8 years since Karate prospect came into the UFC.....

Uriah Hall

Does Giga C. have karate back there somehwere?

The “Beverly Hills Ninja” dude from DWCS def is from a karate background

Valentina looks like all she does is karate

The blonde girl she beat up recently is from karate, Chookigan

Dont leave Roy Nelson out for Kung-Fu

Theres more

Plenty of fighters have a background in karate, everybody doesn't walk around wearing their background info. There's fighters like Rashad Evans that come from a karate background, but he was a known wrestler so that is what people called him

conor and cejudo dont come from karate, they just adopted a karate like stance.
Cejudo's comes from wrestling yes but his striking is karate styled. He, himself, has talked about this.

And let me guess, Conor comes from boxing....

Why do you think people would just a karate stance and not adopt the striking? Are they just doing MT or something?

A63c.gif

giphy.gif

Machida 2007
Whittaker 2012
Wonderboy 2012
Gunnar 2012
Horiguchi 2013

Then.....no more.

It's been MORE than 8 years since a prospect with Karate background came to the UFC...and I don't see any promising prospects with karate background else where...I remember the hype behind Machida, Gunnar and Horiguchi before they came over...not much at all behind Robert in hindsight, who knew? I'd think if they were around, I'd have heard but no....

I'd love to see more fighters with karate background come over...but sadly I'm not sure it will happen any time soon...

Roy Nelson knows Kung Fu

Keith Hackney was the best one

The greatest MMA fighter of all time came from Kyokushin. That was his base, then he learned BJJ, boxing and wrestling.
No he was MT and BJJ. Karate hasnt played any part in any world champ unless you count kids that did Karate at 5 years old. All MMA guys have boxing, MT, wrestling now. Only TMA nerds trying to justify their $85/mo at a mcdojo think otherwise. I remember karate black belts getting lit up in sparring ( on the feet) by guys that had 6 months boxing or MT at my gym. Not just once or twice, dozens of times. Most karate black belts are absolute jokes and this is coming from someone who fought amateur for years.

No he was MT and BJJ. Karate hasnt played any part in any world champ unless you count kids that did Karate at 5 years old. All MMA guys have boxing, MT, wrestling now. Only TMA nerds trying to justify their $85/mo at a mcdojo think otherwise. I remember karate black belts getting lit up in sparring ( on the feet) by guys that had 6 months boxing or MT at my gym. Not just once or twice, dozens of times. Most karate black belts are absolute jokes and this is coming from someone who fought amateur for years.
So GSP isn't a 3rd Dan Kyokushin Karate black belt? Karate wasn't his first martial art? Didn't start training Kyokushin at age 7? I guess he should update his Bio since you know better than him.

So GSP isn't a 3rd Dan Kyokushin Karate black belt? Karate wasn't his first martial art? Didn't start training Kyokushin at age 7? I guess he should update his Bio since you know better than him.
No I really dont but coining him a karate fighter is adsurd. GSP is a BJJ BB, has some of the best wrestling in MMA ( takedown percentage rate) and very good boxing. I wouldnt attribute his career success to karate. When was the last time he did a side kick, front kick, spinning kicks that resulted in him winning the fight? Nope. He wrestling TD's , crisp boxing, mixed with leg kicks is how he won his fights. Other than his headband and karate bathrob upon entry to the cage, karate didnt represent hardly anything he did in the cage. Wonderboy, yeah I can see it. The bouncing stance, hands by his waist, lack of punching, ect...But GSP, no.

Back