I would suggest taking up Yoga and buying some joint supplements, as well as what some other people have said in this thread.

To the thread starter, my friend I feel the same way.

I am 33 and in the last 2 years I have made the greatest gains in my life in terms of weight training and cardio.

I used to run every day on concrete 1-3 miles and my body was used to it and ignored the pain in the legs.

I also lifted weights most days and carried on making good strength gains although my weight stays the same at 75 kg at 5ft 11.

In this time i experienced little if any muscle soreness after weights, as frequently i would go into the sauna and have a cold shower after sessions with 8 hours sleep and 30 minute naps here and there.Amazing thing is my protein at this time mostly only 70-80 grams a day.

Than i start judo again after 12 years gap.

I do 3 sessions a week. Two on a tuesday at different clubs. 1 focusing on uchikomi for 1 hour than 2 hours of hard ground work with all out sparring with far heavier and higher belts.

I find this session in particular results in many bruises and the bone and joint pain u mentioned. so much that come Thursday when i do 2 hours of standing throws and randori i am a little tired internally.

Thursday with all the body throws doesnt result in the same bruising but it does give me the same joint pain in the arms and dull soreness in back afterwards.Also my hands are also tired but this is worse if i had a hard day in the warehouse where i lift boxes 2 days a week.
But after 9-10 hours sleep and now I eat 140 grams protein a day i find I am fine to do cardio and run around and box on Friday but I must wait till sunday to be 100% for heavy weights sessions like bench or deadlift or power snatches. Although sometimes saturday is great too. If i insist on weights on friday it will be light excersises like biceps and forearms.

So my answer to u is, it is not your age you just must learn to eat high protein, take glucosamine sulphate and sleep 8-9 hours at least. Sauna and cold showers help.

Thing is I see 50 year old guys taking mad throws and doing the same 3 day judo routine as me. Im sure they dont do as much cardio (3 runs and 2 boxing sessions a week) as me, but they also do manual labour for a living and weights.

So my advice just stay confident your still young.
These days when i run less and even than on treadmill as opposed to the road, I often have more diffculty ignoring the shin splints than i did a year before when i was running daily but this is cos Im not doing it every day like before. So the point being your body will get used to stuff the more u do it.

Just dont overtrain when u have genuine muscle and bone injuries as opposed to just soreness.

After 25 your body just does not recover as quickly.

i dont buy this. Ive been able to train much harder and recover quicker in my early 30's while holding down a stressful job than when i was 20-24 I would constantly break down with colds and need to sleep 14 hours when i was younger. I think in this day and age 35 is the new 30. so yoru still good in early 30's

Im eating about 4000 calories, and im sleeping from 7 to 8.5 hours daily.

seems that im not the onlywith these problems. i was thinking about quiting but ill keep trying and i will keep training and see what happens on the coming months

THX for the input fellas peace
That should be enough.
Maybe some supplements for recovery and joints would help.
I take a multivit/joint sup in the form of Orange Triad by controlled labs.
I also take vitargo after each workout (bjj and weightlifting)
Make sure to get enough protein, good carbs and good fats in your diet.
I eat 3500 calories daily devided in 45% carbs/30% protein/25% fat which translates into about: 400gr carbs/250gr protein/100gr fat

Hope this helps a bit.

No, it get's replaced by a strong one.

Seriously though, I accumulated a number of injuries when I first started. Probably in large part because I kept up a demanding lifting routine. I added ~20lbs lean mass the same time I was doing BJJ... but my body eventually gave way, and I had to take cumulative months off for different injuries. (And lost almost 10lbs during the worst off time, which I had to slowly get back!)

For me that was just part of starting -- learning what signals from my body meant I needed to give it a rest.
I'm back and have kept up ~3-6hrs of BJJ and ~5hrs of lifting a week and feel great. When I 'feel' like a part of my body wants a rest I give it to it though (skipping shoulders, abs what have you until I'm good).

I also find that a week or a little more off every couple months does wonders for me. My lifts usually go up after the week off too, and last time I also came back having made some sort of breakthrough in my guard and movement... R&R is part of success.

I used to have the same issues until I really committed to getting flexible. Try "The Genius of Flexiblity", I think the Into DVD is like $20, it took a couple of months doing it just about every day for 20 minutes. The first thing I noticed was my body didn't get banged up as bad, then after about 5-6 months I started noticing I could move in ways I couldn't before. BJJ will take a toll on the body if you don't do something to keep yourself loose.

Threadstarter, how many days a week do you roll?

If the answer is 1, I don't think it'll ever go away. You need 2+ for your body to get used to it.

As for your ribcage. We roll pretty hard where I train, and the people are big and strong, so mine hurt nonstop for the first year or so.
It then started to go away, either because it's been conditioned, or because I've gotten bigger and stronger. It's very nice to be able to sneeze and cough without squatting down to protect your ribs...

I can't help thinking that the heavy core work and big compound lifts I've been doing have helped. Squats, deadlifts, saxon sidebends and ab wheel for the win.

I'm 44. I had a lot of this when i started training.

Then I found anti-inflammatories. DICLOFENAC twice-a-day. If I miss taking one I can feel the joint pain and soreness come back.

Voltaren on a daily basis is probably a bad idea long term. You should talk to a doc about taking this for extended periods...i'm not sure if you were prescribed this for ongoing supplementation but i would certainly hope not, it is not good for your body. Effects are negative on liver and stomach. I took this for costachondritis which was excruciating pain. I was told it was comparable to taking 8 to 10 advils in terms of anti-inflammatory effect.

original poster...cut back on training, and consume alot more natural anti-inflammatories - pineapple, melons and fruits in general. Also add ginger to your diet. I am no stranger to inflammation related ailments.

also, check with your doc. the rib pain may be minor costechondritis which continues to be aggravated by rolling. I was told to take a month and a half off all activities including minor things like jogging. I was also taking voltaren at the time...same dosage 2x daily for about 3-4 weeks. I was advised to stop soon as the discomfort was bearable.

also every 'body' is different...some guys at 30 are like others at 40. your body is telling you to back off the training a bit. you should cut back until better and ease back in.

Back