A bit disappointed in Cormier

the 5th was a major disappointment if you were rooting for Cormier. Everyone wants to see their guy go out on his shield and he did absolutely NOTHING.

Daniel talked too much putting a lot of unnecesary pressure unto himself, plus developed a plan that he did not totally stick to, specially when he had to be even moreactive in the clinch with hooks, knees and a more effective body lock to set up take downs before gassing out and have none of nothing.
Better Gus keep his mouth shut next time.

I'm not disappointed. I thought it was a damn good fight.

I just think Jon Jones is that good.

That remains to be seen.
GSP arguably fought as stiff if not stiffer competition than Jones, incuding bigger, or rangier fighters. Jones fought ONE fight of similar size and we all know it was his closest fight by far.

The " Jones has better striking " is very subjective too.
Jones didn't choke Machida because he is a great BJJ artist but because his frame allows him things that are unorthodox, or even sometimes freaky.

The fact that Jones is better at BJJ based on the choke means nothing.
That's like saying Weidman is a better overall striker because he knocked Anderson out once and that outstruck him and TKOed him by shin fracture.
To use your semantic " Weidman has oustruck and knocked out better strikers, he is the better striker ".
This doesn't work this way. Weidman in my opinion has better boxing like I mentionned, well served by a great chin, great sense of distance (maii), power and good reaction time.
JBJ is better at kicks, elbows, knees, and way more versatile and flashy.
Overall I'd say JBJ is the better striker but Weidman still has better boxing and BJJ in my opinion.
Also Weidman is still greener, let him develop a little more and then we could see them superfighting in the near future.

As for GSP being a better athlete, I used the classic sherdog definition meaning GSP is more explosive, faster, stronger, more flexible, and has at least similar cardio, all taking the bodyweight ratio in consideration.
Jones's most impressive physical feature is his frame, and he is deceiptively strong for his size but clearly can't match GSP in the power/strength/speed to BW ratio

"GSP arguably fought as stiff if not stiffer competition than Jones"
Nah.

"Jones fought ONE fight of similar size and we all know it was his closest fight by far."[/I]
Gus is easily better than every other LHW and HW right now apart from possibly Jones, that is why it was a close fight.

"The " Jones has better striking " is very subjective too."

Jones has better striking, I really shouldn't need to explain that.

"Jones didn't choke Machida because he is a great BJJ artist but because his frame allows him things that are unorthodox, or even sometimes freaky."

BJJ is defined by effective submission grappling, Jon Jones is effectively submitting people with grappling. That is BJJ, he is a better MMA BJJ practitioner than Weidman.

To use your semantic " Weidman has oustruck and knocked out better strikers, he is the better striker ".
This doesn't work this way. Weidman in my opinion has better boxing like I mentionned, well served by a great chin, great sense of distance (maii), power and good reaction time.

Well how else do you decide who is a better striker or better at anything for that matter, by consistently beating better strikers forever? I believe the person that wins the fight by a technique, is better at imposing that technique than the person that lost to it that also has the ability to use that technique but cannot use it as effectively.

"Also Weidman is still greener, let him develop a little more and then we could see them superfighting in the near future."

Weidman will lose to Luke Rockhold after Luke beats Machida. I believe Luke has better BJJ and striking than Weidman.

"As for GSP being a better athlete, I used the classic sherdog definition meaning GSP is more explosive, faster, stronger, more flexible, and has at least similar cardio, all taking the bodyweight ratio in consideration.
Jones's most impressive physical feature is his frame, and he is deceiptively strong for his size but clearly can't match GSP in the power/strength/speed to BW ratio"

Um. How is GSP more explosive, faster, stronger or more flexible? You are making stuff up, you can't just say that like its gospel. You can't determine the ratios of bodyweight to peoples level of speed and "explosiveness" etc thats stupid. They can both do the splits and throw axekicks, that means they are both just as flexible etc. Jones has "explosively" which is just speed and power combined, because that's all that could possibly create "explosiveness", taken down wrestlers with wreslting credentials FAR superior to anyone GSP has faced.

TL/DR

You are talking shit.

i am disappointed in cormier too, i was really optimistic that he would dominate jones
as others have already noted, cormier's endurance let him down
also I don't know what he could have done differently but jones's height and reach advantage was a problem for cormier, but ofcourse dc already knew that and should have had a strategy
I still feel that dc has the tools to put jones in a lot of trouble

That fking eyepoke killed the momentum.....

something looked off. I remember his hands to be more explosive and fast. Maybe it's because he used to fight slower heavyweights and that make him look faster.

