7 out of 10 UFC champs are 26-27 years old

Tabarnakos

Ghoul Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Not sure if it means or show anything but just thought it was somehow interesting

Jon Jones : 26 years old
Anthony Pettis : 26 years old
Jose Aldo : 26 years old
Dominick Cruz : 27 years old
Renan Barao (interim) : 26 years old
Demetrious Johnson : 27 years old
Ronda Rousey : 26 years old

Champs that are not : GSP (32) , Cain (31) , Weidman (29)

So GSP is the oldest champ in the UFC at 32. Are fighters peaking earlier than they were before due to better training , the sport evolving etc ? Because not too long ago tge guys ruling the sport were mostly early-mid 30's guys (Chuck , Randy , Tito etc). Is that an indication that the sport is evolving ?

I think it's just what you say, that the sport is evolving. We are seeing a lot of the old stars getting trumped by young fighters, and not all of them are showing signs of slowing down. Just simply getting beat by the new, more skilled, better trained generation.

The UFC is a hive of age discremination. They need a diversity director bad. Dana White is toblame.

Shows an evolution in MMA. It used to be a majority of champs were in their 30s. Now with superior training infrastructure and more athletes who would be playing football in America otherwise, Soccer in Brazil and Hockey in Canada more talented fighters are joining the sport who are dominating at young ages. This trend will continue more and more as the sport evolves. This honestly makes GSP look better as it proves just how much better he was than his peers at WW a few years ago.

Not only that but there are so many young fighters turning pro and training in all disciplines at a much earlier age than the last generation.

Don't remind me. I'm their age and I'm sitting here talking about them on Sherdog while they're ballin.

Also it tripped me out when i realized that GSP was the oldest champion in the UFC. We are definitely coming into a new era.

They are also american

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Not surprising most athletes peak in their late 20s early 30s. Now that MMA is about athletes not style vs style I imagine we will see a lot of guys be champions in their 20s.

Wow never expected to see GSP to be the old man of the bunch. With A. Silva losing his crown I guess that makes GSP the senior.

In many sports, 25-28 is seen as the peak confluence of athleticism and technique/skills that constitutes your "prime." I don't see why MMA would be different.

Not to be a nitpicker but Dom jus turned 28 this month

Well, I must say, you got me there.

At least that's my guess with what he was going with. A lot of Europeans think it is arrogant of United States citizens to refer to themselves as Americans exclusive of the rest of America (North and South). "It would be like calling yourself European, but only meaning that you were French"

"Yeah, but how many countries in America have the word 'America' in the title of their country?" is my usual response.

I think in general an athlete is at his physical peak at around that age, and with guys getting into MMA younger and younger, their skills are matching up with their athleticism. Whereas in the past guys didn't start training until they were in their 20s so their skills didn't reach their peak until well past their physical prime.

I think it's just as you say, fighters are peaking earlier because they train better and are more complete fighters and since the competition is on a higher level overall advantages like physical prime are more important now.

how many countries have "OF america"in their names? doesn't mean shit and does not really justify the usage of Americans exclusively for citizens of the USA.. but yeah, that's just how things are in the real world and i really couldn't care less if americans is used to refer to citizens from the USA

Back