67-year-old guy berimbolos

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Spazzmaster, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Spazzmaster

Spazzmaster Purple Belt

IBJJF's Senior 5 category. Video title has been updated with his age: 67!

It's drilling, but even still. Bravo.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

By the time I'm that old, I hopefully will have mastered inversion. I want to be buried inverting, Preventing death from passing my guard.

3. SD619BJJ

SD619BJJ White Belt

If you're dead and buried then death has already passed your guard.

4. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

lol, old man monkey dance was sweet!

5. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

I'll take the chance for a technical question that is in my mind from some time..

The guy in this video is inverting on his right shoulder while attacking from the left, while generally I always see the "basic" berimbolo explained, or done, with the roll on the same shoulder of the de la riva leg.

Point is that I find it really much comfortable to roll on the opposite shoulder like in this video.. do you think there is some important difference in doing in a way or another?

6. Senshi

Senshi Brown Belt

Meh, Helvecio would smash him

Uchi, well said

7. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

Yeah he's actually doing it kinda wrong. The standard Mendes way of doing it (hook is on their right leg, drop onto left shoulder and roll across it) is how you're meant to do it. I imagine anyone good would wrap up some sort of half-guard, reverse de la riva or attack a single leg as soon as he attacks in that manner as he wasn't using his shin across the belly to properly control the opponent's posture.

So yes, you're meant to roll over your left shoulder in that position as you're right shin is meant to control posture.

8. Solidus Snake

I see.. thanks for your answer.

So you think that rolling the other way makes it difficult to keep your shin on their belly? I must drill it again cause it didn't felt that way last times I tried it like this.

BTW I'm particularly intrigued by this mechanics. As you can see for example, when somebody attempts to berimbolo from top x-guard (Gui Mendes explains it on YT, but for a live action test the best example is Rodolfo blonde platinum version vs Buchecha) they roll on the ""wrong"" shoulder. Maybe it's because it would be risky to go the other way without a deep de la riva hook..?

9. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

In the video the 56 year old ends up in a sort of slightly knee-up top half-guard before rolling. Against an active opponent that's not an effective manoeuvre. When performing the actual berimbolo you end up on your side with your shin cutting perpendicularly across their belly. Watch the Mendes berimbolo version to see what I mean when Rafael emphasises the importance of the angle and the pressure from his shin. The berimbolo in this example has no pressure or angle and an active opponent could counter much, much more easily.

I believe the reason they roll across the wrong shoulder in the two examples you mentioned is because they're quick rolling counters rather than a move that at times is much slower, methodical and is more often than not seen coming. It's closer to being a rolling back take ala Ryan Hall than an actual berimbolo.

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Rolling on the wrong shoulder the way he did, against anyone good, you're more likely to get your own back taken than anything else.

11. Spazzmaster

Spazzmaster Purple Belt

Dudes. He is 67. Sixty goddamn seven. It's a victory for him to even be on the mat, let alone inverting.

This forum sometimes. Too judgmental.

12. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

That's a separate issue. I'd love to still be on the mats at 67 and especially in such good condition. But someone asked a technical question in regards to his berimbolo and I answered, and my answer was the despite all the positives surrounding this man's jiu-jitsu career, his berimbolo wasn't great.

13. Unipres

Unipres Orange Belt

Wow, I'd hate to see how you judge an 1st grade art competition.

14. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Black Belt

Sloppy technique, terrible victory dance, pointy elbows

0/10 would not roll

15. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

BJJ is a sport where everyone is realistic. If someone does something wrong, there's no harm in saying it's wrong.

16. Budo Master

Budo Master White Belt

how to do berimbolos?? am very heavy and very hard. it will be call berimgordo no?

17. Unipres

Unipres Orange Belt

So I assume that you completely smash 110 lbs girls when rolling to keep it real? Keep in mind the TS wasn't asking for a critique of the roll, just showing what a 67 year old can do. Were he asking for a critique, I'd be right there with you.

18. Solidus Snake

Sorry, it started with me asking about his shoulder roll but I didn't mean to cause a direct critic to him, of course this dude deserves nothing but praise for be on the mat at 67.

19. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

You're absolutely right.

20. BJJArsenal

BJJArsenal Brown Belt

He asked me if what he did was correct. I said no. That's pretty much asking for a critique or at least a review. When I roll with girls I don't smash them, of course I don't, but if they showed me a technique and they asked if they did it right (and they hadn't) I would correct it. Just because someone's older doesn't mean they do the technique correctly. Kurt Osiander is older and I'm pretty that he either a) can berimbolo properly or b) realises a berimbolo is not realistic for someone his age and does techniques that he can do properly and work for him.

Seriously, why the hell is everyone getting so butthurt because a guy berimbolo'd wrong, someone asked if it was wrong and I said it wasn't? If he was in his 20's everyone else would be saying how it was incorrect as well. The reason they say jiu-jitsu is for everybody is because different moves suit different people and pretty much everybody has moves and strategies that fit their body type. Just because he's 67 doesn't mean I can't say it's wrong. I suggest he does moves that he can do properly. I commended him for being on the mats for so long and being able to do what he can do, but age is regardless, he should stick to moves he can do properly.