Movies 70s Movie Marathon: Assault on Precent 13

Alien

Original-Alien-1979-film-screening-NEPA-theaters-40th-anniversary-2019-1024x696.jpg

Synopsis: The crew of a commercial spacecraft encounter a deadly lifeform after investigating an unknown transmission.

My Rating: 8/10

Again like every movie I've rated so far in this thread minus the Godfather's I have watched twice back to back. I watch it at night and then again during the day at work or when I get home.

The first viewing I had this around a 9 maybe even 10 but there's a few things I really don't like at all. I think the movie is brilliant and close to a masterpiece until the alien runs away after popping out of the guys chest. Within an hour that 1 foot alien baby turns into a 6-7 feet grown alien. That's insanely fast. But hey maybe aliens can do that, idk. No big deal. But when Dallas goes into the vents, somehow they can read him and the alien yet the alien didn't have a tracker or decide like Dallas did. How could they have known the alien was coming for him? It does set up the best and only scare in the film but it still doesn't make sense as to how they knew that.

I also hated how Ash was a robot. I didn't think it was needed and felt it was unnecessary. There's also a shot of the alien after he kills Lambert and Parker that made the alien look funny and fake.

What I dislike the most is the ending. It was pointless to have the alien onboard just for it to sit there stuck wedged in a tight space. She puts on a suit, gases it out, and then opens the door and shoots it as it was clinging on for life sending into space where it dies.

I felt if you're going to have the alien onboard for one last scare then it should have done something instead of basically nothing.

I read the original ending Ridley wanted to do was the alien is on board and jumps out killing Ripley, then it rips her head off. The alien then radios in someone else's voice to send more people. I thought that would have been better than what they went with. They could have at least made the alien do something lol

I still think it's a great film, if some people rate it higher that's fine but before I just think it's great.

You watched the movie twice back to back and somehow missed how they knew the alien was coming for Dallas? Ash made a motion tracker device.

Bad News Bears

rs-235490-Bad_News_Bears_1976_2.jpg

Synopsis: An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team of misfits in an ultra-competitive California little league.

I grew up watching this as a kid and man does it still hold up, I liked it a lot. It's another comedy in the 70s that wouldn't fly today, so that makes it awesome in my book.

I thought the kid Tanner was hilarious lol I didn't realize the "tough" kid Kelly is the d level Freddy Krueger in 2010. I didn't really buy him as the tough guy, but he was still good in the movie. Amanda was the stand out along with the coach.

I liked the ending a lot. I think this is one of the best baseball movies. I would say Sandlot and Major League are better but it's right there with them.

Last edited:
Bad News Bears

Synopsis: A small time hustler takes the pint-sized baseball team to Japan for a match against the country's best little league baseball team which sparks off a series of adventures and mishaps.

That's the plot of the 3rd BNB movie, not the original

Bad News Bears
lol I didn't realize the "tough" kid Kelly is the d level Freddy Krueger in 2010. I didn't really buy him as the tough guy, but he was still good in the movie.

I'd didn't remember him as Leak, either.
But you identify him now as a "D level Freddy" and not as

images
?

The Deer Hunter

6_midi.jpg

Synopsis: An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

It was close to a high 7 low 8 for me. It's a very good to great movie, but definitely not the best picture of 78 imo I also thought Apocalypse Now was way better.
The cast is great, Pacino, Walken, and Meryl were definitely the best overall. John Cazale was excellent too but his role was smaller. This was also his last film before dying of cancer.

The best scene of the film is easily the Russian roulette after being captured. It's what the film is best known for and rightfully so. The ending was also very good and the reason why I gave the movie overall an 8 instead of a 7.

I do think the movie is way too long at 3 hours. It does drag a little so I get why some feel the movie can be boring at times but I think overall it's still a great film that's worth the slow burn.

De Niro gave a better performance than Walken imo

The Deer Hunter

6_midi.jpg

Synopsis: An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

It was close to a high 7 low 8 for me. It's a very good to great movie, but definitely not the best picture of 78 imo I also thought Apocalypse Now was way better.
The cast is great, Pacino, Walken, and Meryl were definitely the best overall. John Cazale was excellent too but his role was smaller. This was also his last film before dying of cancer.

The best scene of the film is easily the Russian roulette after being captured. It's what the film is best known for and rightfully so. The ending was also very good and the reason why I gave the movie overall an 8 instead of a 7.

I do think the movie is way too long at 3 hours. It does drag a little so I get why some feel the movie can be boring at times but I think overall it's still a great film that's worth the slow burn.

It's very good, but the first hour or so is so damn bloated.

The Deer Hunter

6_midi.jpg

It certainly has some iconic scenes and moving moments but yeah I don't think it's necessarily one of DeNiro's best films even if it is one of his best performances. DeNiro in the 70s was an absolute beast.

Cazale, what a legend, gone before his time. Cazale is one of those actors where his death was not only very sad in and of itself (he was only 42 I think) but also upsetting because movie fans got deprived of what assuredly would have been some awesome roles and performances from him. If Cazale lived into his eighties, I can only imagine how much good stuff he would have delivered. He was great every time out. Would have definitely been great to see him in Scorsese work.

Really its a very slow atmospheric arthouse film that managed to get a high budget and a mainstream audience.

And I’m pretty sure Cimino never directed anything nearly as good subsequent, which is kind of strange in the sense that I think the Deer Hunter is a very technically effective film.

And I’m pretty sure Cimino never directed anything nearly as good subsequent, which is kind of strange in the sense that I think the Deer Hunter is a very technically effective film.

On a technical level Heavens Gate is actually just as good but lacks the same kind of drama.

Back