90s Top HW Boxers vs. Klitschkos.

You really undersell the Klitschkos. They're aren't the best heavyweights champs granted but not they're bums you make them out to be, they're a match up nightmare because of thier size and they way they use that size. Vitali in particular has never been stopped so I don't see random no names being able to beat/KO them.

You're right, but the real point was that saying Ali and Foreman are the ONLY 2 in history who could have a chance of beating them and it would be a toss up is just as ridiculous as saying a journeymen from the 40's would KO them, I mean has he ever heard of Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Joe Walcott, Archie Moore... Because I think they would tool the Klitschkos. And I'll be honest I havnt been watching recent boxing matches, I've seen a few of Pacquiao's fights but that's really it.

LOL, up 4 rounds to 2 halfway through the fight, I mean thats COMPLETELY outside the realm of possibility that Lewis could win 5 more rounds innit. And that cut, it wasnt like it was from a legal punch. Keep bringing the hate, a 38 year older a fight or two away from retirement in any case, stopped your boy.

And that 38 year old "a fight or two" away from retirement decided to punch his ticket and hang em up rather than give Vitali a rematch. everybody INCLUDING HIS OWN COACH EMANUEL STEWARD wanted him to give Vitali a rematch. He said no thanks! Wonder why??:rolleyes: This from a guy that said "I will have one Klitschko for lunch and the other for dinner" LOL

You're right, but the real point was that saying Ali and Foreman are the ONLY 2 in history who could have a chance of beating them and it would be a toss up is just as ridiculous as saying a journeymen from the 40's would KO them, I mean has he ever heard of Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Joe Walcott, Archie Moore... Because I think they would tool the Klitschkos. And I'll be honest I havnt been watching recent boxing matches, I've seen a few of Pacquiao's fights but that's really it.

It's not that they're the only two or that the Klitschkos are top 10 of all time but they're a match-up nightmare for alot of fighters because of thier size and ability to use that size. There are pleanty of fighters who would beat them but I don't think that many of the fighters who were champions during the 90's are better then them. And if you want to go back to the Joe Louis era through the Ali era I'd agree that there are alot of champions who I'd say were better.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that 38 year old "a fight or two" away from retirement decided to punch his ticket and hang em up rather than give Vitali a rematch. everybody INCLUDING HIS OWN COACH EMANUEL STEWARD wanted him to give Vitali a rematch. He said no thanks! Wonder why??:rolleyes: This from a guy that said "I will have one Klitschko for lunch and the other for dinner" LOL

He beat him within the rules of the fight, his coach only wanted another payday. Would Vitali have won the rematch? Maybe? Probably? It doesnt matter, he still got beat and Lennox had nothing else to prove. Should the 07 NY Giants have to take on the Imperfect Patriots again to prove that wasnt just being better at the right time or should their effort to win their and then actually count for something? At 38 Lewis hung in their whilst the sway was turning against him and beat Vitali entering his prime, imagine what Prime Lewis would have done. Or just hate.

LOL, up 4 rounds to 2 halfway through the fight, I mean thats COMPLETELY outside the realm of possibility that Lewis could win 5 more rounds innit. And that cut, it wasnt like it was from a legal punch. Keep bringing the hate, a 38 year older a fight or two away from retirement in any case, stopped your boy.

Doesn't change the fact that Vitali was winning that fight, Belfort isn't a better fighter than Couture because he got a cut stoppage.

That said it was a close 4-2 and a prime Lewis would have put up an even better fight.

And if anyone's hating it seems like you can't stand the Klitschko brothers.

Lennox Lewis took the Vitali fight on short notice, Vitali was not the original opponent, I think it was Kirk Johnson.

Lewis was 38 and weighed in heavier than he ever had.

He was turning that fight around when it was stopped (deservedly because that cut was a mess and Lewis would have worked on it, Vitali is a brave man but he could have got hurt).

Lewis was past his best, he knew it and retired.

In his prime he could take both Klitschkos. He's just a better fighter and a big dude himself.

A younger, lighter, sharper Lewis would be able to outbox either and would probably just Knock Vlad out.

He beat him within the rules of the fight, his coach only wanted another payday. Would Vitali have won the rematch? Maybe? Probably? It doesnt matter, he still got beat and Lennox had nothing else to prove. Should the 07 NY Giants have to take on the Imperfect Patriots again to prove that wasnt just being better at the right time or should their effort to win their and then actually count for something? At 38 Lewis hung in their whilst the sway was turning against him and beat Vitali entering his prime, imagine what Prime Lewis would have done. Or just hate.

