A 17 year old Amateur Fighter

Kaiss

White Belt
Reaction score
Well ive been training for about a year and a half.

I fight at 135.

record is 1-0 fought in july, currently training again to fighting within the next 2-3 months.

My standup is fairly good, my boxing i feel is very impressive for an amateur but I've got a problem throwing kicks. I got checked once, and i really havent even bother throwing kicks since then. Now im very hesitant when i throw them even in sparring. Anyone have any suggestions on what i could do?

Keep kicking the heavy bag...a lot!

Do some shin conditioning with a partner. Take turns kicking and checking kicks and low intensity and slowly step it up. You just need t get used to the feeling.

edit: also during sparring wear shin guards so you can go harder.

This is a little off topic, but I am 17 and looking for my 1st amateur fight at 135. Where u from?

Well, you definitely need to feel comfortable with your kicks before you start throwing them. If you have a MT coach, have him work with you on your kicking technique, and then practice on the bag.

Yes, getting checked sucks, but you need to toughen up your shins to the point where it's not as bad. As a guy before said, really work the bag hard with kicks, as much as you can take without injuring yourself. Go without shin guards, and just kick the hell out off the bag. And practice checking/ getting checked with a partner.

Also, a very important thing about kicking, the worst thing you can do is kick when they expect it. You will get checked and/ or countered. You need to have good timing and setup with your kicks. Setting up your kicks with hands works very well. Also, the adage of "punch the kicker, kick the puncher" rings true; if the other guy is planting himself to throw punches, then he's vulnerable to kicks and will have a hard time checking your kick.

I'm also 17 years old but I have not been able to fight because apparently the country I'm in does not allow minors to participate in combat sport events. I do live outside of the US, how does it work in the US? I would like to start amassing a record from now since I do feel I'll be ready to fight in about a month or so (I've been training heavy as if I was training for a fight all throughout this year) but I have no idea on how to start. Do I need a representative to book me the fights or can I just enroll myself (in case my current teacher is the one telling me to wait). I understand that if my trainer advices me to wait and does not let me fight now it is because he's probably got his reasons, im not desperate and i can be patient. I just want to know more about the way in which things work out if i want to start amassing a record to make it to bigger leagues later on in my life.

not sure outside of the US, btu look for smokers. Smokers will probably be boxing or kickboxing. SMokers are usually put on by gyms in their gym. Its pretty much a glorified hard sparring session where you can get experience.

Also look for amateur tournaments in your area. For amateur fights you really dont need representation. YOU coach endorsing you will help alot though. Look for who is putting on amateur cards in your area, call them up, and tell them you want to fight. They should give you all the information you need to get started

Well, you definitely need to feel comfortable with your kicks before you start throwing them. If you have a MT coach, have him work with you on your kicking technique, and then practice on the bag.

Yes, getting checked sucks, but you need to toughen up your shins to the point where it's not as bad. As a guy before said, really work the bag hard with kicks, as much as you can take without injuring yourself. Go without shin guards, and just kick the hell out off the bag. And practice checking/ getting checked with a partner.

Also, a very important thing about kicking, the worst thing you can do is kick when they expect it. You will get checked and/ or countered. You need to have good timing and setup with your kicks. Setting up your kicks with hands works very well. Also, the adage of "punch the kicker, kick the puncher" rings true; if the other guy is planting himself to throw punches, then he's vulnerable to kicks and will have a hard time checking your kick.

completely agree with this....i see a lot of this during sparring, amateur fights, and especially in mma.Setting up kicks with hard punching makes it VERY hard to check kicks

Also agree with kick the hell out of the heavy bag. Shadowboxing, sparring, and mitt work are great for technique, but a heavy bag is essential in getting the body used to taking a beating. And by taking a beating i mean the pounding your body takes from punchin, kicking, kneeing and all that good stuff

Back