68 Year Old Former Kickboxer Outstrikes Mugger

wwkirk

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
World-champion kickboxer: Mugger ‘picked the wrong guy’
Steve-Shepherd-AP.jpg

Steve Shepherd, a 5-time world champion kickboxer, works out Thursday, in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"At about 4 p.m. Dec. 27, Shepherd said someone hit him in the back of his head with a bottle as he was walking to his car. He said he “blacked” for a few seconds. His knees buckled, and the attacker punched him in the face near his left eye.

Shepherd said the man appeared angry, got really close to his face and began to scream, “Give me your (expletive) phone!”

Still dazed from the first few blows, Shepherd said at first, he thought he accidentally picked up the attackers’ phone at the restaurant. But he quickly put the pieces together and began to fight.

Shepherd, who has been professionally fighting since 1975, said he threw a right cross at the man, which caused his hands to go up, leaving his abdomen wide open. Shepherd threw a right hook to his ribs and believes he broke them.

“And then he just crumbled right there,” he said. “I felt (his ribs) crack.”

Bystanders thought the two were involved in a street fight and began to break it up, which allowed the attacker to escape, Shepherd said."

I'm surprised someone hasn't gathered up footage of these various old full contact karate or early American kickboxing bouts from the 1970s & 1980s and put them online somewhere. Would be kind of interesting to see.

I'm surprised someone hasn't gathered up footage of these various old full contact karate or early American kickboxing bouts from the 1970s & 1980s and put them online somewhere. Would be kind of interesting to see.
They have. About two years ago I was watching a ton of the stuff but I lost the bookmark, whilst upgrading my browser.
It was one of these Google groups or something. I've tried and re-tried with keywords but very difficult.

It is also a goldmine for exposing fake kickboxers and that was what originally got me interested. Records are still difficult to keep today, with the internet everywhere. Imagine the difficulty back then.

Theres actually a lot on youtube if you can find it and the cliché 80s commentary alone is worth it. Talking about dragon sweeps n shit.

Haha, awesome. Thieves are scum. Good to see someone making them pay. I bet the would be thief thought he had an easy mark.

I liked reading about them and looking at the snazzy colourful photos in British Martial Arts magazines like Combat, Fighters and the American mag Official Karate and obliviously not a good at K-1 rules and tough as Muay Thai but looked fun and you had a number of points fighters cross in over and some made up styles and false champions but still a golden period in my eyes.

Steve showing off some of his moves on Fox & Friends:

And some footage from his fights back in the day:

Back