Was the Giants beating v.s Patriots game stopped halfway through because of an injury?? Look anybody who watched that fight with half a brain knows that Vitali hurt Lewis A LOT more than Lewis hurt him....saw Lewis plop down on his stool after the 6th from unloading on Vitali and trying to get him out of there but to no avail....and also saw Lewis nod his head yes when Vitali asked him if he promised to a rematch while bopping his arm after the fight. Also the way Lewis conducted himself during the post fight interview with Merchant was pathetic imo. Didn't want to give Vitali ANY credit at all. Couldn't just say.... yeah he is one tough sob and he had me in some serious trouble in the 2nd but I'm glad I got through it! Instead he repeatedly said "look at the state of his face" And my favorite "Yeah that punch definitely woke me up" :rolleyes:

And Vitali is strong, skilled, and AWKWARD. I think a prime Lewis would have been better....but still would have struggled and possibly lost against Vitali.

Was the Giants beating v.s Patriots game stopped halfway through because of an injury?? Look anybody who watched that fight with half a brain knows that Vitali hurt Lewis A LOT more than Lewis hurt him....saw Lewis plop down on his stool after the 6th from unloading on Vitali and trying to get him out of there but to no avail....and also saw Lewis nod his head yes when Vitali asked him if he promised to a rematch while bopping his arm after the fight. Also the way Lewis conducted himself during the post fight interview with Merchant was pathetic imo. Didn't want to give Vitali ANY credit at all. Couldn't just say.... yeah he is one tough sob and he had me in some serious trouble in the 2nd but I'm glad I got through it! Instead he repeatedly said "look at the state of his face" And my favorite "Yeah that punch definitely woke me up" :rolleyes:

And Vitali is strong, skilled, and AWKWARD. I think a prime Lewis would have been better....but still would have struggled and possibly lost against Vitali.

The more time passes the less impressive Vitali looks against Lennox. Lennox was suffering from muscle fatigue by the 2nd round, and his feet and hands moved to different rhythms. Vitali also appeared to be outgunned.

I think that Vitali peaked against Lewis, whereas Wladmir seems to be improving, at least against Samuel Peter level fighters.

The more time passes the less impressive Vitali looks against Lennox. Lennox was suffering from muscle fatigue by the 2nd round, and his feet and hands moved to different rhythms. Vitali also appeared to be outgunned.

I think that Vitali peaked against Lewis, whereas Wladmir seems to be improving, at least against Samuel Peter level fighters.

No Vitali didn't peak against Lewis.....where would you even get that idea? He looked A LOT better in his 2nd round knockout of Kirk Johnson, and his fights with Sanders and Williams. I think he was starting to be at his best before the string of injuries happened.

And "Samuel Peter level fighters"??? Ibragimov was a step above Peter and so was Chagaev. Wladimir shut them both out and stopped one of them. And I would say Chambers (who boxed Peter's ears off) is a step above Peter and so is Thompson.

No Vitali didn't peak against Lewis.....where would you even get that idea? He looked A LOT better in his 2nd round knockout of Kirk Johnson, and his fights with Sanders and Williams. I think he was starting to be at his best before the string of injuries happened.

And "Samuel Peter level fighters"??? Ibragimov was a step above Peter and so was Chagaev. Wladimir shut them both out and stopped one of them. And I would say Chambers (who boxed Peter's ears off) is a step above Peter and so is Thompson.

I didn't think Sanders, Johnson, or Williams entered the fights with any expectation of winning. They didn't appear to have any strategy to attempt.

It's true that Chambers is a better fighter than Peter, but he isn't an athletic challenge to either Klitschko, whereas Peter at least had a puncher's chance. Wladimir beat a more talented, and harder working, boxer in Chris Byrd, so his performance against Chambers doesn't indicate growth. You could argue that Ibragimov is better than Peter, but good luck finding great evidence. He is a 35 year old with a draw against Ray Austin.

I picked Peter because Klitschko fought him in an overly cautious manner in the first fight, and allowed Peter to recover from huge openings he had created. The second fight demonstrated pretty clear dominance.

I didn't think Sanders, Johnson, or Williams entered the fights with any expectation of winning. They didn't appear to have any strategy to attempt.

It's true that Chambers is a better fighter than Peter, but he isn't an athletic challenge to either Klitschko, whereas Peter at least had a puncher's chance. Wladimir beat a more talented, and harder working, boxer in Chris Byrd, so his performance against Chambers doesn't indicate growth. You could argue that Ibragimov is better than Peter, but good luck finding great evidence. He is a 35 year old with a draw against Ray Austin.

I picked Peter because Klitschko fought him in an overly cautious manner in the first fight, and allowed Peter to recover from huge openings he had created. The second fight demonstrated pretty clear dominance.

Well Ibragimov was an Olympic silver medalist who a lot of people believe should have gotten the gold against Savon. Yes the Austin fight was not a very good showing but he had an injury during training camp and came in overweight and kinda sluggish. He boxed circles around Briggs and was a good fighter with great foot and hand speed, great chin (watch the right hands Briggs caught him with) and his skills had gotten a hellava lot better since the Austin fight being trained by Jeff Mayweather.

And as far as the three Vitali victims in 03-04...I do think they came to win but if you watch after the 1st and 2nd rounds they just kinda had the fight taken out of them after they realized what they were up against.

Back