8 year old arrested at school

Schools in the US are a shit show with regards to how to handle terrible kids. Teachers can't lay a hand on them, nor can they remove bad kids from a classroom because they deserve the same education as everyone else. My mom was an elementary school teacher then counselor for many years, and she said there were kids that would throw tantrums several times a week - the rest of the class and teacher had to leave the classroom until a counselor/admins could calm the kid down, which sometimes took hours. Who knows what the backstory of this kid is, but it's possible he's a little terror and the teacher/school just got tired of dealing with it so they decided to call the cops. Also possible it was a completely unnecessary overreaction by the teacher.

Edit : just read that the kid has emotional and behavioural disabilities. He probably causes problems on a daily basis, his parents won't do anything about it, and the school simply got fed up and said screw it, let the cops deal with it.

Again seems like a funding issue to me, the school(or wider education aurthity) didn't have the resources to deal with it, probably hidden behind some "these children shouldn't be isolated" PR but really about funding cuts whilst you suspect the police aren't dealing with that because it plays to "lol social workers" conservatives.

Again seems like a funding issue to me, the school(or wider education aurthity) didn't have the resources to deal with it, probably hidden behind some "these children shouldn't be isolated" PR but really about funding cuts whilst you suspect the police aren't dealing with that because it plays to "lol social workers" conservatives.

I'm not sure how more funding fixes this problem - the root of it is* that we can't separate kids with behavioural issues from the rest of the kids, nor can school admins do much in the way of disciplining or restraining kids. It's not PR, it's the law.

*The real root of it is usually terrible parents, but there's not much you can do about that.

I thought I saw somewhere that they were doing a "Scared Straight" thing?

So a kid with behavioral issues and apparent emotional baggage finally grinds the school down into helplessness and the mom's response is to hire Ben Crump and go full litigious money grab

The underlying issue here seems like a real mystery

This is the shit that happens when you let the pc crowd make the policies.

"Main streaming " should be based on the child's ability to function in class not to make people feel better.

Then the teachers hands are tied even in self-defense. So when a kid keeps going off the rails all they can do is call the cops. If you call the parents to come get them they will refuse and expect the school to handle them. The school can't even suspend or expell them.

This is the shit show the pc feel crowd has created.

I'm not sure how more funding fixes this problem - the root of it is* that we can't separate kids with behavioural issues from the rest of the kids, nor can school admins do much in the way of disciplining or restraining kids. It's not PR, it's the law.

*The real root of it is usually terrible parents, but there's not much you can do about that.

C'mon man you're better than this. All this does (scenarios like these) is continue to perpetuate the school-to-prison pipeline (which is the absolute worst here in Florida & disproportionately targets colored kids) which fuels the prison industrial complex. These types of kids don't need to be arrested, sent to juvie & have their lives ruined over silly shit in a classroom, they need mental health attention.

You also have to understand, the manner in which education is presented in the US is a joke because it's structured in an "assembly line, one-size-fits-all" standardized testing approach which is tailored to early success & achievement, when the fact is that everyone learns differently & not everyone reaches their highest cognitive potential at an early age (the human brain doesn't fully develop until 25 years old after all). @moreorless87 does have a point that the US education system does need reformation & more funding (apparently the US education system is one of the worst of all developed countries, not surprised).

Police shouldn't be in schools at all, this all started due to America's fear of another Columbine shooting but it's inadvertently created another nasty issue. In most other developed countries the police aren't in schools at all, they have school counselors/mental health pros to deal with kids with behavioral issues.

This video explains it much better than I can:

How the fuck did I know this was going to be either Florida or Texas even before I clicked on this thread. Guns and handcuffs for everyone.

All the dumb fuck coastal Dems moving to both of those states will get everything they deserve. Having to pay no State Tax doesn’t come cheap. One way or the other, you’re going to pay.

C'mon man you're better than this. All this does (scenarios like these) is continue to perpetuate the school-to-prison pipeline (which is the absolute worst here in Florida & disproportionately targets colored kids) which fuels the prison industrial complex. These types of kids don't need to be arrested, sent to juvie & have their lives ruined over silly shit in a classroom, they need mental health attention.

You also have to understand, the manner in which education is presented in the US is a joke because it's structured in an "assembly line, one-size-fits-all" standardized testing approach which is tailored to early success & achievement, when the fact is that everyone learns differently & not everyone reaches their highest cognitive potential at an early age (the human brain doesn't fully develop until 25 years old after all). @moreorless87 does have a point that the US education system does need reformation & more funding (apparently the US education system is one of the worst of all developed countries, not surprised).

Police shouldn't be in schools at all, this all started due to America's fear of another Columbine shooting but it's inadvertently created another nasty issue. In most other developed countries the police aren't in schools at all, they have school counselors/mental health pros to deal with kids with behavioral issues.

Police been in schools at least 20yrs before Columbine.

But they are trying to take them out of the schools here in Albuquerque now. They need to take that money from the school police and hire more cleaning staff and make sure everything is wiped down all day long.

Last edited:
It must be a prank they did for a kid...I know it's 'Murica, but even 'Murica can't be that retarded....

How the fuck did I know this was going to be either Florida or Texas even before I clicked on this thread. Guns and handcuffs for everyone.

All the dumb fuck coastal Dems moving to both of those states will get everything they deserve. Having to pay no State Tax doesn’t come cheap. One way or the other, you’re going to pay.

Texas will always be a Republican state.

I ain’t surprised, they put handcuffs on 10-14 year old trafficked girls all the time. They throw them in fucking Juvie. Troubled children need social workers and therapists and real rehabilitation. The juvenile justice system does nothing except hurt these kids and it absolutely does not work as a deterrent.

Some children as young as 8 are already totally lost. Abuse, neglect and mental disease can destroy them forever. An 8 year old can be scary and violent, especially to other small children.

This is a sad story, but I guarantee the kid is violent and disruptive on a regular basis.

I was part of a pilot program this year regarding restorative justice in schools.

Currently, there is a push to get all school resource officers out of schools

However, during one of the university's studies (and this is an extremely left leaning university) they noticed that there is a sizable group of students that want the cops to stay on campus because they are the only "outsider" within the school building.

A resource officer has no impact on your grades. A resource officer won't draft a report to put in your file, etc.

For a few kids, they feel more comfortable talking to the school's resource officer than they do their teachers, administrators, or guidance councilors.

It's a balance that must be planned carefully.

Police been in schools at least 20yrs before Columbine.

But they are trying to take them out of the schools here in Albuquerque now. They need to take that money from the school police and hire more cleaning staff and make sure everything is wiped down all day long.

These threads always show who grew up privileged as all hell - I'm 34, so I was in elementary school before Columbine, and we would have juvenile probation officers visit our school once a year to give 4th, 5th, and 6th grade kids a 'scared straight' type presentation - not just to troubled kids, but the entire classes because kids getting into legal trouble was such a big problem. I remember cops coming in to arrest a kid who had brought a gun to school, and a couple of other times when kids were caught with drugs. The junior high in my town had a full time cop working as well, again, before Columbine. (I grew up in New Mexico)

If the idea of cops showing up to arrest a kid in elementary school is foreign to you, be thankful you didn't grow up in a shithole.

Last edited:
Back