have actually visited his dojo. Those guys are good guys and certainly had a chance to be humiliate him in front of his students and did not.

Most of the people who are talking crazy are not from anywhere near here, and I think they are just doing the internet tough guy thing.

This issue is bigger than 1-2 people in this thread. I'm aware of at least 4 different BJJ forums where people are still not letting this go. People have posted his home address and phone number. People have posted pictures of his car. People have made threats to beat the shit out of him. People are calling his old gym looking for him. Paredes wants no part of any of this attention and has legit reason to feel threatened. If he wasn't rolling with people who came in to take his classes when he was teaching, what makes you think he's going to want a "friendly" roll with you now?

Admittedly, I was not aware of the shit going on on other forums throughout the web. You are correct that it has gone too far if that is the case. I am only familiar with this thread.

So let me put it as nicely as I can: GROW THE FUCK UP.

Are you talking to me? In case you hadn't noticed, I haven't taken part in the crucifixion of Parades. I just enjoyed some lols in this thread.

Hey wait i wanted to kick this horse a few more times I'm not sure if it's dead yet.

Haven't been in the grappling forum in months. I read about 10 pages but too much has happened. Can someone give me a quick run-down?

Haven't been in the grappling forum in months. I read about 10 pages but too much has happened. Can someone give me a quick run-down?

Typical bullshido dude. Says he did things and trained under people when he actually didn't, had developed a very...how can i say...quite heterodox submission on mount.

BJJ fraud in NC got exposed. He had made some videos of obviously incorrect techninques on YouTube. The gym says his class has been suspended indefinitely. Some folks from BJJ forums around the web refuse to let it go, and have taken it a bit too far IMO by posting his home address & phone, pictures of his car, etc.

Paredes stopped teaching "jujutsu"? check.
Many a lugwrench jokes have been said? check.
Thread reached one hundred pages? check.

I am over it at the this point. Wake me up if he starts teaching again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back