A bad chin,can it be "helpfull" sometimes???

Cain's chin is not as good as JDS's, which enabled him to only take a mild beating with virtually no damage, compared to JDS who took far more damage with who knows what issues going forward...mostly attributable to their respective chins/heart

I'm just trying to find a legit way where having a bad chin can be helpful. Racking my brain on it, the best I can come up with is that a fighter with a shitty chin/questionable chin is used to being hurt/in trouble and probably won't act like he's never been hurt before when he does get tagged. It's not foreign ground where as a fighter who thinks he can't be hurt probably freezes up when caught in a bad spot. The best example I can give is a guy like say Diego Sanchez who gets hurt pretty much every fight and is probably far more used to fighting in survival mode than a dude whose chin is "amazing" who has never been in that spot and hits the panic button when things go poorly.

Edit: Outside of the obvious "you're less likely to take prolonged damage" talk. That doesn't help a fighter's game any though.

Of course a bad chin(like Chuck at the end) isn't very helpfull in the fighting game.But:

When i look at some fights,specially Cain vs JDS recently i can't stop thinking to myself how bad JDS looked busted up going into a decision and how clean Cain was after the first fight despite lying unconscious on the floor.

If Cain had the power/JDS Cain's chin,the fight would've probably ended in the first and JDS would look like he could take a rematch tomorrow.

Shogun vs Jones/Hendo is another one that was really bad.It makes your loss look so much worse imo.

There are also some guys like Anderson where you'll most likely get tko'ed with one punch and walk out there without many bruises and a busted up face/body.But when you're in there with someone that isn't able to finish you,but dominates, you'll probably get all busted up because of the amount of punches received.

Having a good chin(/opponent less power) and being tired is one of the worst combinations ever.The fighter turns into a walking punching bag just like BJ vs Rory/Diaz,Shogun/Jones,JDS vs Cain ...

Sometimes,by watching my favorite fighters i'd prefer them to go down and get tk'oed rather than being punched numerous times and hanging in there.

It's hard to pick but what's worse:a quick KO or a decision loss getting busted up??

It really depends on the situation.

You could look at fighters like Pat Barry and Melvin Manhoef and see what an Achilles Heel their chin is, but on the other hand you could also be like Roy Nelson or Shane Carwin and simply be too tough for your own good.

When i look at some fights,specially Cain vs JDS recently i can't stop thinking to myself how bad JDS looked busted up going into a decision and how clean Cain was after the first fight despite lying unconscious on the floor.

If Cain had the power/JDS Cain's chin,the fight would've probably ended in the first and JDS would look like he could take a rematch tomorrow.

cain wasn't unconscious. He lost balance because he was hit on the temple. Contrary to popular believe cain doesn't have a weak chin as you are trying to imply. Go watch jds cain 2 again. Jds hit cain with plenty of hard shots but cain wasn't even rocked. i'm now more confident in his chin than before. Kongo has also hit cain hard two times in a row and yes cain was rocked there, but it was for a very short moment. He sprung right back up. That's someone with a good chin. Those same shots ko'd pat barry.

poeple need to stop with the 'cain weak chin' theory. Cain got stopped once so far, so it's way too early to talk about a weak chin. Even the guys with the best chin in the hw division have been stopped. Roy nelson was tko'd. mark hunt was ko'd. Wait until cain is ko'd a number of times completely unconscious, then start talking about how his chin is weak. Like schaub for instance.

No, this is good. Now Cain knows no matter how hard he tries Junior will never be put away. I absolutely LOVE JDS because of the beating he took and he never quit. Maybe I'm the only one that will see it like this, but he gave me so much motivation to never quit at anything because whatever it, I'm sure it isn't even half as bad as what he went through just for the sake of never giving up. This loss means something, and that something is good.

Thats why even though he lost the fight he is still a scary Man specially after the fight when he got Booed he really got Angry and he told the Crowed,

I am going to get that belt back!

Cuauhtemoc and Kaufman06 are correct.

Too much heart can be bad for your health and your career. However it is often a good thing during a fight if you have a great finishing ability. A heavy puncher like JDS can end the fight at any second, so despite the beating it is a good attribute for him.

