93 guard as go to?

I developed my knee shield when I was a blue belt. I've spent a lot of time on it. Just keep practicing.

Holt and I aren't big guys. I'm around 140. Like he mentioned, it's a very effective guard to used against big dudes and keeps their weight off of you and allows you to work.

If I can't get anything going with my knee shield then I will transition. It's always on a case by case basis. It depends on what the guy is giving me, what I'm trying to work, or even how tired I am.

What do you mean by "mule kick"?

Nice. I'm about 1 year into my blue. The mule kick is just what my brain says when it happens. They either leg weave or grab my pants at the hip and power sprawl or kick to remove my hooked bottom leg. Then they just run around and pass. I've never really found a solution. I've tried doing the leg lasso when they weave, but sometimes it's hard if they are ready for it. Any tips?

I've been trying to get the cross sleeve grip and far leg pants grip to hit the shaolin sweep from knee shield. Or if they base backwards you can bump into them and knock them over.

But it's definitely not my primary game, I'm just trying to add a couple offensive options if I'm forced to play a half guard situation. To me that is half passed, and my main goal is to recover full guard or get my bottom leg out and square up with the bicep ride to get to spider etc

They either leg weave or grab my pants at the hip and power sprawl or kick to remove my hooked bottom leg. Then they just run around and pass.

They shouldn't be able to do that.

Cross your ankles (left over right) and lock your legs above their knee. Point your feet up and your knees down. This creates a very powerful knee shield. You can move your legs and hips to push them back and forth. Moving your hips can help create space as well if they get too close.

Control their far side arm, too.

Caio Terra has some good knee shield stuff. You should check out one of his DVDs. Back when I was a purple belt I went to one of his seminars, and a few of his concepts helped my knee shield game immensely.

Nice. I'm about 1 year into my blue. The mule kick is just what my brain says when it happens. They either leg weave or grab my pants at the hip and power sprawl or kick to remove my hooked bottom leg. Then they just run around and pass. I've never really found a solution. I've tried doing the leg lasso when they weave, but sometimes it's hard if they are ready for it. Any tips?

the biggest blue belt z guard problem i had was not using the knee shield itself enough to load up my opponent's weight. it's almost like a butterfly or x-guard in this way, where you use the wall you've built with your knee and forearm to generate a push/pull that knocks your opponent off balance until you have the openings to attack. regarding the pants grab-- strip the grip! like any move, there's a balance between offense and defense that you must always strive to keep in your favor, so don't let your knee shield position turn into an over/under pass position for your opponent.

Can someone explain to me what Z and 93 are? Are they just knee shield?

To further complicate this thread I actually view them all as different.

Knee shield is with a vertical blocking leg, usually foot on the hip knee on the shoulder.

93 guard is more parallel blocking leg, usually knee ranging around the ribs

Terra guard, really low blocking leg, knee usually at or below belly button with ankle crossed.

This is mostly based upon how the people who use the verbiage play the guard.

Yes, if the opponent goes to a hand/arm weave (I assume this is what you meant, unless he is taking your hips over to the other side and going to the leg weave over there) I like to attack the open (weaving) elbow with both grips and look to go after the shoulder. If he's too deep with his grip and I can't fully open the elbow to expose the shoulder, I will transition to a near sleeve grip on the weaving side, frame on his shoulder/bicep on the far side, put my knee shield-side foot on or near his hip, and immediately open my hips to transition to lasso.

Depending on the timing and whether he comes in strong reaching for the collar/head, you can hit a pretty effortless sweep to the opposite side with you lasso. Getting a pant grip and moving more perpendicular as you switch your hips helps complete the sweep.

If he grabs the pants at your hip, you should look to sit up and arm drag the shit outta him. Plain and Simple. If for some reason the arm drag isn't there (it should be), I, personally, like to grab the sleeve/wrist and pull my knee in (hip moves internally then externally, not just flexion) to bicep ride and attack whatever I see that is open, maybe even another arm drag.

I hope this all makes sense.

To further complicate this thread I actually view them all as different.

Knee shield is with a vertical blocking leg, usually foot on the hip knee on the shoulder.

93 guard is more parallel blocking leg, usually knee ranging around the ribs

Terra guard, really low blocking leg, knee usually at or below belly button with ankle crossed.

This is mostly based upon how the people who use the verbiage play the guard.

This is exactly my perspective with it.

I think confusing the terms isn't helping anyone. Terra guard has nothing to do with normal knee shield. It's a very specific position with sweeps that you just can't hit from the other versions. Similarly, knee shield has completely different options IME.

I don't use 93 much so can't comment on that.

This was my go to guard before I developed much of a RDLR game.

My tips are:
1. Control the far sleeve every time you are using the position to create distance rather than transition to another guard. Crossfaces are a massive pain in the arse.
2. Don't insist on the guard if nothing has worked offensively for a while. If you are down by points in a tournament and pull knee shield, your opponent has a lot less incentive to pass. Since knee shield isn't much of an offensive guard by itself, it can be hard to prevent stalling from your opponent.
3. Develop a supplementary guard for knee shield. Something like RDLR or tornado guard which both come off of knee shield's internal rotation.
4. Work on the far-side armbar as a final line of defence against crossfaces.

I'm not very good at explaining things. Sorry.

Back