1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

A bad ankle

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Kennethguye, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Kennethguye

Kennethguye Yellow Belt

Hello!, A few months ago during judo class I broke my left ankle,:icon_sad: I'll keep it short and to the point, what are some exercises that would specifically help strengthen the tendons and overall health of the ankle? thanks in advance

2. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

You strengthen a joint by strengthening the muscles around it, so you can isolate the lower leg with calf exercises and the anterior side of the lower leg, I'm not sure what it is. Those along with squats and deads will improve joint strength.

I hurt my ankle pretty bad twice in my life, once flipping a 3 wheeler and once falling out of a tree, and went through physical therapy for the first one. I really only went to PT for it because I went snow boarding like 3 weeks after the injury, and was walking around without the boot they gave me, and I fucked it up worse. All it was was strengthening the joint and establishing the range of motion, other than ice and electric therapy. Some of the things they had me do were walking, side stepping, and walking backwards while barefoot, and doing ROM work on bosu balls, and balance boards. The balance boards allowed the foot to rotate through a good ROM while supporting weight. I figured the barefoot stuff helped a lot because your ankle and the muscles around it support the foot without the aid of a shoe.

3. JK47AUS

JK47AUS White Belt

I have bronken my ankle badly twice now and i have done heaps of PT on it, i have found running on soft sand (the beach) strengthens and stretches it out heaps, also do heaps of calf raises and lateral exercises with it.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Farmer's walks

5. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

I'd encourage you to find a PT who can work with you to fix the specifics of YOUR ankle problem. The ankle is a pretty complex joint, and exercises that might be great to strengthen my ankle might be worthless for you.

6. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

vibram five finger shoes get them.

7. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

yes. +1. even walking in them improves your ankle stability.

8. DoMn8

DoMn8 Orange Belt

I've been more or less out of grappling for a year now due to a bad sprain. resistance bands, balance boards and everything else and it still doesn't feel right. My only piece of advice is dont rush back, you'll only make things worse. first day back at BJJ the instructor decides we should leapfrog over each other and then duck between each others legs. I'm up over the shoulders and down onto the mat and bam, ankle f**ed again. damn i miss it.

9. facedancer

facedancer Warning: ***hole

I've rolled my ankle so many times it's likely scar tissue at this point. Resitance bands allow you to move the joint in different directions, while still isolating that area.

10. shielja

shielja Blue Belt

thanks guys funnily enough i just got my cast off my broken left ankle aswell a few weeks ago and am still struggling with it

11. Kennethguye

Kennethguye Yellow Belt

the problem is I'm a big dude around 250 and really athletic I like to play basketball too, and its just frustrating even after a light jog i ll get a hot pain in my ankle, its just bumming me out because im really athletic and i cant do the things i want to, and any type of training barefoot is a big no, maybe i should just not bother with a fight career lol

12. SirLurksAlot

SirLurksAlot White Belt

How athletic are you again? :icon_lol:

13. Kennethguye

Kennethguye Yellow Belt

hahah thanks bro, i wrote that really late last night, i was askin for it ha

14. InFunkWeTrust

InFunkWeTrust Banned Banned

Try running in the pool. That helps.