A bit disappointed in Cormier

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by rstringer, Jan 4, 2015.

1. rstringer

rstringer Yellow Belt

I must say I expected him to come out more aggressively , especially in the first round. I am pretty sure that Jones makes it very difficult, but after all the talk I really believed that DC would be just mauling him.

I found him to be a bit hesitant, even in the earlier rounds and pacing himself a bit too much.

The way Cain went after JDS and bigfoot was more the style I was expecting, especially since jones doesn't have any KO power. I honestly believe it might have turned differently, had he gone down that route.

Ah well, Gus is the only hope now.

2. CPH

CPH Let's party

Cormier gave it everything he had and given that he faded in the 4th, going harder at the start would not have been smart.

His (and his team's) mistake was not being ready for the knees and body kicks. This is what sapped DCs cardio and prevented him from being offensive in the championship rounds. He should have anticipated the heavy use of knees and he most definitely knew Jones would be kicking all night. Jones and his team were smarter.

3. Blicious

Blicious Blue Belt

I didn't expect dc to get humbled in the wrestling department. I hope he makes another run, time is not on his side though.

4. Inverse

Inverse Ginger Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

People find it really hard to accept that Jones is the best fighter in the world and the reason that Cormier didn't do better was because he couldn't.

5. Slick_36

Slick_36 Born Again Primitive

It was a battle of Jon's chin versus DC's gas tank. It appeared that Jon gameplanned to exploit Cormier's lack of cardio and he executed his gameplan very well. DC fought like he should in a championship fight and gave everything he had, tagging Jon cleanly many times. Both guys fought well tonight.

6. CannotWin

CannotWin Brown Belt

Weidman is much more of a fighter than Jones is, and Jones is a great fighter himself. Also, GSP.

7. Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell DEUS EX MACHINA Platinum Member

Every time someone is gonna fight Jones they all claim that he'll get humbled and will lose because of what he said on an interview or because of an Instagram post. Then they go and say that this opponent is gonna ragdoll him or punch him and knock him out. Then they go and make threads and cry when they get their dreams shattered

:rolleyes:

Jones is a good fighter and discrediting him is plain stupid. GET OVER YOURSELF!

[​IMG]

8. coq

coq Blue Belt

Why? Cormier isn't really a relentless pressure type of fighter.

9. rstringer

rstringer Yellow Belt

I was not discrediting Jones, only saying that DC should have maybe applied more pressure at the beginning.

That doesn't take anything away from Jones.

10. olingobingo

olingobingo Orange Belt

The body shots took it out of Cormier.

11. Inverse

Weidman/ GSP are not a better fighters than Jones, in technique.
    Jones is better everywhere than Weidman and GSP.

He will surpass both their records against harder competition, he just beat an Olympic wrestler that was undefeated and top 3 in Heavyweight.

12. rstringer

rstringer Yellow Belt

Coz he said he would and also because that is how you win when you are a much shorter fighter.

Looking back at Tyson, this is exactly how he disposed of much larger and taller opponents, through relentless pressure and KO power.

13. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

[​IMG]

14. Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell DEUS EX MACHINA Platinum Member

[​IMG]

I win

15. Glumberjack

Glumberjack Brown Belt

The guy fought his heart out and got beat by the best fighter in the world. Just because he didn't rock Jones several times or knock him out or do whatever it was that he needed to do to avoid "disappointing" you doesn't mean he didn't try. Piss off.

16. ackileez

ackileez ANALINGUSing a PAWG

but fighting a boxer who just started training wrestling and got taken down,lit up like the 4th of july, then barely put GUS down after landing an elbow isnt worth mentioning?

HEIGHT AND REACH.

17. bob

bob Ricky Gervais belt

Cormier moved forward alot because if you stand still or back up agaisnt jones he will fuck your day up.
    This is doubled edged sword tho
    Because of having to constantly press the action you run the risk of gasing. He walked into body shots and had to keep walking into them...
    He didnt shoot because of jones step up knee threat. And this hesitation made DC way less desperate to finish his take downs.
    Every time he would have his first go at what ever trip he was trying but wouldnt chain them together and stick to the finish.
    DC also looked slow when he came out. Like the grind for this camp took it outa him
    Jones looked composed as fuck and stuck to doing his thing.
    Im very surprised dc didnt try set up some better take downs. Low level singles and such.
    That clinch game was working for rounds 2-3.. but wasnt going to end the fight.

18. Inverse

He won that fight and Gustaffson didn't "just start training wrestling" he has been training it for years.

Gustaffson beats every LHW and every HW bar Jones probably.
    I'd pick Jones and Gus to beat Cain.

19. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Hardcore Gangster Belt

Both good responses

20. jimbob27

jimbob27 Ken Shamrock Belt

Cormier was pushing forward a lot. Problem was every time he closed into clinch range, Jones was better in the clinch. Cain's never experienced that in any of his fights, so it's impossible to say how he'd do.