A bad chin,can it be "helpfull" sometimes???

bjjwar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Of course a bad chin(like Chuck at the end) isn't very helpfull in the fighting game.But:

When i look at some fights,specially Cain vs JDS recently i can't stop thinking to myself how bad JDS looked busted up going into a decision and how clean Cain was after the first fight despite lying unconscious on the floor.

If Cain had the power/JDS Cain's chin,the fight would've probably ended in the first and JDS would look like he could take a rematch tomorrow.

Shogun vs Jones/Hendo is another one that was really bad.It makes your loss look so much worse imo.

There are also some guys like Anderson where you'll most likely get tko'ed with one punch and walk out there without many bruises and a busted up face/body.But when you're in there with someone that isn't able to finish you,but dominates, you'll probably get all busted up because of the amount of punches received.

Having a good chin(/opponent less power) and being tired is one of the worst combinations ever.The fighter turns into a walking punching bag just like BJ vs Rory/Diaz,Shogun/Jones,JDS vs Cain ...

Sometimes,by watching my favorite fighters i'd prefer them to go down and get tk'oed rather than being punched numerous times and hanging in there.

It's hard to pick but what's worse:a quick KO or a decision loss getting busted up??

Of course a bad chin(like Chuck at the end) isn't very helpfull in the fighting game.But:

When i look at some fights,specially Cain vs JDS recently i can't stop thinking to myself how bad JDS looked busted up going into a decision and how clean Cain was after the first fight despite lying unconscious on the floor.

If Cain had the power/JDS Cain's chin,the fight would've probably ended in the first and JDS would look like he could take a rematch tomorrow.

I said that right after the fight. If JDS had just gotten finished it would have been much better for him in the long run.

Ko's change people (GSP vs Serra) + they can be pretty devastating too... maybe sometimes even worse for your brain then hard beating.

I don't think so. Once people know you are going yo be hard to finish they will fight more conservatively, so you are less likely to take a heavy beating.

if jds gave up at round 1 after that big punch
we would be talking instant rematch now

Ko's change people (GSP vs Serra) + they can be pretty devastating too... maybe sometimes even worse for your brain then hard beating.

I think GSP improved dramatically after the Serra KO.

In the long run, it was the best thing that could have happened.

if jds gave up at round 1 after that big punch
we would be talking instant rematch now

And it's ironical. It seems that sometimes it's better to lose by brutal finish rather than by decision.

Overeem was poking fun at how JDS looked after the fight. Let's be real here, Overeem would have been TKO'd or tapped to strikes.

Overeem should concentrate on making the next drug test instead. Go eat som horse meat.

Not chin, but too much "heart" can be bad, but on the other hand it can be good, what if Nogueira gave up in his fights? He would be considered a can nowadays.

Overeem was poking fun at how JDS looked after the fight. Let's be real here, Overeem would have been TKO'd or tapped to strikes.

Yeah let Reem laugh it up....if he beats Bigfoot he's next in line for a beating like that and yes Cain will out due the beating Arona put on him.

No, this is good. Now Cain knows no matter how hard he tries Junior will never be put away. I absolutely LOVE JDS because of the beating he took and he never quit. Maybe I'm the only one that will see it like this, but he gave me so much motivation to never quit at anything because whatever it, I'm sure it isn't even half as bad as what he went through just for the sake of never giving up. This loss means something, and that something is good.

I think JDS will learn so much from this beating. The first 2 minutes Cain looked like a one dimensional wrestler aka Brock with telegraphed takedowns and i thought JDS was gonna spark him out cold. His takedown defence and the way he popped back up was unreal. I think next fight he will go balls to the wall early doors and try take Cain's head off.

An iron jaw is great in the short term but bad in the long term.

I was thinking the same thing...can you imagine what would've been said if Cain did not turtle up and get TKOd so early...if he was a zombie looking like Carwin, falling over himself trying to get takedowns while JDS teed off on him...everyone would've said no rematch and that because of the failed zombie td attempts that Cain has nothing for JDS...the one bright spot like someone else said is that JDS will probably go for broke in the 1st round if they fight again knowing that he wasn't really hurt by the GnP but more by what happened standing trying to avoid going to the ground. He got up pretty quickly when he was taken down until he got hit standing

I'm having a hard time finding a situation where a bad chin helps. If it helps a fighter improve his defense and get more comfortable under bad situations then possibly?

I'm having a hard time finding a situation where a bad chin helps. If it helps a fighter improve his defense and get more comfortable under bad situations then possibly?

Cain's chin is not as good as JDS's, which enabled him to only take a mild beating with virtually no damage, compared to JDS who took far more damage with who knows what issues going forward...mostly attributable to their respective chins/heart

Back