8/10 current UFC champions have 1 or 0 title defenses; who's the next dominate champ?

cruz has 1, just picked up the belt again

DC is too old, and there's gus out there, and he's going to get the belt next year

so, cruz. or joanna

bisping. I know he's british, but you could have been a little less nationalistic

well not so much that, but he has a very very winnable first defence.

We dont know who the rest are fighting, but its unlikely they get such a generous matchup

we had this poll yesterday

same answer as then. BIsping.

Alvarez will lose his first defence - 1 defence (unsuccessful)
Miocic will lose to Overeem - 1 defence (unsuccessful)
Woodley will lose to Wonderboy - 1 defence (unsuccessful)
Nunes will lose to Schevchenko -1 defence (unsuccessful)
McGregor will beat Aldo and then vacate - 1 defence (successful)
BIsping will beat Henderson and then defend again - 2 defences (1 successful)

I dont count Cruz because hes not really a new champ, he just took back the belt he never lost, and I dont consider Cormier "the champ" until Bones is banned. His next fight will be for the "Undisputed" belt
anyone who counts his rematch vs hendo as a legit first defense is a goof

well not so much that, but he has a very very winnable first defence.

We dont know who the rest are fighting, but its unlikely they get such a generous matchup
oh, winning the first fight, ok. but he asked about the next dominate (dominant?) champ

"dominate" = verb

"dominant" = adjective

With USADA, things have really changed. Most of the dominant champs (Ronda, Aldo, Cain, Weidman, Pettis) just lost their belts, at the exact same time, overnight, And looked terrible. I think a dominant champ after USADA is unlikely.

So McGregor is the 4th longest reigning current UFC champ.......interedasting

And since everyone was calling DC a paper champ up until a few weeks ago that could make Conor the 3rd longest reigning....

Nate has yet to defend his McGregorWeight title but I'd say he's lock in his first defense.

oh, winning the first fight, ok. but he asked about the next dominate (dominant?) champ

in which case there is no dominant champ on the list :D

I really dont count cruz, he didnt lose his belt, its the continuation of his last reign

in which case there is no dominant champ on the list :D

I really dont count cruz, he didnt lose his belt, its the continuation of his last reign
exactly, he was asking which one of these champions would be a dominant one

;)

Maybe USADA era champions can't defend? :eek:

lawler defended against condit. and rory 2 was the beginning of the USADA era

The only one I see keeping their belts are Cruz and DJ. Everyone else is probably going to lose in their next defense.

Surprised nobody mentioned the Eagle yet. Khabib NurmaGoatMedov is an obvious answer.

Dominant... you want an adjective there, not a verb.

8 defenses: Johnson
3 defenses: Jedrzejczyk
1 defense: Cormier and Cruz
0 defense: Miocic, Bisping, Woodley, McGregor, Alvarez and Nunes

Of the champs with 1 defense or less who do you see becoming the next dominate UFC champ? The easy call is Cormier and the ballsiest pick would Bisping, as he's at the end of his career and he won the title by major upset. I would concede and call Cruz already a dominate champion because he never lost his belt and he's picking up right where he left off. I think Cormier last at least 4 defenses and then he might retire. I'm sure Gus has something to say about that pick tho. Your thoughts?
Conor will have the longest title reign....

....he will never actually defend his belt.

Back