97 year old blue belt...Fake???

you guys will shit on anything, let the man live

I want to challenge this guy to drop from the Senior 12 division down to Senior 3. He probably doesn't even have one fight to medal. Pfft, blue belt. I'm sure he's sandbagging. He's been winning his division for 27 years straight. #sarcasmforsure

I do want to know if this is a real pic. It changes my basic understanding of longevity in the sport.

I don't think it's 'fake' but I reckon what's happened is some 60 yr old at the gym gets ribbed by the younger guys for being 'old' - 'hey Arthur - you're like 96 yrs old dude'. Then he has his 61 th birthday and someone gets him to hold the sign (no 97 yr old writes like that). Photo then gets taken out of context and goes viral.

It's not that I don't believe a 97 yr old could be a blue belt... more just that the dude looks about 20-40 yrs off 100 and there probably aren't too many 90 yr olds grappling.

I don't think it's 'fake' but I reckon what's happened is some 60 yr old at the gym gets ribbed by the younger guys for being 'old' - 'hey Arthur - you're like 96 yrs old dude'. Then he has his 61 th birthday and someone gets him to hold the sign (no 97 yr old writes like that). Photo then gets taken out of context and goes viral.

It's not that I don't believe a 97 yr old could be a blue belt... more just that the dude looks about 20-40 yrs off 100 and there probably aren't too many 90 yr olds grappling.

Jake Lelanne did not look that good in his 90s.

jack-lalanne-1.jpg

This sounds about right...

I assume anything on facebook is fake, but given the amount of my idiotic friends and aquaintances that "like" things that are clearly bullshit, I appear to be the only one. You can bet that guy isn't 97 years old.

I saw this on Facebook and hoped it was real. Props to him whether he is in his 60's or 90's.

I saw this on Facebook and hoped it was real. Props to him whether he is in his 60's or 90's.

Selling false hope. Creating unrealistic expectations... I definitely give this guy props, but I think someone is pulling a fast one on us...

I train at Jean Jacques Machado and David Dunns Sidekicks fight academy is an affiliate. The man is the grandfather to one of their students.
There was a party Saturday at the academy and that's the reason for the civilian attire under the gi.
Side note Tanner Rice taught a few classes there last week ;)

I train at Jean Jacques Machado and David Dunns Sidekicks fight academy is an affiliate. The man is the grandfather to one of their students.
There was a party Saturday at the academy and that's the reason for the civilian attire under the gi.
Side note Tanner Rice taught a few classes there last week ;)

So it's fake?

Let me send David a Facebook message and I'll get more info

That would be great, thank you. I am not trying to expose anybody here. I've already shared this on my Facebook page. I just don't want to be spreading false images or telling untrue legends.

So guys - can I forward this picture with confidence that it is legit? :D

I bet he can tap other 97 year olds.

Also looks like he was rocking the shoyoroll 27 before it was cool
-1145801310341305400.jpg

Back