A bit of a bias?

SamuelDeath said:
My kun kru (and owner of the gym) is in the good graces of master toddy and several other highly respected wing-chun head hancho's.

I should asume the guy who does the sambo is compitent or else he wouldnt let him teach his students.

Where do you live?

ACR4V3N said:
MT in my opinion is probably one of the better Arts/Sport for self-defense. It seems like WC and most other Chinese arts focus on a certain flow, which only really works when you're fighting another of the same style. If you get good at MT and learn how to just punch some one in the face good and hard twice and fallow up with a good round house to the head, I bet no one will mess with you. If you think about it sporting styles (not sure what to call them but boxing and mt etc...) are more practical and efficient for hitting people because that's what you do all the time, hit people.
If in doubt put your toe in some punks ear and see how much more fight he has in him.
It seems like you don't train. Not calling you out, but do you?

meng_mao said:
It seems like you don't train. Not calling you out, but do you?

Yeah the roundhouse to the head as a self defense application doesnt sound too practical.

I train x2 a week and I have used it (round house) in a fight outside of a ring and if i didnt kick to high it would have nailed him. Think about it, you think the average queer looking for a fight is expecting that?

ACR4V3N said:
I train x2 a week and I have used it (round house) in a fight outside of a ring and if i didnt kick to high it would have nailed him. Think about it, you think the average queer looking for a fight is expecting that?
What do you train in? And why not punch him if he's not expecting a kick? The punch is faster.

Here is my very biased opinion...I used to train Wing Chun before starting MT. If you are looking to train unarmed standup fighting techniques, I would recommend MT...but you should probably change schools for the purpose (classes on evolution from somebody who belives in Intelligent Design may not be the best idea).

In my mind, a street fight is like swimming in the open ocean...MT training is like being part of a swim team at a local swimming pool, WC is like wading around in a 2ft baby pool trying out open sea manouvers.

This is based on my limited experience which may not apply to all MT and WC schools, but hopefully, it would be an useful input for you.

A kick will end a fight fast. 1-2 Kick like as said before

just because you can cut a steak with a plastic knife doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do

No muay thai.
Why wouldnt you want to throw a kick to the head in a street fight? Is there something im missing?

ACR4V3N said:
No muay thai.
Why wouldnt you want to throw a kick to the head in a street fight? Is there something im missing?

I could see you getting away with leg kicks.

but head kicks? no.

I'll stick to fists, clinch knees and elbows.

ACR4V3N said:
No muay thai.
Ask your instructor what MT technique you should use in a street fight. I bet you'll be told to clinch and knee, not to head kick.

Back