"GSP arguably fought as stiff if not stiffer competition than Jones"
Nah.

WW has always been one of the deepest divisions. LHW? Far less so.

"Jones fought ONE fight of similar size and we all know it was his closest fight by far."[/I]
Gus is easily better than every other LHW and HW right now apart from possibly Jones, that is why it was a close fight.

The problem with this logic is that the only reason Gus is rated so highly is because of the Jones fight. Gus is obviously very good, but saying that he's "easily" better than every other LHW or HW doesn't hold any more water than "Gus did so well only because Jones has trouble with taller opponents."

The latter assertion might have more evidence backing it up, since Gus' most impressive performance, by far, was his fight against Jones.
I'm looking forward to the AJ fight.

Um. How is GSP more explosive, faster, stronger or more flexible?

As far as strength and flexibility, it's hard to say. But speed and explosiveness are clearly in GSP's favour. It shouldn't have to be explained.

...taken down wrestlers with wreslting credentials FAR superior to anyone GSP has faced.

Other than Cormier? Who he could only take down when the latter was so gassed he could barely stand up.

ETA: On topic, I wasn't disappointed with Cormier until the fifth. Up until that point he was doing better against Jones than I thought he would.

People find it really hard to accept that Jones is the best fighter in the world and the reason that Cormier didn't do better was because he couldn't.

I agree with this, I think DC gave it every ounce he had actually. Jones is just the better fighter.

DC fan here but i knew DC would lose from only seeing the first minute of the fight.
He's not aggresive and more importantly, he's not explosive at all.

I have never seen him this way before so it's no wonder he lost his first fight.

I was expecting for DC to go forward full speed throwing combinations and mixing takedowns until Jones is done, Cain style never quit never give a second to rest. Instead he played kicking game and clinch with Jones. I rewatched the fight and DC froze up against Jones like so many others before him. Cain would never pause to think about what Jones is doing, he would just keep grinding.

I must say I expected him to come out more aggressively , especially in the first round. I am pretty sure that Jones makes it very difficult, but after all the talk I really believed that DC would be just mauling him.

I found him to be a bit hesitant, even in the earlier rounds and pacing himself a bit too much.

The way Cain went after JDS and bigfoot was more the style I was expecting, especially since jones doesn't have any KO power. I honestly believe it might have turned differently, had he gone down that route.

Ah well, Gus is the only hope now.

If he fought more aggressively, then he would gass out much more quickly.

I think he really did maximum what he was capable of.

Lets switch DC's age and MMA experience with JJ's. I bet the fight is very different.

it was a good close fight, the better fighter dragged DC to deep waters and beat him.

The way Cain went after JDS and bigfoot was more the style I was expecting.

So basically you were expecting a style that Cormier has literally never used?

You have only your own incompetence to blame.

Dont be disappointed in DC, he did well. Its just that he faced the better and much more physically gifted and much younger fighter. DC clearly faded out after 3 rounds.

Lets switch DC's age and MMA experience with JJ's. I bet the fight is very different.

it was a good close fight, the better fighter dragged DC to deep waters and beat him.

Why not switch their skillset and looks, now we're at it.

Why not switch their skillset and looks, now we're at it.

Because my point was JJ's combined experienced and youth were two major factors in that fight.

Skillsets, not so much. JJ wanted to 'out DC' DC, and because of it the first three rounds were much closer than they should have been. The fight came down to will and JJ had more of it.

DC was chasing JJ around in the first round, was getting punished reaching in. Then he started leaning on DC, giving up his own reach and DC arguably won two rounds.

I laugh when JJ fans brag about 'out DCing' DC. It wasn't a smart move, and JJ arguably lost those rounds. Just one imo.

In real life he didn't. It's fair you think he did, but he didn't.

I said I felt he lost one round. I said the argument exists.

Dont act stupid because you don't like what I'm saying.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people were more surprised (as opposed to disappointed) at how well Jones did in the clinch against Cormier.

I dont think I read anything leading up to the fight in which someone predicted a Jones victory if he could get Cormier in the clinch and use his wrestling

Instead the path to victory for Jones was that he had to stay on the outside and keep Cormier from getting his hands on him. A lot of fans expected Cormier to grab Jones and immediately toss him in the air like the Barnett and Hendo hightlights.

Cormier did do good in the clinch in round 2 and started fading in round 3 and then got pushed around in the last 2 rounds, which I think was a big surprise to people.

Back