Movies 70s Movie Marathon: Assault on Precent 13

You've seen holy grail and life of brian right?

Nope. Tried watching Holy Grail a few years ago and turned it off about 10 mins in.

tenor.gif

I'll watch Holy Grail and Young Frankenstein. I'll pass on life of Brian.

I will definitely check out Willy Wonka as well.

There is more room to explore in the 70's than any other previous decade. MASH, David Bowie, electronic funk, The Pink Panther, James Bond, women leading characters, rise of epic sci-fi, fall of epic western, Richard Pryor, Richard Jordan, b-movies, possession horror, loner cop, cop buddies, Elliott Gould, anti-hero, global tension, Charles Bronson, Linda Carter, Pam Grier, big breasts, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Diane Keaton, John Cassavetes. That is just the beginning of the 1970's.

There is more room to explore in the 70's than any other previous decade. MASH, David Bowie, electronic funk, The Pink Panther, James Bond, women leading characters, rise of epic sci-fi, fall of epic western, Richard Pryor, Richard Jordan, b-movies, possession horror, loner cop, cop buddies, Elliott Gould, anti-hero, global tension, Charles Bronson, Linda Carter, Pam Grier, big breasts, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster, Diane Keaton, John Cassavetes. That is just the beginning of the 1970's.

Fuck yeah to Elliott Gould...watch The Long Goodbye and Busting. Gould is supposed to do a Q&A at the New Beverly Cinema after a showing of The Long Goodbye in less that a week...Wish I was there for that.

And maybe The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

Last edited:
If you like Phillip Marlowe (The Big Sleep), you should check out "The Long Goodbye".

Ending could have been better if Altman used a little more restraint (just like Hanson with LA Confidential), but aside from that, it's a classic noir detective picture.

Fuck yeah to Elliot Gould...watch The Long Goodbye and Busting. Gould is supposed to do a Q&A at the New Beverly Cinema after a showing of The Long Goodbye in less that a week...Wish I was there for that.

And maybe The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.
Cross Post!

I'll throw in one of the all-time greats the rest of the thread hasn't mentioned yet; Chinatown.

Chinatownposter1.jpg

Blazing Saddles

blazing-saddles-header.jpg

Synopsis: In order to ruin a western town, a corrupt politician appoints a black Sheriff, who promptly becomes his most formidable adversary.

My Rating: 10/10

It's a comedic masterpiece that can never be duplicated again. Richard Pryor and Mel Brooks wrote the screen play, I read somewhere Pryor was suppose to be the original lead, and as good as he is, I don't think he could have done as well as a job as Cleavon Little did. Gene Wilder was hilarious as usual as The Waco Kid.

It would be literally impossible to try to make racism funny today. I watched it last night and again today at work. It might be my favourite comedy of all time, it's top 3 for sure.

It's a Looney tunes cartoon, come to life, just for adults. It will even make fun of itself as a movie, showing the studio next door which results in a hilarious cameo by Dom DeLuise.

Some of the jokes don't land for me, but most of them do. I have seen this movie at least 5 times or more, I know what jokes are coming and I still have a great laugh everytime. My kind of humor. 10/10

Agreed. It's so bad now we are literally remaking cartoon candy characters to have more "inclusive and diverse" background stories. Fuck M&M's

I hope the greatest movie of all time, Smokey And The Bandit, is on the docket
Back when Netflix was just a DVD by mail company, I watched that movie because it was in the bottom of the list and I was too lazy to update it.

Loved it.

Taxi Driver

taxi_driver_de_nirojpg.jpg

Synopsis: A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his urge for violent action.

I have seen this movie at least a dozen times and this is the first time I have given it a 10. It was close the last time I watched it but I'm giving it a 10 this time. Again I watched the movie twice in a row, and it holds up extremely well every time.

This is Martins 2nd best film imo (Goodfellas) but you can make an argument it's #1. Martin himself has a very small role in the movie where I thought he was excellent in. He might be the best example of a director doing a excellent job acting in the film he is directing. This is the one thing Tarantino is terrible at.

Harvey Keitel also has a small but very memorable role as Jodie Foster's pimp. I think this is in De Niros top 3 performances with the other 2 being Raging Bull & Godfather II.

I really liked how Travis was a few seconds away from being a "bad guy" by assassinating the senator, to being a "good guy" by killing a pimp and a few gangsters to save Jodie Foster.

Once Travis becomes a "hero" we see him looking exactly the same as he did in the beginning of the film which means to me the ending was shot before De Niro shaves his head into a mohawk.

The ending is debated by some whether it was a dream or if Travis really lived, and I think it's obvious he lived after the shooting. I was always curious as to why Travis looks into the rear view mirror and then looks again all of a sudden sort of angry, and from what I have read it's to show Travis isn't cured, he's still the same guy who will snap again and maybe this time he won't be the "good guy"

This is why the music and visuals are exactly the same, the story loops from the ending back to the beginning which shows Travis will do the same thing over again and it also means the movie could loop right back to the begining of the movie and it could play endlessly.

Very deep film that holds very well on multiple viewings. Also I'm glad they never went thru with the sequel back in the early 00s.

Taxi Driver

taxi_driver_de_nirojpg.jpg

Synopsis: A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his urge for violent action.

I have seen this movie at least a dozen times and this is the first time I have given it a 10. It was close the last time I watched it but I'm giving it a 10 this time. Again I watched the movie twice in a row, and it holds up extremely well every time.

This is Martins 2nd best film imo (Goodfellas) but you can make an argument it's #1. Martin himself has a very small role in the movie where I thought he was excellent in. He might be the best example of a director doing a excellent job acting in the film he is directing. This is the one thing Tarantino is terrible at.

Harvey Keitel also has a small but very memorable role as Jodie Foster's pimp. I think this is in De Niros top 3 performances with the other 2 being Raging Bull & Godfather II.

I really liked how Travis was a few seconds away from being a "bad guy" by assassinating the senator, to being a "good guy" by killing a pimp and a few gangsters to save Jodie Foster.

Once Travis becomes a "hero" we see him looking exactly the same as he did in the beginning of the film which means to me the ending was shot before De Niro shaves his head into a mohawk.

The ending is debated by some whether it was a dream or if Travis really lived, and I think it's obvious he lived after the shooting. I was always curious as to why Travis looks into the rear view mirror and then looks again all of a sudden sort of angry, and from what I have read it's to show Travis isn't cured, he's still the same guy who will snap again and maybe this time he won't be the "good guy"

This is why the music and visuals are exactly the same, the story loops from the ending back to the beginning which shows Travis will do the same thing over again and it also means the movie could loop right back to the begining of the movie and it could play endlessly.

Very deep film that holds very well on multiple viewings. Also I'm glad they never went thru with the sequel back in the early 00s.

John Woo in a better tomorrow.

Back