As a career move not so much when you miss the opportunity to win. As someone said, we would be asking for instant rematch if the ref stopped the fight after the big Cain's shot.

On the other hand, having that much heart also have a positive effect for your career : it wins you fans.

yea i mean, its bad ass, but then they just take too much damage

i think shogun / hendo shoulda been stopped in the third round - i know thats an unpoopular opinion bc shogun came back - but its just not reasonable for one person to take so much punishment, even if hes so tough that he never goes down

its just too much, in my opinion - obviously wont be a popular opinion here, but i dont want to see shogun with brain damage either, hes got a wife and prob has enough money etc.

That brain is still getting rattled around in your head with that tough chin. Every pulverizing shot that brain is getting rocked.

How a bad chin can be good for you:

If you lose by early KO, people will say it was a fluke.

If you hit your opponent just as hard in the rematch, follow up with 8 bombs while he's trying to get back up, and he's just too tough to put away, then you can "dominate" him for then next 4 1/2 rounds. Then Sherdoggers who think they're smart (but in fact are stupid) will say that you showed superiority by dominating an entire fight.

That is how a bad chin can be helpful. There are plenty of morons here touting this philosophy and acting like they're serious students of the sport. LOL.

Of course a bad chin(like Chuck at the end) isn't very helpfull in the fighting game.But:

Shogun vs Jones/Hendo is another one that was really bad.It makes your loss look so much worse imo.

There are also some guys like Anderson where you'll most likely get tko'ed with one punch and walk out there without many bruises and a busted up face/body.But when you're in there with someone that isn't able to finish you,but dominates, you'll probably get all busted up because of the amount of punches received.

Having a good chin(/opponent less power) and being tired is one of the worst combinations ever.The fighter turns into a walking punching bag just like BJ vs Rory/Diaz,Shogun/Jones,JDS vs Cain ...

Sometimes,by watching my favorite fighters i'd prefer them to go down and get tk'oed rather than being punched numerous times and hanging in there.

It's hard to pick but what's worse:a quick KO or a decision loss getting busted up??

This is a good point.

Sometimes a guy isn't "out" when hurt as badly as JDS was, he decides to quit and goes limp so the ref will stop the fight, or gives up his back and the RNC so he can tap.

It looks like quitting never ever entered JDS mind. Didn't occur to him as an option. Not only is his chin spectacular, his mental strength is up there at the highest level also. He fought four rounds on wobbly legs when it didn't look like he could possibly go one more. He dug down to that secret well of inner strength and willpower and it didn't run dry. Honestly, to me, this was JDS most impressive performance to date, and when he gets another title shot I'll be betting on him. (I bet on Cain in the rematch.)

And you know what, because of that he could have won, and almost did. A few of those upward elbows landed, and he got a few more punches in. Even at diminished power that he was fighting at, if any of those had landed in just the right spot we'd be talking about the greatest comeback in history. He got dominated after the big punch but he was never out of it.

How a bad chin can be good for you:

If you lose by early KO, people will say it was a fluke.

If you hit your opponent just as hard in the rematch, follow up with 8 bombs while he's trying to get back up, and he's just too tough to put away, then you can "dominate" him for then next 4 1/2 rounds. Then Sherdoggers who think they're smart (but in fact are stupid) will say that you showed superiority by dominating an entire fight.

That is how a bad chin can be helpful. There are plenty of morons here touting this philosophy and acting like they're serious students of the sport. LOL.

this
I tried to write the same thing but my english is not enough

I don't think having a bad chin helps anyone, ever. Although they may be able to avoid further punishment, an actual KO multiple fights over is worse (in my limited medical opinion) than being able to survive to a TKO in the same amount of fights.

More likely to have multiple concussions or possible noticeable effects of brain damage? I'd choose the latter, but I really don't know since it's hard to measure even with scans.

I seem to think a quick KO is better for the brain than a 25min savage beating. However, one doesnt have much a career in in the UFC with a glass jaw.

Did you miss the part where Franklin's nose was smeared across most of his face?

If you mean for your health, I think a good chin is bad for you. I've heard neurologist talk about how it's the repeated strikes to the head which typically cause damage, from what I've always heard it's rare for a single strike to cause severe brain damage.

Back